Dumb Transformers Question....

petri

Likes Dirt
Sorry to sound stupid (again:rolleyes:)

What type of machine is the new Megatron supposed to be? In the old cartoon when i was a kid he was a handgun that one of the other Decepticons operated and everyone shat themselves when he transformed because the blast would be huge....

Come on, slam me for posting this (i'm too old to know what's going on anyhoo)..... someone tell me pleeze..

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A plane. Not sure on the exact one but I think it was an F-22 or something? Unless that was Starscream that is an F-22. But anyways hes a plane. Good movie to

petri

Likes Dirt
megatron is a Cybertronian jet very cool

starscreem is the F-22 raptor
Cybertronian Jet eh....... i get it, because he was frozen for so long he was already a sick machine rather than adopting one from 'our time'....

ta..... i think:D

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He's a form of jet. He's still in native "cybertronian form" meaning he hadn't taken on the appearance of an earth machine yet, like the other deceptecons and autobots. The directors reasoning is he didn't want any mass shifting. Meaning everything that you saw as a robot had to fit into their transformed mass. Impossible for a robot of megatrons size to fit into a hand gun, even a big one for star scream to wield. He still has his ionic fusion arm cannon tho.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, wasn't up for digging up the old transformers thread, so I may aswell post here. I must say that it is one of the best movies I have seen.
And yes, like stereochild I found that the proportions of the transformers changed about a fair bit. For instance when Optimisprime is holding the kids grandfathers glasses, they look as if a man was holding a pair of childrens glasses. But then they go fight in town and they are as big as the buildings surrounding them.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the previous transformers thread, but did anyone else notice the massive amount of product placement? Apple, Panasonic, GMC, MountainDew etc etc.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can guarantee you that there was only one animated model of each of the transformers for the movie, at around 30,000 parts per transformer i cant see them spending the time to CAD multiple sized robots. I think you should go back and watch it again, his hand looks massive compared to the glasses.

petri

Likes Dirt
No you cant. You have to go watch it again to see if we're lying or not...

\Bugger... have to also count if there's 30,000 parts with each bot..... I'm going to be watching it alot now.. and you'd think getting info would make things easier...:rolleyes:

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can guarantee you that there was only one animated model of each of the transformers for the movie, at around 30,000 parts per transformer i cant see them spending the time to CAD multiple sized robots. I think you should go back and watch it again, his hand looks massive compared to the glasses.
Wouldn't it take no time at all in CAD just to group the whole robot and change the size?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I thought it was a fairly bad movie.

The casting was crap, i couldn't figure out if it was a comedy or action or kids movie, the guy from sector 7 or whatever it was couldn't be taken seriously. And the main girl, while most definitely hot, was hard to take seriously in an action movie with that dumb pout look on her face the whole movie.

The plot was crud, im mean, trying to save a cube, push it into my chest to save the world, ahhh, come on, they could have done sooooo much better. The first 20mins of the movie was good but the middle and end sucked.

Animations were awesome BUT they made them too complex. They should have stuck to the cartoon versions, i found it so hard to tell which one was good and bad and to focus on them, just too complicated.

I would have given it 5/10 purely for the animations. If i was a kid it would have been cool, but it strayed too much from the cartoons. Call me a purist.

Rik

logged out
Cavedweller wrote my review, thanks alot :)

Same as above... robots were too intricate, plot was arse, spoilt the memories of a purist.
That said, it was probably the first movie I've seen where the CG was convincing. I'm a big fan of animatronics and would even prefer stop motion stuff over CG, but suprisingly the graphics in this were phenomenal and all the shadowing, textures and the rest were overwhelmingly good.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Back on the original topic :p

If my memory serves me well, I seem to remember him being the plane originally. He was destroyed sometime and was then rebuilt as the gun. Little help?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Back on the original topic :p

If my memory serves me well, I seem to remember him being the plane originally. He was destroyed sometime and was then rebuilt as the gun. Little help?
I **think** he could be either the plane OR the gun, he transformed to the gun when he was really wanted to kick arse.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wouldn't it take no time at all in CAD just to group the whole robot and change the size?
For the dumb solids yes, but the issue comes when you realise that the textures on them all would have been made specificly for a part of that size, so resizing the model would mean all the textures would need resizing. A useless exercise for an animation studio that has taken pride in it self to show that it can make a 5 story robot turn into a car and back.

Ryan

Radministrator
I would have given it 5/10 purely for the animations. If i was a kid it would have been cool, but it strayed too much from the cartoons. Call me a purist.
With the exception of Starscream being an F22 and Megatron failing to be a gun I couldn't see too many areas where it strayed from the original. The cube was just a big energon cube as far as I could tell, that shit is canonical.

Remember, this movie was based on a Saturday morning children's cartoon about robot aliens that was invented to sell a line of transforming action figures. If you were expecting high cinema you're not quite the fan you're making yourself out to be. ;)

joy boy

Likes Dirt
I dont like some of the voices in the new movie, the old one used to be normal people voices, now they've got computer sounds with it to.