Earphones not working correctly with nokia 5800

Jarrod592

Likes Dirt
well some good earphones came with the phone but i purchanced some skullcandy earphones and they dont really work on my phone, one sides quieter and its very sensitive when i plug it in. I cant put the jack in full or it goes fuzzy and if i pull it out abit it will turn off so every mm counts when i put it in. :S

Help to get this working will be much appreciated

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Had this problem develop with my iPhone. Do you carry your phone in your pocket all the time? Borrow a bobby pin or similar off your sister or whoever and use it to clean out the headphone hole in your phone - you'll be surprised how much lint comes out, which can stop your headphones from being able to be fully pushed in.

Jarrod592

Likes Dirt
it wont be that problem becuase i just purchaced the phone last sunday and it wasnt working from day 1 so wont be a cleaning issue. it also happend with my nokia e63 but i just used the standard earphones( i was using iphone earphones)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
What happens when you try the earphones that came with the phone?
If it wasn't working from day one then I'd be leaning towards a fault with the phone.

Jarrod592

Likes Dirt
the standard ones work perfectly fine but since ive paid 50 dollars for these skullcandy earphones i expect them to work :). i tryed plugging them into my computer and was not fuzzy but the right earphone was very very quiet :confused:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Had this problem develop with my iPhone. Do you carry your phone in your pocket all the time? Borrow a bobby pin or similar off your sister or whoever and use it to clean out the headphone hole in your phone - you'll be surprised how much lint comes out, which can stop your headphones from being able to be fully pushed in.
i went to plug my iphone into my stereo the other day after a few days of not using headphones and to my surprise there was a small rock inside the headphone hole! managed to get it out and it works as new.

to OP, skullcandy aren't the greatest headphones, have you tried using a different pair (not the original phone ones) to see if that is definately the problem? if it is the phones send them back under warranty and you should get a replacement pair

Ryan

Radministrator
You've got a defective set of earphones. Skullcandy may look the biz but they are absolute, unaudulterated shit. Get them warrantied post-haste and then, when the warranty set crap out as well, buy a decent set.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Skullcandy isn't exactly known for great headphones. Sounds like a cold solder to the right channel on the jack.

Go to officeworks. Look for Ultimate Ears Metro 150V. If they have the same odd pricing as over here, they are $8.72. Here they are at another store. http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/productdetail.asp?SKU=23020307

They are quality gear. Not as nice as my sennheisers, but ever since sennheiser switched to that ridiculous elbow jack it's been downhill. The upper end of their range is still excellent though.

EDIT: And I'll add. Don't try and drive large diaphragm Hphones with a phone or an iPod. Without a headphone amp, you're losing out. Get an in ear set. They almost always have better frequency response compared to similarly priced external models, and they sit much better.

Last edited:

Jarrod592

Likes Dirt
yes i have tried using other earphones, today i was showing my mate some music and he had some ipod speakers and they kind of do the same thing. They do that really sensitive thing which i said before but its not as sensitive so its better. but other then that the earphones work perfectly. so my guess is after tafe today i might take them back get my money back and go next door to dicksmith and grab new pair or i might just test a new set :)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
the standard ones work perfectly fine but since ive paid 50 dollars for these skullcandy earphones i expect them to work :).
Screwy headphones - 95% sure.
$50 for headphones is pretty cheap, sorry to say.

...some ipod speakers and they kind of do the same thing. They do that really sensitive thing...

i might just test a new set :)
There's another thing to keep in mind, particularly with speakers that have their own volume control - if your iPod/phone volume is set high and you plug in a set of speakers they may distort. Set the volume on your iPod/phone as low as possible and adjust the volume with the control on the speakers.

There's no way in hell you'll be able to "test" a set of earphones in a shop. I'd be amazed if they even open the pack for you and there's no way you'll be allowed to shove the buds in your ears!

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Screwy headphones - 95% sure.
$50 for headphones is pretty cheap, sorry to say.
sorry but $50 is in no way cheap for a set of earbuds. sure you can easily spend more but $50 is an amount you would expect to get good quality gear. hell i know i did a couple of years ago. i've bought $15 JVC in ear buds that sound better than my skullcandys (that said i do still have the same set so i've had no problems with them, they just sound shite)

Jarrod592

Likes Dirt
i could test a few earphones from the rack cause they leave some out which are plugged into the wall for people to listen to. If its still shit ill just go next door to Dicksmiths and cheak out there range!

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Well, horses for courses I guess. $50 isn't Chinese-made-crap-cheap sure, but definitely at the cheap end of the decent brands. You can spend $400 on top quality earbuds.
you can spend $15k on a bike
you can spend $350k on a car
hell you can spend $50 on a cup of coffee.

most people, however, won't.

the upper end of the market means nothing (essentially) most people will only want to spend between 15 and 50 on a pair of earbuds (most will spend more on headphones cos of perceived sound quality, style etc etc). hence for $50 they should be pretty damn good. instead i rate skullcandy up there with Ed Hardy in terms of trends/overpriced/overhyped.

get some cheapo TDK in ear ones. i did and i couldn't be happier. they are nice n bassy, good mids and highs are there (not quite enough but hey.. $15)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
If you wanna take it that far, you can spend $6,400 on earbuds! ;):eek:

...most people will only want to spend between 15 and 50 on a pair of earbuds
Some people, yes... most people I'm not so sure. Anyway, like I said, $50 is the starting point for reputable brands so that's cheap in my book.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
If you wanna take it that far, you can spend $6,400 on earbuds! ;):eek:

Some people, yes... most people I'm not so sure. Anyway, like I said, $50 is the starting point for reputable brands so that's cheap in my book.
audiophiles (like car enthusiasts, hardcore bike riders etc etc) make up the vast minority of people who buy these things. think about the amount of regular cars you see compared to supercars or hotted up cars and you'll see where im going with this.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
My assessment is based on my own research. eg; minidisc.com.au - out of 140 earphones they sell only 3 are $50 or less. I don't think $100 pair of earbuds is gonna turn you into one of those nasty audiophiles! ;)

niftydog

Likes Dirt
I was just demonstrating that $50 is most definitely towards the lower end of the price range. Since JB - a discount retailer - stocks plenty in that price range that actually validates my argument.

Hey Jarrod592, how'd you get on?

Last edited: