Dual Slalom bring back the fun!!

I know the old 4X vs. DS has been a much debated topic and that the same points are raised over and over again.... but isn't time that we saw the resurgence of Dual Slalom? I say lets bring back the fun!!!

As a rider it is one of the most fun disciplines to ride, ripping a berm, drifting, jumping fun little doubles/tables, manualing a rhythm section!.
It is also perfect for beginners to learn basic skills which then can be applied to downhill or 4X and you don't need a super expensive bike to get into it.

Some of my favorite events to watch through the year are the Sea Otter DS and Crankworx DS, these courses are well designed and look amazing to ride, no to mention the closeness of the racing is spectacular to watch and i think Australia needs something of the sort... imagine having a similarly built DS track on the front side of Stromlo... Imagine having an event next time the world cup rocks into town just like the pump track worlds!!! the hipe! the energy! and the amazing basic skills displayed by the worlds best riders!

I would love to see this become a reality but for the moment it only feels like a distant pipe dream...

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Dual slalom is off the chain, i love it.
I am about to attempt to build a dual race track in the same style as sea otter and crankworx. i dont have the fall of those track but we were given pedals for a reason!!!!

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about dual pump track? It'd be tricky to build a suitable course, maybe a figure 8 with a crossover but the racing would be awesome.

hahaha yeah that would be awesome! and pump tracks are all the rage atm.

I think that the Crankworx 2008 course (the year J.D Swanguen won) had many pump track elements and didn't require much pedalling, much more flow to the course, hence the reason Swanguen won.

would love to see course similar to that over here.

CR15PY

Squid
Down here in Tassie, we have recently had a Dual Slalom jam out at Glenorchy Bikepark. It was a day to just ride and have heaps of fun with some random racing at the end. We drew two names out of a box and thats who got to race each other. It was the best thing ever and there was a great turnout for a non-club event. After, we were asked on our state forum whether we should do it again. There was not one no for an answer. Dual Slalom is the sickest thing ever and we should definitely have heaps of DS tracks in Australia. I reckon it should be a UCI event too:D

Gary.A

Squid
dual slalom is hands down sick!
I mean miles better than 4x, for the riders and the viewers, just the raw, head to head racing, and the fact that there is always the chance for the other rider to come back without a pass, this also means riders are on the edge and flat out rather than having the advantage block passes from riders behind them.
If you compare the sea otter ds final to the 2010 4x world champs you will see just how good it is.
I would love to see dual slalom integrated into the national and international series

song

Likes Dirt
ye but the problem is there aren't any proper Dual Slalom Facilities in Australia. The closest we can do is set out a couple of cones on a hilly grass park. Either way it's still exciting!