Draft dirt jump design/construction guidelines; feedback sought

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So.... a little side project on which I've been working....

This is a guideline document that explains some of the basic principles of dirt jump design. Having spoken with major insurers in NSW, a document like this (once suitably approved) will make it much easier to get approval for quality public facilities. It's still a fairly early draft, but I thought it worthwhile throwing it up here for feedback.

The post is looking a bit bare, so here's a few shots from places I was able to visit earlier in the month in BC and Washington.

11060302_10153206878341171_2178775475190820795_n.jpg

11080880_10153216447346171_3649852962041426913_n.jpg

11018304_10153207138166171_1257458033493511831_n.jpg

11081359_10153219518431171_354831073642317327_n.jpg

Attachments

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as we had a massive dousing with rain overnight, now I have something to read instead of riding this afternoon. Looking forward to checking out the details.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd bump this up just to give Rotorburners one last chance to give feedback before moving this forward...

Come on guys - with the thousands of posts on here over the years whinging about certain jumps, surely there are some experts in how things should be built!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought it covered the design ideas well. I was hoping for more information on the construction such as suitable materials, soil/clay ratios, appropriate timbers and projected longevity of materials, things like that.

Your Risk Management table is missing a few columns from what I'm used to dealing with and seems overly simplistic. However, I can understand why you wouldn't complete a proper generic RA and then have to be responsible if someone goes to court over an incident on a jump. You should include something about carrying out specific RA for jumps in your Important Caveats section.

"For example, other common feature types include “satellite dishes”, “whale tails”, “wallrides”, “elevated step-up platforms”, and quarterpipes."

It would be good if there were images of each as examples as well, for the reader who doesn't know what they are. A diagram of a line incorporating these features to show how they are used with jumps would also be beneficial.

It's a big effort. Well done.

Kramer

FoBR
Epic. Lots of detailed analysis, including lots of aspects I had never consciously considered when working on trails and jumps.

A agree with crank that a template / formula for estimating the risk presented by a jump would be good. Something like approach velocity x lip height x release angle / margin for error. If you keep the current format you should breakdown the risks by likelihood of the risk eventuating and potential impact in the event of the risk being realised, then assign risk mitigation measures against reducing one or both of these.

Tips on how to build would be good (eg. how to get the lip radius dialled, determine distance of lander from take off).

I think another disadvantage of gaps (11.1) is that they are more easily damaged (eg. kids climbing on the jumps)

17. Ongoing maintenance should mention that there should be a regular inspection process to identify unauthorised modifications or degradation of the jumps. If timber or metal structures are used then this should be mandatory. Maintenance should cover correction of drainage issues and maintaining drainage clearance. Also, might be worth considering rubbish clean up and disposal (thanks groms).