Driving test tips

madmike1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well folks, after 1 year of holding a L license, im finally going for my driving test, its next wednesday the 27th.

so what i want to know is if you guys have any tips or pointers for passing the test.

the way it goes here in QLD is that there are 6 things which they can assess you on, and they usually assess you on 3 of them. the 6 being:

reverse parking
parrallell parking
u-turn
3 point turn
u-turn into a T junction
starting while stationary facing up a hill (footbrake used instead of normal brake)

Ill be doing my test at rosali in brisbane, i havent really been around there so if anyone know's that area, are there many stop signs and stuff like that?

And ill also be doing auto.. yes i know, but i heard some people using gear changing? while i ask my dad and he says only do that when towing stuff.

any tips on these parts of the test? and also any general tips that will help me pass the test? i really really dont wanna fail, cause that will mean im screwed for tafe/work

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Don't crash. It helps.

Seriously, just relax and drive as you normally would. Stressing about it like this would only make it worse. I'm sure there was a thread somewhere like this a few weeks ago too...

Edit: Don't forget headchecks!! So easy to do, yet so easy to forget and lose marks. There is something like 5 or 6 headchecks you have to do in a 3 point turn... And if Qld is anything like NSW, we got a 'guide to the P's test' thing in the pile of stuff they gave out when you get your L's. Pretty handy.

Last edited:

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I made the thread a while back. I actually failed the first time, because I was so nervous. I have my P's now though, so it's all good.

My advice is, there is a "Guide to the Driving Test" booklet you can download off the RTA website. It tells you everything you need to know about the test.

My advice is just to drive slowly, make sure you don't speed and relax. Make sure you're constantly scanning the road and just generally be alert for anything.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got my Ps today, It was my second try, my big tip is just relax, drive as you normally would, and try and have a chat to the assessor, it normally helps them be a little more lenient.

madmike1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats mike, did you do reverse parrrel park? Any tips for doing it? i sorta just get wheels on wheel with the other car then turn the wheel all the way round until i get to about 45 degrees then turn the wheel the other way.. But sometimes i hit the curb :S

So main thing is just relax, check mirrors ALOT/blind sports, indicate for everything?

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Yeah, you have to indicate for 5 full seconds before pulling out from the kerb. Most testers will start counting as soon as you put the indicator on so make sure you do it for 5 seconds. Seriously, find the 'guide to the P's test' book on the net or in your L's stuff and it will tell you EVERYTHING that you should do and what instant fails etc.
One of my mates failed instantly because he didn't pull out at an intersection when he had right of way, thinking it would be better off to drive safe.

madmike1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you say indacate 5 seconds, when coming out of the curb, Does that mean when turning left or right into a road?

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you say indacate 5 seconds, when coming out of the curb, Does that mean when turning left or right into a road?
It means when you're parked and you're going to pull away from the kerb, you need to signal for 5 seconds before moving.

I actually got my Ps yesterday, on the 15th =)

passtest

Banned
some tips for Tensed Learner Drivers:

1. Make sure you have read your study material thoroughly.
2.Effective study is more important, many people fail through lack of preparation.
3.We would recommend you do not spend more than 15-20 minutes with each study period, else your brain may start to switch off.
4.AS driving test contain lots of information for
study, its not recommended to leave it at last minute. Prepare in advance.
5.Find the most comfortable time of the day, when you can grab as much information as you can. Preferable in quiet and no distractions enviornment.
6.Its recommended not to give any mock test quizes unless you are thorough with your theory test.
7.Goal to get 49]50 correct answers in mock test quiz. Chances of passing in actual test will increase as your mock test quiz marks increases.
8.Before you enter into the test center, be calm.

Yeah, you have to indicate for 5 full seconds before pulling out from the kerb. Most testers will start counting as soon as you put the indicator on so make sure you do it for 5 seconds. Seriously, find the 'guide to the P's test' book on the net or in your L's stuff and it will tell you EVERYTHING that you should do and what instant fails etc.
One of my mates failed instantly because he didn't pull out at an intersection when he had right of way, thinking it would be better off to drive safe.
nice information

driftking

Wheel size expert
Try do 5km under the speed limit, You will get marked down for going too slow but you will fail if you speed. I found aiming to stay about 5km under the limit was fast enough to not get marked down and it gives you that little buffer for those speed variations.

Make sure to pay attention to where the stop sign line is. We have a place near us where people failed straight out of the testing parking lot, there is a stop sign before the footpath than you move forward ready to turn onto the street, most people stop over the path waiting to turn and just figure the stop sign is for that.

keep a good gap between the car in front and don't drive in other cars blind spots.

Pretty much drive like an old lady and relax.

tatems

Likes Bikes
Just rember: MIB (Men In Black) .. Or in otherwords, mirror, indicator, brake/blindspot (depending on situation) do this whenever your planing to do something

sherrie.melton

Cannon Fodder
I think it would be good for you to learn all the road signs and traffic rules. It is also important for you to remain calm and composed, so that you can manage the driving test with ease.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think it would be good for you to learn all the road signs and traffic rules. It is also important for you to remain calm and composed, so that you can manage the driving test with ease.
You should generally know the rules before you take your L's test, if you don't why are you driving a learner car around. You should know the signs around your town well enough to know how to drive. They don't give you another test on road signs.

God I hope you don't actually use the handbrake when coming to a stop. :rofl:
No he means he sticks his feet out Flintstones style to literally foot brake.

But seriously +1 what the hell is a normal brake, the foot brake is the normal brake.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Swear at everyone, absolutely everyone. There's fuckwits all over the roads, the sidewalks and their own front yards these days, and a driving instructor wants to see that you're aware of all the hazards around you; if you're shouting "Get off the sidewalk you fat prick, leave some room for the rest of us!" or "You think that's how you mow a lawn? You fucking disgust me! he's going to be very aware of your awareness, and that's definately what you want.