DT swiss 350 hub service

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all , I need to service my front DT SWISS 350 hub . Can someone tell me how to do it or point me to a service vid . Ive looked at the DT sight and the service makes no cense . A vid would be way better . Cheers , Damo

moorey

call me Mia
Silly Q, but what's to 'service' on a sealed bearing front hub? Do you mean bearing removal and replacement?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hey Damo,
Is this the one you got from me ? DT hubs are pretty simple and that one would have done maybe 300km. Doubt you'd need to touch it for quite a while. As Moorey said, just replace bearings if required.

I guess if you get a heap of water in there you could try to repackage the bearings but I think it is best to replace in most circumstances.

moorey

call me Mia
Forget trying to repack. Removing the seals is going to lead them to shag out even quicker. Bearings are cheap, just replace them :thumb:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Silly Q, but what's to 'service' on a sealed bearing front hub? Do you mean bearing removal and replacement?
Correct. Cost me $22 for a couple of high quality Japanese sealed bearings to refurbish my sons 340 front hub (20mm axle - and about 10 minutes of my time).

Last edited:

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wanting to give them a service / Kleenex and replace bearing as the front hub Is makeing noise . Went for two very wet muddy rides and a friend thought if was a great idea to kleen my new tallboy LTC but submerging it in a creek for me. .

so is there a vid someone can point me too , or are the just like hope Evo hubs ?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Mate runs them, I only run hopes. Looks like the same push out push in, but redbruce sounds like the man to chime in here.

stoo

Likes Dirt
I haven't done mine for a while as I'm running a couple of pairs of hope wheels now, DT are on the spare, spare bike and the wife's bike, hehe...
From memory, just pull the cups out, drift the bearings out and press some new ones in. Unless it's an O/S front hub they'll be 6902 bearings ( also from memory, google it ) I made a press on the lathe for 6902s but you'll be able to gently tap them home with a socket, don't load up the centre of the bearing when driving them in, only the outside edge.
A brand new wheel's cups or freshly greased and installed cups will pull out with your fingers but they are pretty hard to pull out after a bit of use. I made an axle clamp for the vice on the lathe / mill, 19mm I think for 15mm front hub?? You could use pliers and a rag to avoid scratching the ano otherwise?
Good luck with it.....

redbruce

Eats Squid
I haven't done mine for a while as I'm running a couple of pairs of hope wheels now, DT are on the spare, spare bike and the wife's bike, hehe...
From memory, just pull the cups out, drift the bearings out and press some new ones in. Unless it's an O/S front hub they'll be 6902 bearings ( also from memory, google it ) I made a press on the lathe for 6902s but you'll be able to gently tap them home with a socket, don't load up the centre of the bearing when driving them in, only the outside edge.
A brand new wheel's cups or freshly greased and installed cups will pull out with your fingers but they are pretty hard to pull out after a bit of use. I made an axle clamp for the vice on the lathe / mill, 19mm I think for 15mm front hub?? You could use pliers and a rag to avoid scratching the ano otherwise?
Good luck with it.....
Correct.

Pretty sure I have the manual/instructions for all DT hubs somewhere.

PM me if you want it.

EDIT: Just saw Hools response. That's where I got them

Last edited:

stoo

Likes Dirt
I just staggered over to the shed to get tool pics.

Just rip the caps out with a rag over pliers, or with an axle vice ( 15mm hub is actually 21mm )
Then drift bearings out using a bit of bar a bit less than the 15mm bearing ID in diameter, I made this brass one. The internal crush tube will move to the side slightly to allow the drift to grab the edge of the bearing.
Clean everything, apply grease then pull the new bearings in with a tool like this or use washers / bolts or whatever.
Re fit dust seals, I made a tool ( top left ) for that but they're not hard to push in by hand.
Grease all surfaces and re-install cups. 9mm cups will need a different clamp I guess? 20mm O/S hubs, same deal but different clamp required too, and larger bearings.
I paid $61 for my last 10 pack of 6902s, for $12.20 I can change my Heckler main pivot bearings every year, they're the same bearing size, press works too.