drainage???

grundy

Likes Dirt
before anyone complains i have searched and nothing has came up on this particular topic

So i have a fair big pit between two jumps at my locals, and i have been digging drainage (a trench next to my pit which water can flow into) the drainage has been working fine until now. The trench next to the main pit has been filled up with water and is now starting to bank back up into the pit. It is still raining outside as we speak and i don't want my precious pit to turn into a pile of mud, glop and shit. What should i do about this? i cant really dig the trench deeper (allowing more water to flow in) as the damn thing is full!

i also have a pallet in the ground of the pit which you ride over and water sits in between the cracks of the pallet

some advice on what to do or if any one has encountered this problem would be greatly appreciated.

heres some pics if the help..

you can see the start of the trench near the end of the pit on the left this continues and gets deeper and wider.

cheers joel,

Chin Nuts

Likes Dirt
you gotta keep digging drainage away from the jumps. its a shit of a job, but you have to do it if you have bomb hole style jumps where you dig down instead of piling dirt up. start digging.

DunCon

Likes Dirt
dig a trench from the lowest point of your pit about 5 meters long making sure that you always keep it running down hill then if it is flat ground your jumps are built on dig a farly deep hole maybe about 50 cm in diamiter and about 1.5 meters deep so water can pool in here and not your jumps bomb shelty make sure you put somthing over the top of the holw like a pallet so no one falls in it .

this also turns into a good source of mud for coating the lips of your jumps to make them rock hard

grundy

Likes Dirt
yerr thanks i ended up draining the water out of the trench that i have already dug then digging it much deeper so it should be good now
thanks

cretin...rider

Likes Dirt
You can just dig a trench from the deepest point of the pit and make it long and make it like a gutter so at the end of the trench it just flows out into thos bushes their. If done properly it works a treat;). Also are you Ashley Grundy

cretin...rider

Likes Dirt
Yes that is true, i didn't realise how deep those pits are... but u could dig a hole in the middle of the pit and put same planks over it so the water drains into it :) just an idea.

grundy

Likes Dirt
yerr ive done that with the pallet at the top. but sadly we had a throwing competition with pallets lol

thanks for the replies

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
we had a similar situation at our old dj's once

we solved it by just finding some old pvc pipe and dig a small enough channel for it from the pit to somewhere it can drain out.. in our case the jumps were on a sort of downhill slope so we could just dig out the side lay down the pipe, refill the hole and be done..

you could just dig a trench for it that goes away from the jump to somewhere for the water to fill out without the pipe.. works just as well but the pipe just makes sure that the water gets out coz the trench always has a chance of eroding in on itself especially if its loose dirt..

hope that helped..

digyourown

Likes Bikes
cos its at the bottom of the hill you could dig a trench before the first up ramp, heading away from the jumps so it lets less water actually get down to your jumps. then just chuck some wood over it for your run in. it has worked for me in the past. just a suggestion mate, good luck.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From my experiences, I have seen some some very effective drainage systems as such:
You have trenches which hold the water, but when they are full thats that. What you should do is dig out a pit next to the jumps. Make sure that the pit is big enough to hold the sum amount of the water which would run into it from the trenches...
That being that the trenches dont hold the water but meerly funnel the water into the pit. The pit should be I'd say about at least 1m cubed.

If that pit fills up, and the jumps become water logged again, just dig a second pit next to the previous one, the same size or whatever is needed, and then once the pit is doug, dig out a spill-over channel between the two, so all of the water from the first pit will spill over into the second one.

So the channel is like the gutters on the eves of your house, they don't store the water because they will easily fill. They meerly catch the water and move it to the storm water drain (which would be the pit(s)).

Also, obviously this doesn't really need to be said but it may help if you make the pit central to your jumps, so that you can let all of the trenches lead into the one pit. More effective and saves you having to dig 5 separate pits. JUst one or two big ones are then required. The water is also easier to recycle, come time to build and maintain your jumps.

hope this helps.