E-biking, lower heart rate & zone 2 questions

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It seems like the effort you are putting in is what is dragging you away from Zone 2.
Anyone can ride in Zone 2, almost anywhere, but people's egos won't like going that slow.

In answer to your question about whether your E-bike will make things easier, yes, yes it will.
If an E-bike keeps you riding and within your safe heart rate zone, it's a no brainer!
There is a caveat though, your heart rate will still depend on your input.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone can ride in Zone 2, almost anywhere, but people's egos won't like going that slow.
I'd disagreee. True zone 2 is actually really hard to achieve in real life without a lot of practice. Maybe on a flat terrain you could do it easily, but anything that is mountain biking I'd say most will exceed zone 2 easily even if they aren't consciously putting in effort.

I did zone 2 training for running and it was bloody hard, even slow jogging, the slightest incline would have me coming to a complete stop to get back i nthe threshold limit. On a mountain bike, with obstacles and climbs, very hard.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There is a caveat though, your heart rate will still depend on your input.
100%, my custom displayed screen has speed, distance and power, the power is the power I am putting on the pedals without the motors help. If you are bouncing off 25kph this can read from 150w-400w when pedalling up and over tech.

@cammas you would need to ride to a HR only, then if it elevates, bump up the help to a higher mode or down a gear or two.

It wouldnt take long till you knew what was ahead and could preempt a HR spike.

cammas

Seamstress
Current problem is I’m maxing all the time, so the occasional outside the zone is not going to be a problem there are way too many of my rides that are maximum for little return.

My days of racing are well and truly over I prefer to trundle along enjoying the scenery and the descending. Doing 100k rides either single track or gravel :eek:, smashing myself after work or on a Saturday are not as exciting as they used to be, just wanting keep it social to keep myself moving and motivated.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd disagreee. True zone 2 is actually really hard to achieve in real life without a lot of practice. Maybe on a flat terrain you could do it easily, but anything that is mountain biking I'd say most will exceed zone 2 easily even if they aren't consciously putting in effort.

I did zone 2 training for running and it was bloody hard, even slow jogging, the slightest incline would have me coming to a complete stop to get back i nthe threshold limit. On a mountain bike, with obstacles and climbs, very hard.
It would be harder to achieve running, no doubt, but on a bike it’s mindset related rather than ability.

You can ride/run really, really slow. As I said, most people just don’t want to

Flow-Rider

Burner
It would be harder to achieve running, no doubt, but on a bike it’s mindset related rather than ability.

You can ride/run really, really slow. As I said, most people just don’t want to
I think it might come down to your fitness, health, and how big and long the hills are. Even the ambient temperature can screw with your HR because your heart is like a water pump and thermostat in one. I struggle to keep my HR down climbing hills no matter how slow I ride, I go over by about 4 to 7 beats then it goes straight down as I get to the crest of the hill.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
So I have only done two rides so far with the Trance E and it seems to be working well for the heart rate, majority of the ride was in normal or basic as I don’t need to go full power all of the time. I did play around with the settings today dialing some of the assistance back in the lower settings, so maybe a different story come next weekend.

Very happy with how low I was able to keep it, mostly likely would have been higher and would’ve hit the 200’s. According to computer only 3% of both rides were in the peak which is above 177 bpm for me, so still a bit of work to do to get it down a little lower but currently a little unfit so hopefully it’ll come down in time.

IMG_8736.jpeg

IMG_8737.jpeg

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So I have only done two rides so far with the Trance E and it seems to be working well for the heart rate, majority of the ride was in normal or basic as I don’t need to go full power all of the time. I did play around with the settings today dialing some of the assistance back in the lower settings, so maybe a different story come next weekend.

Very happy with how low I was able to keep it, mostly likely would have been higher and would’ve hit the 200’s. According to computer only 3% of both rides were in the peak which is above 177 bpm for me, so still a bit of work to do to get it down a little lower but currently a little unfit so hopefully it’ll come down in time.

View attachment 406918
View attachment 406919
I wouldn't mind trying a heart rate monitor to see what my rate is when I ride and what the difference is between the Eeeb and the meat bike.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
HR is much lower on e bike since in the healthy body the peripheral resistance is lowered when supplying muscles and reduced to the gut etc.
HR then maintains the blood pressure.
you are using less muscle power .
Evidence is less heat and less puffing.

cammas

Seamstress
I wouldn't mind trying a heart rate monitor to see what my rate is when I ride and what the difference is between the Eeeb and the meat bike.
Here’s the difference for me, don’t mind the 200bpm that’s normal for me, but here’s a very similar ride just on the meat powered bike. So it’s a nice drop which is one of the reasons why I got the e-bike.

IMG_8411.jpeg

Flow-Rider

Burner
You can do the exact same thing on a normal bike, you just have to ride slower. I doubt that would be anywhere in your proper zone 2 HR.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Any slower and I would fall over, how slow do you want me to ride?

View attachment 406937
You've got to ride on the flat to train yourself at first, and it doesn't happen overnight.
I have the same issues coupled with mild asthma. Once you go into zone 4 you're done for the rest of the ride.
Sometimes you can overtrain and you won't get the HR down either until you have a good rest.