Drilling frames

Anyone had experience drilling holes in frames to fit stealth cables?
Am considering it for my older bike.
Are there any particular areas to avoid, any traps that might catch out a novice modifier?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends on the frame and material. Steel, or ally, easy to go through bb shell or headtube, but if through the headtube you've got to be able to turn it at the bottom bracket.
What dropper do you have?

Depends on the frame and material. Steel, or ally, easy to go through bb shell or headtube, but if through the headtube you've got to be able to turn it at the bottom bracket.
What dropper do you have?
I would most likely go in the side of the downtube coming out on the upper side of the bottom bracket and then in the bottom of the seat tube. My HT has routing in it for stealth and would likely do similar.
Alloy frame. Enduro 29r.
Don't have a dropper yet, currently running an external cable but think this post is just about cactus. Prices on stealth posts are decent just now so could be the go?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Anyone had experience drilling holes in frames to fit stealth cables?
Am considering it for my older bike.
Are there any particular areas to avoid, any traps that might catch out a novice modifier?
This could get interesting. Are you pushing your frames limits? If not, indulge yourself.

This could get interesting. Are you pushing your frames limits? If not, indulge yourself.
Enduro has limits quite beyond my capabilities and even more than the terrain here can allow. Is pretty massively overbuilt in my opinion. Built to take all the abuse that can be dished out to it. I've had some high speed offs and intos, frame has never missed a beat. Few scratches is all
How much could it weaken the frame in reality?
Would be three small slots, approx 8mm across and 18-20mm long.
Stress areas would be the headtube junction, the BB interface and probably the seat tube/stay junction? Would be well clear of any of those spots.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Enduro has limits quite beyond my capabilities and even more than the terrain here can allow. Is pretty massively overbuilt in my opinion. Built to take all the abuse that can be dished out to it. I've had some high speed offs and intos, frame has never missed a beat. Few scratches is all
Stress areas would be the headtube junction, the BB interface and probably the seat tube/stay junction? Would be well clear of any of those spots.
My only comment is being alloy it should give you warning before failure.
Personally I would buy a new frame. Failure at speed in the nominated areas could have serious consequences.... my 2 cents

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Catch is...those stress areas and junctions are also close to where you would probably be putting the cuts. Heat treating, weld stress, force distribution, tube butting, internal gussets...I'm not familiar enough with your specific frame, what shape are the tubes? There is a lot of maybes in it. However someone in a factory somewhere does something fairly similar already, there must he a magic process.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Warranty will be fucked so just do it. If it shits itself buy another frame. If you cannot deal with that then run external routing.

It's this frame.
Mine had Pikes though. :clap2:
Specialized-2013-Enduro-Comp-29.jpg
I'm thinking of entry a little way down the down tube about dead centre and just above the bend , exit just below the bottle mount and enter seat tube a little above the BB.
Frame is coming on 4yrs old so warranty doesn't really apply.
There's already a small entry port for partial stealth routing that comes out the X-wing above the shock, but this is for externally cabled droppers.
Am I fettling too much? Should I just drink beer and do something else?

Go

Likes Dirt
Check out peter verdone's website. Step by step guide on how to do it on steel frames and plastic ones also

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely external. And get the KS Lev so you done experience dropping cables like you would with many others. Reverb... I'm looking at you.