Earthquakes..

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of you probably heard about them rocking the world at the moment..

Another one just happened 5 minutes ago, felt it from here in Jakarta, not sure on location it occurred.
EDIT: Happened just next to Sumatra, in Ujongculon. 6.5

Anyone keeping track of the number of earthquakes happening at the moment? There has been over 10 here in Indonesia in the last month.

Is this the sign of something big happening?

Discuss.

Last edited:

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frequent seismic activity is actually a good thing. Instead of penting up the energy until one big release it's releasing gradually. Definitely hearing a lot of news on earthquakes of late though.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Im not greatly informed on the subject, so I feel its necessary that I comment on it ;).
All the earthquakes have been on the fault line of the same plate as far as I know, so wouldn't it just suggest that there has been movement between this and surrounding plates recently? The fact that there has been increased activity lately doesn't suggest that there will be a permenant increase in the future.
But I may be wrong.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want Krakatoa to erupt again..

*snap snap*

But this time, it would be nowhere near as disastrous. The volcano is still only about 1/4 of the size it was when it erupted the first time.

As for earthquakes.. this is not just regular.. its very regular.
I have lived in Indonesia now for 2 years.. and only over the last month or so have there been earthquakes..

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pretty much every geologist has said "meh eathquakes happen"
Its all media hype. they just keep reporting aftershocks or other small quakes to an irrelevant unlinked but similar initial single event.
and they can scare people with it 2 best ways to sell media fear and hype.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pretty much every geologist has said "meh eathquakes happen"
Its all media hype. they just keep reporting aftershocks or other small quakes to an irrelevant unlinked but similar initial single event.
and they can scare people with it 2 best ways to sell media fear and hype.
yeah couple of 1000 dead in Padang earthquake is something just to shrug your shoulders too..

Hopper

Likes Dirt
I want Krakatoa to erupt again..
Nah what you want is Yellow Stone to go off again... But that would absolutely stuff the world up.

I loved reading somewhere that the increase in earthquakes that we have seen lately (hasn't actually gone up that much, just most happen in places that don't effect people) was due to global warming. Unless of course, we can change the convection currents under the crust.

It is good for earthquakes to occur frequently, it stops the build up of massive shear stresses in the crust which release a hell of a lot of energy very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo or LA have a devastating quake some time during my life.

ALso the modified Mercalli scale is a more telling scale on how bad an earthquake was, this scale is based on damage by the earthquake, a big magnitude earthquake (on richter scale) can occur very deep in the crust and not actually be that bad

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I loved reading somewhere that the increase in earthquakes that we have seen lately (hasn't actually gone up that much, just most happen in places that don't effect people) was due to global warming.
Bah! Everything's due to global warming these days.

John U

MTB Precision
All the earthquakes have been on the fault line of the same plate as far as I know, so wouldn't it just suggest that there has been movement between this and surrounding plates recently? The fact that there has been increased activity lately doesn't suggest that there will be a permenant increase in the future.
But I may be wrong.
There is a fairly contanst rate of movement between the plates. The plates keeps moving, but while moving constantly the edge of the plates get snagged in each other preventing the same movement at a point along the plate edge. When this snag is over ridden by the force between the plates the snag lets go and an earthquake occurs. The amount fiorce required to over ride the snag, the location of the movement, and resulting amount of movement will determine the magnitude of the quake.

As previously stated, one quake can trigger of a number of other quakes, larger or smaller in magnitude.

Recent activity may or may not have an impact on future occurences.