Dual ring chainguide + Giant Reign

Hey guys,

Just got back into the MTB game after a long lay off. Bought myself a 2009 Giant Reign 1 second-hand and want to fit it with a dual ring chainguide.

Problem is I have about as much mechanical knowledge as my pet dog.

So do I need the BB mount or an ISCG mount (I can't see any holes in the frame for an ISCG) and will this be relatively easy to fit without the need for filing or modifying anything which I am highly likely to fuck up? Has anyone used this chainguide, not sure if it'd be safer to just go with a single ring?

Here's the bike - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/reign.1/2336/32063/#overview

Here's the chainguide - http://bythehive.com/e-thirteen/trs-enduro/trs-dual-dmb-guide/

Cheers

e.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure there are no ISCG mounts for the 09 Reign so that's why you can't find them.

I don't know about going 2x10 but 1x10 is a pretty simple job and seems to work a treat.

Here is a good thread on it - it's been going for a while so skim over it.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?262580-1x10-without-a-chainguide

For 1x10 I basically just swapped out the rear derailleur with a clutched type (Shimanos version are called Shadow+ (e.g. SLX Shadow +, XT Shadow + etc). Clutch mechs helps reduce chain slap and keep the chain firm.

I then removed the front derailleur and replaced the front rings with a 32 tooth Narrow wide (NW) ring which is specifically made for 1x10 set ups. Plenty of brands out there as well as tooth options- Raceface, wolftooth 30t, 32t, 34t etc. The NW ring replaces your middle ring.

Your bolts will be too long now, so either use spacers, file them down, or just buy the correct ones :thumb:

Hope that helps. Hopefully someone can answer your 2x10 part.

takai

Eats Squid
You can use a BB mount ISCG adapter and thin down one of the tabs, and then use a shorter bolt in that spot.

Works relatively well.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The conversion is pretty simple, provided you have the tools to remove the crank and bottom bracket. You will probably also need some bottom bracket spacers and crank spacers and chain ring spacers to get the chain line running smooth and avoid the granny tabs on your crank from hitting the chain guide. If you run the 2 big rings and take off your granny ring (not the usual way of doing things) you could grind the granny tabs down and run the crank closer to the frame without this issue.

alternatively you could take it to a shop and pay them about $30 and have it installed for you.

Pretty sure there are no ISCG mounts for the 09 Reign so that's why you can't find them.

I don't know about going 2x10 but 1x10 is a pretty simple job and seems to work a treat.

Here is a good thread on it - it's been going for a while so skim over it.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?262580-1x10-without-a-chainguide

For 1x10 I basically just swapped out the rear derailleur with a clutched type (Shimanos version are called Shadow+ (e.g. SLX Shadow +, XT Shadow + etc). Clutch mechs helps reduce chain slap and keep the chain firm.

I then removed the front derailleur and replaced the front rings with a 32 tooth Narrow wide (NW) ring which is specifically made for 1x10 set ups. Plenty of brands out there as well as tooth options- Raceface, wolftooth 30t, 32t, 34t etc. The NW ring replaces your middle ring.

Your bolts will be too long now, so either use spacers, file them down, or just buy the correct ones :thumb:

Hope that helps. Hopefully someone can answer your 2x10 part.
Cheers for the tips dude! Sounds like a 1x10 would be a less complicated setup. Do you find the 32T chain alright for getting up hills as well as down them?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the tips dude! Sounds like a 1x10 would be a less complicated setup. Do you find the 32T chain alright for getting up hills as well as down them?
The 32t was a good start for me. It essentially just replaced the middle ring. Hills are no problems - and basically the first couple times you do struggle you just suck it up and go hard because you haven't got any other choice. Going down hills is fine too, never dropped a chain yet and have been riding 1x10 for well over 12mths.

Like Pink Poodle mentioned, make sure you have the right tools though. You will need at minimum a crank removal spanner to go 1x10, and maybe a chain ring spanner.

Last edited:

John Muldoon

Likes Bikes
I went with a 34T on my Reign. It just changed my hill climbing technique. If I'm on the easiest gear and struggling... I stand up, grit my teeth and pedal. If that's too much it's time to walk :)

Thanks for the advice guys. If I were to switch the derailleur, should I get long cage or medium cage? Do they work differently?

Can you run a 10 speed derailleur with a 9 ring cassette or do I need a new cassette too?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've currently got a 2009 Reign 1 with an e-thirteen dual-ring guide (not sure exactly what model, will check) on it hanging in my workshop waiting for a full strip-down service......

I haven't had a super-close look at it yet 'cos I've got more urgent jobs queued up first, but I can tell you that you need a BB-mount 'cos it doesn't have ISCG mounts. The big issue that I can see from my not-at-all-in-depth investigation is clearance for the lower suspension link, rather than any chainring & derailleur issues. I'll try to remember to take some pics when I get onto servicing it next week.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Thanks for the advice guys. If I were to switch the derailleur, should I get long cage or medium cage? Do they work differently?

Can you run a 10 speed derailleur with a 9 ring cassette or do I need a new cassette too?
Only difference is the amount of chain wrapped to cope with the total gear range. Medium is plenty for 2x (basic rule: more chainrings = more cage - 1x = short cage. 2x = medium cage, 3x = long cage). For a given model the rest of the derailleur is identical.

As a basic rule you can't use a 10-sp. derailleur in an otherwise 9-sp. system, the leverage ratio (the distance the derailleur moves for a given amount of cable pulled) is different. You would also need to get a cassette and right shifter. The exception is with a bit of fudging you can make a Shimano 10-sp. RD work in a SRAM 9-sp. setup. This is the only exception to the non-compatibility rules (paging Moorey for details. :wink: )

So at a minimum here I'm going to need a new derailleur, new cassette, chain ring and chain guide if I want to convert to 1x10? I'm running shimano XT at the moment would it matter if I kept that and just ran 1x9 with the new chain guide?