dt-swiss wheels

master@dh

Likes Dirt
hey,
iv'e got rennies old dt-swiss fr2350 wheels and for some gay reason a dh tyre is really hard to get on. im not saying its imposible but if you do manage to get it on you pinch the tube. iv'e recently had the wheel on my street bike and i genrally run a monorail on but putting the monorail on is like putting a dh tyre on a normal rim

can anyone help me out:confused:

k_d

Likes Dirt
hey,
iv'e got rennies old dt-swiss fr2350 wheels and for some gay reason a dh tyre is really hard to get on. im not saying its imposible but if you do manage to get it on you pinch the tube. iv'e recently had the wheel on my street bike and i genrally run a monorail on but putting the monorail on is like putting a dh tyre on a normal rim

can anyone help me out:confused:
Sometimes it is just down to the design of the rim, which means that some rims are harder to get tyres onto (rhynolite), and others aren't (721). Spray some armorall on the outside of the rim where you are putting the last bit of the tyre on, as this makes it more slippery. Also, try inflating the tube slightly to avoid pinch flats.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have never used a tyre lever to put a tyre on. I use my hands to pull the beat onto the rim. If you think about it and make sure that the tyre is sitting in the dish of the rim then it is actually very easy to do with your hands.

And before anyone has a go I can put minions onto Mag30s, rhynolits, 721s, MTX, 5.1s, 823s, DeeMax and Alex supra Ds or any other rim by hand.

When we were in Whistler a mate had to put a new tube in. He tried using a tyre lever and ended up with a few pinch flats. We told him how to put the tyre on with your hands and he couldnt believe just how easy it was once shown.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^ He is on it. I've never owned a tyre lever and due to that have always put on or removed tyres by hand. Good workout for your hand muscles but I've always found it much easier that way rather than using a tyre lever.

Some rims tyres just seem to fall on and others are a bugger. Have a crack by hand or soap the rim/tyre or as mentioned earlier spray Armorall on.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a read on the CRC reviews for the wheelset, some guy says that it is the rim tape for some reason and a lot of people agree'd with him??

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a read on the CRC reviews for the wheelset, some guy says that it is the rim tape for some reason and a lot of people agree'd with him??
Its not the rim tape.

Its the depth of the dish that the rim tape covers. If the dish is deep then it is really easy to get the tyre on. A shollow dish is a pain in the ass.

BT180

Max Pfaff
And before anyone has a go I can put minions onto Mag30s, rhynolits, 721s, MTX, 5.1s, 823s, DeeMax and Alex supra Ds or any other rim by hand.
I think you replied to my thread about the same issue with my DT E2200's. Are you in Sydney? I bet anything you can't remove or install my tyres onto my rims by hand.

If you can, I'd love to see the technique! :)

Last time I fitted a tyre it took three of us. :eek:

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you replied to my thread about the same issue with my DT E2200's. Are you in Sydney? I bet anything you can't remove or install my tyres onto my rims by hand.

If you can, I'd love to see the technique! :)

Last time I fitted a tyre it took three of us. :eek:
I never remove tyres by hand always use 1 or 2 plastic levers, but I always install tyres by hand. I havnt come across a tyre/rim combo that I havnt been able to do.

Yes I am in sydney. Would love to have a go and hopefully prove you wrong:D:p

T-Rex

Template denier
I've PM'd him so hopefully wheel find out! :D
I really want to see the result of this, keep us posted. I've managed to pinch a couple of tubes fitting DH tyres, although the House of Rex mostly runs ghetto tubeless. That said I have even managed to punch a hole through the rim strip/bmx tube with a tyre lever!

I can put a XC tyre on by hand no problem, and even some single ply DH tyres eg high rollers. I totally get what VTSS350 is saying about the depth of the dish, it gives the rigid wire bead somewhere to go while you pull it over the rim on the opposite side. But there's no way I could get, for example, a Minion onto a MTX without the assistance of both my burly Park DH tyre levers.

Last edited:

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
I never remove tyres by hand always use 1 or 2 plastic levers, but I always install tyres by hand.
most tyre/rim combos are easy enough to get off by hand. you lift the section opposite the valve over the bead of the rim and push your body weight on your hands, pulling the tyre right off. only really stubborn, tight tyres require tyre levers.

with the pinching of your tubes, after rolling the tyre onto the rim, go over the whole tyre rolling it your hands ensuring the tube doesnt get caught between the beads and then partially inflate ensuring nothing is snared and that the tyre is seated properly. then deflate and inflate....

o and if you have a 700c wheel, a specialized armadillo is excellent practice for installing a tyre. these buggers are tight about 3/4 worked around on any rim...

BT180

Max Pfaff
Minion DHF dual ply onto a DT Swiss E2200 rim. My rear single ply Hansventure is also a struggle.

Last edited: