Durability Stan's Crest wheels

speshboy

Likes Bikes
Still considering options for wheel upgrade. Was considering Stan's Crest or Arch Ex. I'm fairly light, 60 kg. how durable are the Crests for general trails, no huge jumps or drops eg. Lake parra, manly dam, OMV? Only ride once a week, about 15 km. Spoke to a well respected wheel builder who suggested because of my weight and type of riding I don't need anything too burly. Leaning towards the Crest for the lighter weight. So would the Crest be durable enough?

I have run 2 session of Crest wheels actually make that 3 with no troubles at all, I am 85kg and ride 26+29 Crest wheels have been brilliant!
I also work in a Bike shop and have sold 20-25 sets of Stan's wheels all with no dramas at all. They are hard to beat value wise and they tubeless up very easily with most tyres also the hub adapter options are pretty attractive.
Bottom line - - if I was buying wheels tomorrow they would be Stan's!

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
Given you only weigh 60kg and only doing XC/trail riding, you will have no dramas with the crest. I've built quite a few wheels with Crest rims for guys up to about 85kg for xc racing and they don't have an issue with them. The only issue I've had to deal with was a mate had a set of Hope Hoops SP3 with Crest rims. He cracked the rear out from the spoke holes. The problem with these was not the rims but the fact that the wheels were built with too few a spokes for him(83hg), 24 spoke front and rear. So if you go with a 32 hole Crest and have them built up by a reputable wheel builder then you shouldn't have an issue.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am similar weight to you and because I am soft, I have a set of them I run on my Rocky Mountain Slayer when i am riding longer AM stuff. The difference in weight from my heavier DH wheels is crazy!

As long as you are sensible with tyre pressures I don't see you having any trouble with them

disappearin

Likes Dirt
The only issue I've had to deal with was a mate had a set of Hope Hoops SP3 with Crest rims. He cracked the rear out from the spoke holes. The problem with these was not the rims but the fact that the wheels were built with too few a spokes for him(83hg), 24 spoke front and rear.
Im alittle over 80kg and ride/race xco and enduros. I've had crests with 32 spokes that have done the same thing, cracked around the spoke holes. First rim lasted about a year, once it cracked I purchased another rim and had it built up on the same hub. After about a year it started cracking also. I ride a SS HT and do a lot of k's so figured that a rim a year isn't too bad.

At 60kg, with the amount of riding you do crests should hold up for years.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
+1 to what MTB Wanabe says.

Crests are a good rim and can build into a good strong wheel. Go with 32h no matter how light you are and use a thinner spoke like the DT supercomp, DT revolution, Sapim Laser, CX-Ray. The elasticity of these spokes will make these rims last longer. So will running high volume tyres at low pressures. Using a 1.9 rear tyre at 50psi on a hard tail will see these rims start to crack around the spoke holes in quick time.

As an alternative to the Crest, I have used the BOR 333 XMD (326g) rim. Same inner profile as the Crests/MMX but has an offset spoke bed and eyelets. Lighter than the Crest but possibly stronger than the Podium MMX. The wheel I built with the BOR rim was for a carbon 26er HT and I was aiming at the lightest end result that would hopefully survive a year of XC and XCM race use. This wheel has seen the top step of the Masters podium several times and so far has needed no attention whatsoever after 5 months of training and race use by an 80kg rider. I used DT revolution spokes.