DT Swiss 240 front hub - centrelock nightmare

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I think i might be dumb, but ill put it out there and see what you all think.

I have set of DT Swiss XR1450 wheels and am only just getting around to putting them on the bike. The rear wheel fitted up no problems at all including the centrelock rotor and lockring.

So i get around to doing the front, rotor goes on spline fine, but when i go to put the lock ring on, there is not enough clearace between the thread (inner) and the expanded part of the axle and before the lockring gets anywhere near tight on the rotor it binds on the axle and stops the axle spinning. Now i have tried several different lock rings just to make sure i wasnt using an extra thick one and same issue with all of them.

Has anyone come across this issue before - i know im not really doing anything wrong as most of my wheels have been centrelock sets.

Suggestions - anyone?? :confused:

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Hey bud, yeah that's pretty much what I am using but the shimano one. I should have said in my original post that I am using 6 bolt rotors on the shimano adaptor for these wheels. I have also tried an actual centrelock rotor of one of my other bikes but still have the issue of not enough clearance. Driving me insane.

wattieez

Likes Dirt
ah right yeh that's the problem, the link i gave you has a different mounting system...
it's hollowtech 2 so instead of the tool going inside the thread it's right outside not interfering with the axle
if you want i can post a pic

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
If it were mine I'd take a round file to the inside of the lockring, removing the 0.5mm or so of material which sounds like it could be enough.

Messy sentence!

- Joel

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Hey Joel - I had considered going even further than that and using the dremel to knock of a little size. Buy figured put it out there first and see if any one else had cone across the issue. J

wattieez

Likes Dirt
haha that sounds messy

I'll pop up a pic tomorrow, though what do you want the pic of? which adaptor on top of the other?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
The Shimano centrelock lockring is just a (13t?) cassette lockring they've recycled for this application, not designed to get around a 15mm axle. A dremel was what I'd suggest first, but thought a file might be a more common tool. All the better for a tidy dremel job!

- Joel

DW-1

Dirt Works
The Shimano centrelock lockring is just a (13t?) cassette lockring they've recycled for this application, not designed to get around a 15mm axle. A dremel was what I'd suggest first, but thought a file might be a more common tool. All the better for a tidy dremel job!

- Joel
or the correct 15mm centrelock lockring. (Shimano should have one)

Elvis

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Nah just the back side of them side by side. My issue is the flange that the thread is cut into is to thick to fit between the axle and the centrelock thread. Ill post a pic tonight to try and show the problem. I still think dremel may be the only way to go.

As an aside, anyone know which shops in Canberra deal in DT Swiss wheels and hubs??

haha that sounds messy

I'll pop up a pic tomorrow, though what do you want the pic of? which adaptor on top of the other?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
DT swiss and Shimano both make the lockrings, the Shimano one is basically the same as the DT one on the previous page. Shimano model is available in aus through shops at the moment, DT one not. The Swiss may be too busy shuffling around the bank accounts of greek politicians to make rotor lockrings at the moment. :p

- Joel