e thirteen reducer headset questions.

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys, my headsets become a bit rough and i found that the bottom sealed bearing is worn its grindy and i want to replace it. Was just wondering weather the bearings can be taken out of the ethirteen reducer cup to be replaced with a new one. Also noticed its a bit smaller than other sealed bearings i held one up next to it. Very minute but enough to not let it sit in thanks in advance. Jacob

philw86

Likes Bikes
hey guys, my headsets become a bit rough and i found that the bottom sealed bearing is worn its grindy and i want to replace it. Was just wondering weather the bearings can be taken out of the ethirteen reducer cup to be replaced with a new one. Also noticed its a bit smaller than other sealed bearings i held one up next to it. Very minute but enough to not let it sit in thanks in advance. Jacob
Hey jacob,
You want an 873-2RS bearing (Integrated Style, 36/45 degree).

Our older ZeroStack headset cups didn't have a notch for bearing removal, but the newer style ones have 3 notches to help punch out the bearing (it shouldn't be a super tight fit).

As for the new bearing, Cane Creek and FSA both offer replacement bearings for their IS headsets, which is what you want. You might be able to LBS or find somthing online/for sale/local bearing store.

Cane Creek:
http://store.canecreek.com/products/productdetail/Cartridge+Bearing+%28Black+Oxide+Plain+Steel%29/part_number=.HSS20130K/1739.0.1.1.18069.496.56212.56284.0?

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks alot mate! was hoping someone like youwould contribute to this thread! i might give a bearing shop a go . thanks mate

flyracing

Likes Dirt
You'll have a hard time trying to the find the bearing your after from a bearing shop they don't really stock those sizes. The only place to get it from is your LBS or similar.