Dremel - better cutting discs?

udi

swiss cheese
Believe it or not, with a thread title like "Dremel - better cutting discs?" my question was actually in regards to the best cutting discs for a dremel, not "I'm unsure of which tool I need to use, please help me decide".

Not trying to be a dick here and thanks to those that offered useful suggestions. If you really want to feel at ease that I'm not jumping to the angle grinder or hacksaw when I could be, the specific times I use the dremel are when I am trying to do something where those tools won't work. An example is cutting non-circular holes, usually in aluminium, of a size where an angle grinder would be far too large. Imagine cutting a ~10x20mm slot that is not neccessarily rectangular (eg. could be a chamfered parallelogram) with an angle grinder - it's just not happening. Being so small as well as "blind" also makes it pretty difficult to use a hacksaw.

This isn't for one particular job. Unfortunately this time the material is 7075 series and it's taking too long as a result which is why I asked about heavier duty discs - anything capable of cutting mild or stainless steel will get through the high grade aluminium too.

The high rpm of a dremel is going to generate a lot of heat which will in turn cause the aluminium to "pick up" and build up on the cutting wheel , which then goes into snowball effect.
Thanks, unfortunately what I'm trying to cut is quite small which necessitates the use of the dremel until such a time when I can purchase a milling machine, which would be the correct tool for this job. I will give the wax a go, sounds like it will help. As above what I'm trying to cut is usually thin aluminium (2-4mm thick) of varying grades (usually 6061, occasionally 7075 which is a struggle for the dremel). I'm pretty sure there are better quality abrasive discs out there than what I'm using however - hence this thread.

I have used the EZ lock discs for a while. They haven't shattered (yet) like the stock discs (my eyes are grateful) but they aren't much chop compared to a proper grinder. To be honest I go for hand tools for cutting unless it's big enough to get the grinder on. I'm no genius, but I think the Dremel is just too small a tool and overheats really fast. Forever stopping to let it cool down, interspersed with needing to charge my cordless version.
Agreed on all counts - I am only using the dremel in instances where it is physically impossible to use hand tools (or quite impractical / even more time consuming) and too small a job to use a proper grinder. I have the benefit of the corded version so it's just the cool down time to deal with though.

Well, there's six people in this thread advising you not to use a Dremel. Maybe if you provide us with a bit more detail on exactly the job you are trying to accomplish, we might be better able to advise you on the right tool. I raced cars for 10 years, I've spent a lot of hours and a lot of $$ on aluminium fabrication, and still got most of the tools
I am impressed by your vast credentials, but let's try and figure out the basics before worrying about giving me advice shall we?
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...anchion-Wear&p=2831698&viewfull=1#post2831698

He's making a hucking kitty out of wood.
View attachment 302635
My secret is out! Please name this guy so I can get my patent lawyers onto him!

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
Out of interest, how long can your corded Dremel run for before it overheats cutting 6061? An aluminium version of that cat would look awesome...