E-Cruising

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Like many here I'm not into e-mountain biking, but I have an e-bike which I've used for commuting. It's not great, it gives me 5 minutes on a 14km commute over my skinny tyre full rigid mtb commuter on leg power. Today, I confirmed what in my mind e-biking is all about, cruising!

My best mate who I met in the 90's through mountain biking has built the below bikes. The cruiser/board tracker is a full custom build that cost around $5.5k. The post bike is stock with a $1400 kit. We did about a 30k loop from Tuggeranong to Weston and had food and beers at Meating Room, and over to Stromlo for beers at Handlebar and back yo Tuggeranong, all but 3km on off road bike path. The kit battery dropped about 20%, the mega battery in that steel tank on the cruiser didn't register a drop on the basic battery gauge. Serious power and range. Averaged about 16km/h.

My mate wants to build street legal kit based bikes like the cruiser but similar kit as the postie, with a $2500 AUD price point. I'm going to put my commuter kit on one with some mtb forks.

They are just incredibly fun to ride, I rode the cruiser for about 9km of the ride and couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I wasn't fully convinced until today, and the bike has been built for 6 months or more but I hadn't done a proper ride on it, just down the street and back.

As for the postie bike we were paranoid and took both chargers for the bikes and a cooler bag with 7 beers, cable lock and other bits in the front bag. Could have taken 27 beers. Super comfortable to ride and nimble with that little front wheel. It's pretty special, until recently it had sat in a warehouse barely ridden for 20 plus years, mate is still trying to pinpoint the age.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Awesome ! I like hills and the leg burn, but fekkin hate it on a work commute, thats where an Ebike would excel... bought the missus one but 25kph kinda kills the rush on Tarmac, rumbling Minions too.

I kid myself as I work at sea level and live at 310m, I dont have to worry about the climb until the morning (12h nightshift)