Dreadlocks

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit off topic sorry to the OP, but i might ask thi question and see if Karnige happens to have any advice.
I love not washing my hair, but after about 4-5 weeks, sometimes 1-2 weeks depending on weather and temperature, i get horrendous dandruff, does anyone else experience this? And is the only real solution to wash my hair? Becaue i love the dirty feel and look, but the whole, "My scalp is on my shoulders, wanna go out sometime?" doesnt really help me 9 times out of 10.
haha! I used to have dandruf, mum simply handed over some anti dandruf shampoo stuff, so I gave it ago (omg, I washed my hair :p) and it worked pretty well, I think having minor dandruf is part adn parcel of not washing your hair, as your scalp in not moisturized so it flakes and that leads to dandruf. I find that if you just wash it, not shampoo and condition it it help alot, in saying that its been a while since I gave my hair a wash and its feeling alright at the moment, and I have maybe 1% dandruf, most of teh crap that comes out is just fluff and dust. I don't exaclty have any advice, i'm probably one of the worst people ever to ask about hair care, as I just don't do it :p.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
This may sound stupid, but doesn't not washing your hair make you feel like a dirtbag. For me, if I don't wash it at least once a day, it just feels real greasy and itchy.
Awell I guess everyone's different.
plus the dandRuff thing - Recently my bRother and i have gone au natuRale. no haiR washing, his is long, mine is shoRt.

took a couple of weeks, but the body settled into it's own natuRal Rhythm, devoid of SLS and a bunch of other bullshit. My skin is also better than ever, after going fRom pRetty expensive pRoducts like Dermalogica - to nothing.

just give it a go man, you'Re using shampoo all the time, and you have dandRuff. get outside, do some exercise, eat half alRight, and stop washing youR haiR. can't get any woRse, can it?

Tizz--

Likes Dirt
plus the dandRuff thing - Recently my bRother and i have gone au natuRale. no haiR washing, his is long, mine is shoRt.

took a couple of weeks, but the body settled into it's own natuRal Rhythm, devoid of SLS and a bunch of other bullshit. My skin is also better than ever, after going fRom pRetty expensive pRoducts like Dermalogica - to nothing.

just give it a go man, you'Re using shampoo all the time, and you have dandRuff. get outside, do some exercise, eat half alRight, and stop washing youR haiR. can't get any woRse, can it?
Yeah, I'll give it a go, cheers man.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Note: by wash I mean shampoo.

I never wash my hair, except for when I'm about to get it cut, and just after getting cut, to get all the little hairs out.

If you don't wash it regularly, you don't produce the oils/grease, cause thats the body's reaction to you taking it all away. I just phased out shampoo over like 3 months a few years ago, I only ever washed it every few weeks anyway so I couldn't see the harm.

'sall good.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt

What do you do before shaving? Just hot water? I'm intriqued by this method...

FARK!! Why so much?

Because it involves a lot of work?

Ryan

Radministrator
Been there, done it, got the T-shirts and photos to prove it.

- Wash your hair you dirty bastards. Freshly washed hair is the easiest stuff to knot in the world. Just wash it with plain, unscented soap then don't condition it, it will be a dread-making paradise.
- Swim in the sea as often as possible, don't rinse the water out. Salt-water hair is second only to just-washed hair in terms of knotting potential.
- Section off a square inch or so of hair, fire a rubber band around the base of it, get a pet brush and tease the hell out of it back towards the base. This is called back-combing, this makes knots, knots are good.
- Surfboard wax? Fucks sake, they make dreadlock wax for a reason. Rub dreadlock wax into your freshly made baby dread, then fire another rubber band around the tip.
- Continue washing it at least once a week, swimming in the ocean and fiddling with / rolling them whenever you have a free hand. In a few months they'll be locked in and awesome.
- Have good mates. It's going to take a couple of your untrained monkey-friends at least a day, a full, serious 8 hours of work to do your whole head. You're going to want to ply them with food, booze and anything else they demand or they're gonna leave you looking like a pillock with half a head of baby dreads.
- If you have to ask how much a hairdresser will charge to do them, you can't afford it.

Last edited:

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
Am going to try to dread my hair tonight. Only got surfboard wax though. So will use that and put dreadlock wax or bees wax in it through the week. Will get photos! :D

l +Jarrod+ l

Likes Dirt
I've just attempted to twist tease and dread my hair with bees wax. I had already a few formed dreads appearing so i thought what the heck.

Question: Im a carpenter. Should i wear a bandanna to work to stop saw dust and shit getting stuck in the dreads because of the beeswax?

Ive found that when you have pretty long hair, you can just rub your hands through your hair for a couple minutes straight and it forms the general shape of like 5 or 6 dreads, from there you can separate them and rub them more, and just make them really knotty so they stick together. Not washing your hair for the first week or two when you do it helps to keep them together. If you want to get a surfy look to them, then you will probably need to go surfing...
salt helps them form together, so even if you do them before, and then go swimming at the beach a fair bit for a while, they will stick in your hair as long as you want, so long as you make sure that you rub them together every once in a while and make sure they are kept in good condition. Add some beads and stuff to them as well, makes them look cooler :)

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Over the last few months my hair has been going into its own sort of dready things :confused: It's also gone fairly hard + stiff, kinda like heaps and heaps of tiny dreadies (sp?). I'm presuming it's from swimming a fair bit (probably 4 - 6 times a week) in a VERY chlorined up pool, as one other guy i know has the same thing and he's a national level swimmer.

Not complaining, it looks alright / pretty cool. Just weird.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question for all those that was their hair bugger all, when its long doesn't it end up smelling, due to sweating when rocking a helmet/sport?

dezza1994

Likes Dirt
I got my dreads seperated, teased and waxed last week. Took 7 hours of pain! Next night pulled them out and combed. 3 hours of pain! HATED THE THINGS! 2 years of wanting dreads have gone. I've gone back to the short haircut! :):)