Earth Hour

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Actually AngoXC has touched the 'ice berg' so to speak.
I've got no problem with people who can actually back up what they're saying, but not when someone shouts "Conspiracy Theory!!" and refers vaguely to "the earth's cycles" without any more detailed information or evidence.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I can not belive some peoples stupidity (you know who im talking about).

If this was say 5 years ago, I wouldnt be that surprised, but Its pretty common knowledge that Climate change is real. There has been research into it for decades now and it is undenyable (sp) that roughly since the industrial revolution, people have had a significant influence on the climate.

I think some of you guys need to read some scientific material about climate change before you go making these poorly educated statements about climate change so that a) we dont have to listen to it and b) so people dont think your a total f**k wit.

sorry if that was inappropriate, but peoples unedducated beliefs that climate change isnt real realy pissed me off.

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Looking at this graph we are SCREWED!!!

This comparison between solar activity and Earth temps however show that it is the sun that is causing the variations in temperature.

And this graph which looks at the global climate over a longer period than above show that there have been recent periods 'worse' than now.

Seriously if you want me to I can find graphs that give very conflicting evidence (on pretty much anything controversial, not just global warming) all from 'valid' sources. Don't just look at info given to you, find out where it came from, who did the studies, what else has this person done research on etc. You get so called experts looking at tectonic processes and prior to this they have only done work in economics.

The graphs I have used above are all based of certified scientific research but all have features which all make them look biased. The first is a very short term graph, this means almost squat when it comes to a geological process. The second, the data for solar activity stops in the 70's, why? Because the data after that point actually conflicts. The third is actually totally correct BUT this interpratation of sea levels is up to the person who did the work. Many different people have come to different conclusions, this graph is from a US government agency

I personally think that sea levels are rising but we are not responsible for it. Sea levels have been much higher previously and over 100 m lower during human time. This is not the only time humans have had to deal with a changing Earth and we sure as hell won;t be the last (unless global warming kills us all, wouldn;t that make me look stupid:eek:)

I do agree with all the claims that we need to change our way of life purely for the fact that one day we will run out of oil, we will run out of coal. For the last 100 years these two substances have been a cheap easy source of energy but they are going to run out. By trying to follow Kyoto we have to change our industrial processes and research alternative power sources. This means when we run out we will be ready.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt

This comparison between solar activity and Earth temps however show that it is the sun that is causing the variations in temperature.

And this graph which looks at the global climate over a longer period than above show that there have been recent periods 'worse' than now.

Seriously if you want me to I can find graphs that give very conflicting evidence (on pretty much anything controversial, not just global warming) all from 'valid' sources. Don't just look at info given to you, find out where it came from, who did the studies, what else has this person done research on etc. You get so called experts looking at tectonic processes and prior to this they have only done work in economics.

The graphs I have used above are all based of certified scientific research but all have features which all make them look biased. The first is a very short term graph, this means almost squat when it comes to a geological process. The second, the data for solar activity stops in the 70's, why? Because the data after that point actually conflicts. The third is actually totally correct BUT this interpratation of sea levels is up to the person who did the work. Many different people have come to different conclusions, this graph is from a US government agency

I personally think that sea levels are rising but we are not responsible for it. Sea levels have been much higher previously and over 100 m lower during human time. This is not the only time humans have had to deal with a changing Earth and we sure as hell won;t be the last (unless global warming kills us all, wouldn;t that make me look stupid:eek:)

I do agree with all the claims that we need to change our way of life purely for the fact that one day we will run out of oil, we will run out of coal. For the last 100 years these two substances have been a cheap easy source of energy but they are going to run out. By trying to follow Kyoto we have to change our industrial processes and research alternative power sources. This means when we run out we will be ready.
Seriously, do you think it is so simple? It's all the sun?

The graph you show with the solar correlation is from a completely debunked movie called 'The Great Global Warming Swindle'. It isn't from a scientific source. Even though the movie was made only a couple of years ago, the temperature part of the graph stops nearly 30 years ago.

Why?

Because there is no correlation between solar activity and temperature since then.

The film makers are frauds, and only the gullible believe this stuff.

You talk about valid sources but don't use them yourself. In science, valid sources are the peer-reviewed literature. That doesn't mean that anything that is peer-reviewed is correct, but it is likely to be. However, most things rejected are rejected for good reason - like most of the global warming denialist stuff.

It's important to note that anthropogenic global warming isn't based on correlations on graphs. It's based on radiative physics. It's been long known that the Earth's temperature is different to that of the moon due to the greenhouse effect (which is a poor analogy, because it's nothing like a greenhouse). CO2 has long been know to be a greenhouse gas. It is simple to prove experimentally.

AGW isn't fact. Nothing in science is. But going on the available evidence, it is the most likely explanation. And it's worth doing something about.

