Drivetrain upgrade from Deore 10sp

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hey Hambo, same bike and same starting drivetrain as your. I moved to 12 speed and it made a lifetime of difference to me (not really...but the larger granny gear is nice to have when you want to sit and spin).

I picked up a new 12 speed Deore crankset, shifter, derailleur and chain from a bloke who took it off a new bike and was happy with the price I paid. If I was purchasing new from one of the popular online retailers I likely wouldn't have bothered. I did have to buy an expensive new Sunrace cassette because HG freehub...

I've got 12 speed on both of my bikes, (1 Deore & 1 GX) I've not experienced any of the common issues associated with 12 speed drivetrains. I also haven't had any trouble setting either drivetrain up and getting it tuned properly. There's a wealth of tutorials and tips on the internet which make it easy. Although given that you're apparently not proficient at the internet then these probably wont be of much assistance to you ;-)

If you want it, and more importantly can justify it with the Missus, then I say "go for it!".

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey Hambo, same bike and same starting drivetrain as your. I moved to 12 speed and it made a lifetime of difference to me (not really...but the larger granny gear is nice to have when you want to sit and spin).

I picked up a new 12 speed Deore crankset, shifter, derailleur and chain from a bloke who took it off a new bike and was happy with the price I paid. If I was purchasing new from one of the popular online retailers I likely wouldn't have bothered. I did have to buy an expensive new Sunrace cassette because HG freehub...

I've got 12 speed on both of my bikes, (1 Deore & 1 GX) I've not experienced any of the common issues associated with 12 speed drivetrains. I also haven't had any trouble setting either drivetrain up and getting it tuned properly. There's a wealth of tutorials and tips on the internet which make it easy. Although given that you're apparently not proficient at the internet then these probably wont be of much assistance to you ;-)

If you want it, and more importantly can justify it with the Missus, then I say "go for it!".
Solid burn lol

The microspline driver is the main sticking point, I'm not likely to have a new wheel for a while yet.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Thanks, worked long and hard on that one :)

I've got a HG freehub and the Sunrace cassette works perfectly fine with the Deore derailleur & chain. The only compromise is the top gear is 11 tooth rather than 10 tooth on a Shimano cassette as the HG freehub wont accept anything less than 11 tooth.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On the new build I finished in early May I put a Shimano 1 x 11 combo of XT and SLX. These came off the bike frame I broke back in October. I had been riding my Trance 29er only with a GX drive train. Works well but the 11 speed seems to work much better; seems smoother and there is not much between 46t and 50T. I am about ready for a new GX cassette which run $300. I think I can bu an XT 11 speed shifter and derailleur for that much. Also, it would mean both my bikes and my wife's would all have the same set up for swapping bits.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I'm running Shimano 12spd as it came on bike and it's great. Whilst the tolerances are tighter, I've found shifting performance and DIY maintenance to be similar to 10spd.

That said if I was upgrading from 10spd, I'd almost certainly go 11spd. Lighter, HG freehub, as easy to maintain, reliable, more than acceptable range, especially if 46T granny.

Honestly not sure how many people use a full 500+% range that often.. then again I'm in perf which is flat.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
It's possible to buy HG 12 speed cassettes. It does limit the lower tooth sprocket selection but its not impossible.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
It's possible to buy HG 12 speed cassettes. It does limit the lower tooth sprocket selection but its not impossible.
Sunrace do a HG hub compatible, Shimano optimised 12 speed cassette. SRAM NX 12 speed cassette will also work but you’ll need to run a SRAM chain.