earthquake

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
At least now you know your silly straw house will stand up to some huff ‘n’ puff
Our house is ancient and was creaking like a mofo... so much so, that I looked out the window, as I thought the recycle truck was buldozing the place.

The dogs were just looking at me comically, with Reggie tilting his head in that WTF look.

stirk

Burner
The 'tradies' marching in Melbourne are just scoping out the damaged buildings and laying claims to some patches of road for smoko.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Biggest wobble I've ever felt here. I was kneeling on the floor at work adjusting something on a bike when I felt the vibrations come up through my knees, and a sound like a big gust of wind. Looked up and all the bikes on the stands were swaying!

My house has been developing a few cracks (the joy of being built on an old swamp), so I'll see when I get home if they've grown.....

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Sure did. Nothing like some other areas seem to have felt. Woke both kids up though, and wife thought she was having a stroke.
I totally missed it, reckon I was fixing some breaky for the kids at the time. Asked the kids if they noticed anything and they just looked at me blankly. Mrs was out in the car so she missed it too, feel like I got jibbed.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My house has been developing a few cracks (the joy of being built on an old swamp), so I'll see when I get home if they've grown.....
Footnotes: the cracks in my ceilings don't seem to have grown, so that's a good thing. :)

Had a chat with my mum a bit earlier this evening about it; she really digs this stuff & isn't freaked by it. It seems that the offending fault line, one of the bigger ones in the State and one that separates the Melbourne basin & surrounds from the "proper" high country is the bit that let go. Paradoxically, the major faults are often less frequently active, so when they do decide to move, they do it in a more obvious manner.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Footnotes: the cracks in my ceilings don't seem to have grown, so that's a good thing. :)

Had a chat with my mum a bit earlier this evening about it; she really digs this stuff & isn't freaked by it. It seems that the offending fault line, one of the bigger ones in the State and one that separates the Melbourne basin & surrounds from the "proper" high country is the bit that let go. Paradoxically, the major faults are often less frequently active, so when they do decide to move, they do it in a more obvious manner.
They need to pump few million tonnes of slick honey into the fault line, that'll get rid of the stiction and it'll move so buttery smooth that no-one will notice. Even the earth can benefit from improved small bump compliance.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They need to pump few million tonnes of slick honey into the fault line, that'll get rid of the stiction and it'll move so buttery smooth that no-one will notice. Even the earth can benefit from improved small bump compliance.
No they need to give the fault line a Kashima coating. It'll have a negligible performance improvement but it will improve the fault line's resale value.