DHcaba

Squid
unless the fire breaks where over 100m they wouldn't have done squat
it's called fuel reducing burns, quite easy, safer for us, safer for the animals, instead of eveything getting burnt, only the leaflitter on the groud gets lit, and the small shrubs, small, low heat, controlled burn, but since it's all locked up, they cant do it, thus we have massive fires like we jsut did

this is another example of national park madness, cant ride a pushy thru the park aye? rain will do mroe dmg then a bike type will ever be capable of doing, get real

The graph you show with the solar correlation is from a completely debunked movie called 'The Great Global Warming Swindle'. It isn't from a scientific source. Even though the movie was made only a couple of years ago, the temperature part of the graph stops nearly 30 years ago.

Why?

Because there is no correlation between solar activity and temperature since then.

The film makers are frauds, and only the gullible believe this stuff.

You talk about valid sources but don't use them yourself. In science, valid sources are the peer-reviewed literature. That doesn't mean that anything that is peer-reviewed is correct, but it is likely to be. However, most things rejected are rejected for good reason - like most of the global warming denialist stuff.

It's important to note that anthropogenic global warming isn't based on correlations on graphs. It's based on radiative physics. It's been long known that the Earth's temperature is different to that of the moon due to the greenhouse effect (which is a poor analogy, because it's nothing like a greenhouse). CO2 has long been know to be a greenhouse gas. It is simple to prove experimentally.

AGW isn't fact. Nothing in science is. But going on the available evidence, it is the most likely explanation. And it's worth doing something about.

and what percentage of the atmosphere is CO2, um, let me think, maybe 0.0384% by volume...lol

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
I can not belive some peoples stupidity (you know who im talking about). Blah blah blah.
Of course it's real. We only care about it because we can measure it. Humans only care about shit as soon as they can measure it. Atoms, measured. Sickness, measured. Poverty, measured. As soon as something is put into a statistic we 'care'.

Seriously, if nobody bothered to measure the average temperature of the Earth, we wouldn't give a toss, and we'd probably be living happily.

We are undoubtedly making a difference, but it'll be many years before we know the true extent of that.

The average individual can't really make a scrap of difference to our addition to climate change. The industries won't change, and without them, it's all a bit pointless.

You want to make a massive difference, reduce livestock consumption. If everyone did that, the difference would be staggering. More than 'avoiding the car' for a couple of trips a week.

DHcaba

Squid
You want to make a massive difference, reduce livestock consumption. If everyone did that, the difference would be staggering. More than 'avoiding the car' for a couple of trips a week.
are you saying we all go vego? hmmm, i kidna enjoy my steak:p

in the 1970's they were predicting an ice age, and now global warming?

my personal opinion is that it is jsut time for an ice age, we're abotu due for one ( one every 20k years, its been a while)

omg , its not 20cm in 130 years? more like thermal expansion of the oceans rather then ice caps melting,

is it jstu me, or every summer do they melt and then re-freeze with a variation of massive amounts in temperature on both poles? compare the summer temps to the winter temps...

Ok maybe i was a bit jumpy with saying Al Gore started it, sorry was just in a bit of bad mood! But he definately is cashing in on it and its working. I still stand by my earth's cycles theory. I just believe it's another scam to make people money, and with everyone who gets involved it's just increasing the size of "guess who's" private swimming pool.
^^maybe not to this extent, but its snowballed, its too big to stop this movement of anthropogenic GW, think of all the moeny etc around these days, you can even get a degree in Climate Change. I think its mroe along the lines of scientists fudging their results to get funding? maybe?

Last edited:

Hopper

Likes Dirt

Why?

Sorry if my point didn't get accross, I actually say that the graph is bullshit. I'm trying to get accross the point that you can't take things for face value.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
it's called fuel reducing burns, quite easy, safer for us, safer for the animals, instead of eveything getting burnt, only the leaflitter on the groud gets lit, and the small shrubs, small, low heat, controlled burn, but since it's all locked up, they cant do it, thus we have massive fires like we jsut did

this is another example of national park madness, cant ride a pushy thru the park aye? rain will do mroe dmg then a bike type will ever be capable of doing, get real

and what percentage of the atmosphere is CO2, um, let me think, maybe 0.0384% by volume...lol
Amazing how plants survive on it then. % is meaningless (unless it's 0). What % arsenic in your blood will kill you?

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok here's a figure that is gonna stun you. Currently the world uses around 0.5ZJ of energy per year. All the known possible sites that could be used for geothermal power production equate to 2000ZJ at any one time. That means that in a minute of geothermal energy production you could supply the current world demand of power for 4000 years.

Go suck your fossil fuel flavoured chupa chup. Get on it.

Sustainable energy sources are hugely criticised and downgraded by the very people who have vested interest in fossil fuel power.

An end to the monetary economic system, replacing it a resource based economy and these sustainable resources would flourish without having to compete with market demand.