Early retirement / FIRE

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'm still banking on the sugar mummy option... I just need to make myself charming, young and attractive and I'll be set.
Are there options for people that are the opposite of those three things?

C’mon man, gimme some hope!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been maxing out super for a while since being a contractor. Letting that do its thing for the 20 years until i get it means i only need to look at svaings for the gap. I figure in another 10 years I'll have plenty to make the 10 remaining to preservation age, and my youngest will finish school around then. Nice insurance payout from cancer helped.

Not gone as far as picking a town though we comment on half a dozen nice options for whenever we head up or down the coast from Sydney. Being our age is a lucky bonus, a sydney house bought pre boom would make moving elsewhere much easier.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Personal spin on it. Canberra. Career, lifestyle. I'll never leave. We moved from Sydney 20 years ago. For me and my family it has everything. What it doesn't have is not far away. Huge part of moving here was the bike culture.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I’m many years behind Scotty, but moved to Canberra for exactly those reasons; family (mine, no extended locally), cycling, the snow and getting out of town in literally minutes.

Didn’t want the ‘burbsie lifestyle in Sydney but love it here.

If you can cash out of the city, you won’t look back.

(If you’re in your twenties disregard)

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
A few years ago there was plenty of places over there you could buy a house with your pocket money.

Why do you want to move back here?
Not in Auckland. We’ve spent the last 2 years heading down to Rotorua for a weekend nearly every month. That’d be the perfect place for FIRE but having spent a bit time in the town it’s not somewhere we’d want to live. Also I’m too much of a pussy to handle the wet and cold.

Why do we want to move back?

Sunshine.

Last edited:

frenchman

Personal spin on it. Canberra. Career, lifestyle. I'll never leave. We moved from Sydney 20 years ago. For me and my family it has everything. What it doesn't have is not far away. Huge part of moving here was the bike culture.
Hasn’t given Canberra much thought actually. Not sure why. It ticks all the boxes, although it turns into Satan’s cornhole in winter I think.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not in Auckland. We’ve spent the last 2 years heading down to Rotorua for a weekend nearly every month. That’d be the perfect place for FIRE but having spent a bit time in the town it’s not somewhere we’d want to live. Also I’m too much of a pussy to handle the wet and cold.

Why do we want to move back?

Sunshine.
Last time I was in NZ there was a newspaper article about the Auckland real estate boom. Apparently quite a few kiwis had returned from living in Australia, having become disillusioned with the way things had changed here and they'd cashed in their houses etc and gone home. I've no idea how accurate it all was, but it did make sense. I've often thought about moving to colder climes as I hate heat and humidity, but if you want sunshine...we've got plenty of it.

What is it about Rotorua that turns you off?

frenchman

Last time I was in NZ there was a newspaper article about the Auckland real estate boom. Apparently quite a few kiwis had returned from living in Australia, having become disillusioned with the way things had changed here and they'd cashed in their houses etc and gone home. I've no idea how accurate it all was, but it did make sense. I've often thought about moving to colder climes as I hate heat and humidity, but if you want sunshine...we've got plenty of it.

What is it about Rotorua that turns you off?
I’m all about the lizard lifestyle. I’ve got a bad knee that hates the cold.

The winter cold and wet would probably be the biggest hurdle there. Rotorua would be good if we both wanted to cash in and stop work in our respective fields altogether, but we’d both like to keep working In at least a part time capacity. As silly as it might be, the fact that the town centre has a ban on dogs really shits me. We have forgone kids thus far because they’re all arseholes and our dog is great. Don’t know why else but over the last couple of years we’ve decided it wouldn’t be for us.
Being able to ride there frequently has highlighted how important for us it is to have a bit of trail network close to where we live and work but not at the expense of everything else.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The only people that like Canberra seem to come from Sydney. I don’t really know anything about Sydney and have only been there briefly a few times, but this phenomenon doesn’t say great things about it...

I sorta get why some people like it here (or at least I’ve heard the reasons before), but it’s soulless and contrived in my experience. Great trails to be sure, but isolated and close to nothing. Hours to snow or the coast or anywhere else... And never ever cheap flights out.

There are many lovely places in Australia, don’t bother with this joint unless you’re here for work. And yes, it’s ugly in winter. And summer...