Dual ring chainguides

Craven Moorehead

Likes Bikes
I'm after some advice on chainguides for a dual ring set up.I've got a Craftworks FRX I've only had for a little while that I'm constantly dropping the chain on.It's set up with a XX drivetrain with 28/42 chainrings and doesn't have ISCG mounts.The only one I can seem to find which is BB mount and able to fit a 42 chainring is a MRP one.I've never used a chainguide before and was wondering if there were other options and do they work as advertised?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Oh crap... Just had a look at a pic of ur bike... Disregard my previous post :) I'm just gonna go eat a bag of ~~~~~~ !! :):)

Craven Moorehead

Likes Bikes
Don't be so hard on yourself old mate,you're right though that would have been a nice cheap fix.I just had a look at type 2 derailleurs and a X9 is half the price of a MRP chainguide so that's definitely an option.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Too many beers n not enough sleep,,, or is it, not enough beers n too much sleep..... Hang on! I got 2 young kids, so that would be NO beers n NO sleep... Hehe

Sounds like a plan, in case you don't already know, just be aware that if you go down that path and aren't on ten speed, you'll need a cassette too :):)

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'm after some advice on chainguides for a dual ring set up.I've got a Craftworks FRX I've only had for a little while that I'm constantly dropping the chain on.It's set up with a XX drivetrain with 28/42 chainrings and doesn't have ISCG mounts.The only one I can seem to find which is BB mount and able to fit a 42 chainring is a MRP one.I've never used a chainguide before and was wondering if there were other options and do they work as advertised?
I have found a Black Spire Stinger to be pretty effective.

Otherwise as T Rex suggested, a clutch derailleur.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Too many beers n not enough sleep,,, or is it, not enough beers n too much sleep..... Hang on! I got 2 young kids, so that would be NO beers n NO sleep... Hehe

Sounds like a plan, in case you don't already know, just be aware that if you go down that path and aren't on ten speed, you'll need a cassette too :):)
and a shifter too.....still prob cheaper than a guide.
apparently the 10spd shimano zee shadow+ derailleur with a 9 spd SRAM shifter will work perfectly on a 9spd cassette.

i'm going to give it a go soon.

Chil

Likes Dirt
apparently the 10spd shimano zee shadow+ derailleur with a 9 spd SRAM shifter will work perfectly on a 9spd cassette.

i'm going to give it a go soon.
Sure does! Back on topic, I think the XX shifter will certainly work with a ten speed type 2 X.9 derailleur.

Just re read this and I sound up myself sorry :(

Mitchy I have done the 10speed Zee derailleur to X.0 and works quite well you'll need an extra spacer at the derailleur end to get the ratios closer, if you need any more info feel free too pm me.

Last edited: