Drivetrain shimano/sram

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
Can I get an opinion on 11 speed drive trains ? I am upgrading from shimano 10 speed. What are the pros and co a of shimano/sram components. Would like 46 cassette with single nw chainring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Brand fanboy fight commencing in 5..4...3...

Shimano here, for me. Price, feel, compatibility, availability. You can use your current hub.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Mix, shimano cassette (sram only goes to 42 and aftermarket 46t are fiddly and expensive). Of you're weight conscious sram derailleur, price sensitive, shimano. SRAM shifter and DM aftermarket NW ring on sram s1400 or next sl (although RF NW rings are probably the least retentive) or hope cranks.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
sram for me, I prefer the feel, not quite as smooth as shim. but a more definite feel I reckon [prob just in my head]

I broke a 2hr old 11spd shimano chain, sub 80kg & not much pwr

to be honest ive gone back to 10 spd -bought the sunrace 11-40/42 cassette, I prefer the setup ease of 10 spd shifting, I was always fiddling 11 spd to get it perfect, where do you ride you need 46? what size fornt ring you going to run [I'm on 34]

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
46 is relative, ie 11- 46 vs 10-42 cassette both have a spread of 4.2 (actually 4.18181818181818... vs 4.2)
As mentioned, there is a lot of love for sram shifting, but it is hard to go past a full XT or SLX 11 speed setup for less than the cost of a SRAM X01 cassette (especially if you don't have hubs that can be readily converted to suit the 10-42 cassette).

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
I prefer Shimano shifter (XTR) and derailleur (XT) with SRAM cassette (XG-1150, 10-42).

I had a e13 9-44t cassette but I only rarely miss the extra 2 teeth on the biggest cog.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If cost is an issue, shimano all the way.

If you want range and you have a compatible free hub go a sram rear cassette for range. 46t is not a solution for any problem that exists, but it easily causes problems.

If I were designing a system from the ground up, keeping in mind cost and how long things last, I'd go the sram free hub , but the $109 sram cassette that's posted elsewhere on this site (it's cheaper and more reliable than srams higher spec cassettes), XTR shifter for double double with forefinger (st shifter is double down with thumb push only), XT deraileur (stronger than XTR, and deraileurs break)

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I get an opinion on 11 speed drive trains ? I am upgrading from shimano 10 speed. What are the pros and co a of shimano/sram components. Would like 46 cassette with single nw chainring

both are good, bit of a bummer that you can't buy sram online at the super cheap rate - you know shop at work and it arrives that week, whereas shimano all the way on price and build quality ... of course sram is up there as well quality wise.

I've just set up a 1x11 11-46 Shimano, faaark what a killer set up, took bike to forrest last weekend, no chain drop, wicked fast response on shifting and the 46 is just a cracker when it comes to climbing steep stuff with tired legs or when you just want to idle up and weave/stop at certain points. I even got a puncture, no problems was able to ride back to start on the 46, no just joking.

here's an 11-46 set up video. hope 34 up front, clutch off on shadow+ ... all new set up.

Last edited:

Richard Devey

Likes Bikes
Thanks fellas, my current setup is sunrace 11-42 cassette slx derailer, XTR shifter xt cranks, and 32 elliptical chain ring

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks fellas, my current setup is sunrace 11-42 cassette slx derailer, XTR shifter xt cranks, and 32 elliptical chain ring

If you go shimano, spent the $40 more on an XTR shifter. I have 3 shimmy 11sp setups, 2 with XTR shifter, and one with XT. The XTR is so much better shift quality, sharp and direct.