Drinking and racing

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just intrested in how many guys who race also drink aswell. Not as in getting pissed most weekends etc but like a few brews after work/ride or at a party/bbq. If so, do you think it effects your performance on the track at all?
Is there any reason why you dont drink?

Will be intresting to see some replies.
Myself, 18 and races XC. I pretty much drank like a fish in the early parts of the year. I didnt really see much lose in performance but more mental than anything else.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
between 4 of us we knocked over a case on saturday night before the highland fling. of the 4 of us the guy that had the most (8 or 9) said he felt rubbish for the first hour or so and then came home strong. I had the least (2) and i didn't notice anything. the guy that did best out of the 4 of us had atleast a 6 pack...

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
If the worst thing you do is enjoy a few brews through the week, you're far ahead of the average Austrailans dietary concerns! A beer here and there makes no difference to a 'normal' person. If you're aiming for the world cup or something, maybe reconsider.

Anyway, to ride well you need to be relaxed :D

juzzo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont no about XC but riding bmx and dh it certainly relaxes you. My mate was riding shocking at the park the order day landing a trick 2 out of 10 times. Had half a tally and was riding amazing, throwing backies etc. Even having a big night before riding, you feel real seedy, ride real sketchy and are very de-hydrated. In short beer is good in moderation (as far as riding is concerned)

Juzzo

wittman13

Likes Dirt
My 3 best rave results this year have come the morning after the night before on beer. Wine does not have as good an effect on me.

I feel a sleep on my forth beer the night before the Scott, riding it solo this year. It powered me on for 20 laps. And the one I had after I finished had me wanting to do another lap.

Amber carbs appear to be good for pre-race. But to each there own. At 18, it sounds like you have plenty of time to come up with the winning combination for yourself.:)

tjb

Likes Dirt
No singlespeeder or cyclocross rider would ever have a beer surely ?

Last edited:

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I tend to split my year up into 2 or 3 periods of racing and I will train to be in the best physical condition possible when these races are on (not that I ever get as fit as I'd like). Leading up to these races and during the period, I go out/drink on occasions, but not heaps and try to go take it easy. I don't think the alcohol has a huge effect, but the late nights sure take their toll, which is why I limit it. But I have no big races until march/april, so Im making up for it all now :D

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
My theory is the night before a race I don't want to do anything that could potentially shock my body or disrupt it in any way so I always have at least 3 beers and a glass of red. Anything less and who knows what might happen?

I doubt alcohol itself has too much impact on fitness (in moderation) - the bigger concern may be the calories consumed which is quite high for the volume. Top level riders (road and mtb xc) tend to be paranoid about their weight so dead calories in beers and wine would be a no no.

Hillbilly.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want a happy balance and are worried about weight gain, go the jenny craig drink of choice. Vodka Diet Coke. You practically loose weight while drinking.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Alchohol = sugar.
Sugar = energy
Too much energy = fat
Fat = slower uphill.
Therefore.
Drink up and ride DH like a pro!
or.
Don't drink and ride XC maybe a bit quicker.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
Alchohol = sugar.
Sugar = energy
Too much energy = fat
Fat = slower uphill.
Therefore.
Drink up and ride DH like a pro!
or.
Don't drink and ride XC maybe a bit quicker.
yeah, this is pretty much the reason why i avoid alcohol more often than not. my drink of choice is beer and basically if i'm going to overindulge in anything i'd rather it be tasty food than the ~700kjs a schooner i'd get from the amber fluid... that's just me though.

BT180

Max Pfaff
What about the fact that beer dehydrates you? Aren't we all trying to hydrate ourselves leading up to races? I was drinking beer and also trying to hydrate myself before the Fling, so I'm not sure if I came out even in the end? :confused: :D