E-Bikes are not cheating

Minlak

custom titis
Watched this video the other day with Tracey Moseley and I think its one of the better vids at showing just how hard you work on an E-Bike. They are not marketed towards slow / old / fat / injured people either they are a sport in their own right.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've spoken to owners and they'd readily admit it's easier. There's an upper body workout given the weight to hoik about but it will take a stronger Jedi Mind trick to convince me it's as much or harder work than a normal bike.

moorey

call me Mia
I've spoken to owners and they'd readily admit it's easier. There's an upper body workout given the weight to hoik about but it will take a stronger Jedi Mind trick to convince me it's as much or harder work than a normal bike.
People need to tell themselves all sorts of things. It is us analogue bikers that are REALLY taking the easy path.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
There's a standard phrase book that's handed out with the purchase of an e-bike

"I work just as hard"
"I ride for as long but twice as far"
"They're not just for lazy folk"
"I'm still getting a workout"
"My bank balance wasn't important to me anyway"

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I am yet to do a day out on my mtb that has been as hard as some of the days I've had on my offroad enduro bike (eg moto) and I have done some massive days on the mtb (4000+m vert over 200km etc.). The fact that the moto want's to pull your arms from their sockets and the absurd g-forces on the quads adds up to a physical workout like nothing else.

But, it doesn't have to be that way and if you're the sort of person that doesn't like to suffer, then whenever you have a motor, there's the option to put around like driving Miss Daisy and this won't be the sort of workout you get having to pedal yourself. It's the riding you do when you're at your limits (of endurance or skill) that is the best training and with an ebike you have the option of continuing to ride without pushing that endurance limit.

I ride with my wife on her ebike all of the time. She does get a workout (and often a good workout) but it's nothing like if she had to do all of the work herself. It does mean we can do long rides together and at a good pace so I think ebikes are awesome but if you want to get the best possible workout I still think no-motor is the only way to go.