Easy Earned Trails.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Prepared a little article if you like in relation to trail building, make of it what you would like:

I've been building Mtb Trails for about 3 years now. Whether its been secret downhill and xc tracks, or helping with the construction and maintainence of legal trails, it's something that I do so that I can give something back to the sport that I love. I'm not making any money doing it, infact I spend hundreds of my own, but they're not lost dollars. The greatest rewards that I've been given from trail building, is seeing how much people enjoy riding the trails I've built, and being able to ride something that you have put so much work into. It's a shame that the people building the trails, are so thinly spread amongst the riding population, and it is indeed the small minority that are out there, building the single track that you ride on. A number of build days I've helped organise, have had no people show up outside of the normal crew.

So it's almost ironic how quickly and how often people produce negativity towards trail builders, and their work. Recently I have become more and more dissapointed in peoples attitude towards people who are out building trails. It's almost always on the internet, whether its facebook or mtb forums, people are quick to talk shit about the work we put in.

This isn't a rant, or me having a go at anyone. It's simply a request to take the time next time you're riding some singletrack, to think about how it got there. Who could of built it, when, and how long it took them to create something that is enjoyed by so many people in our community. It's not a matter of every rider having to pick up the shovel and help out, although it wouldn't hurt. It's just a matter of showing more appreciation of what other people do for them, for no material gains, but simply out of goodness of heart, and passion for the incredible sport we have.

Jack.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jack, its impossible to keep everyone happy, so don't let it get to you.
Im not so much worried about it getting to me.
Im not really that bothered on a personal level.
I just think people could have a brighter outlook.
Just trying to raise some awareness.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I stumbled across some sweet single track near my house a couple of weekends ago, I don't know who built it, but I was thanking them every single peddle I took.:tickled_pink:

You make a good point el Jacko!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I've always said if I'm putting in the effort to build a trail I'm going to build something that I enjoy riding. When others come along whinging about a section or complaining I'm making trail just to suit my own stye I simply tell them that shovels are cheap and leave it at that.

On the whole though I find the vast majority of riders thankfull for the work put in.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Feedback versus criticism is a fine line. As a builder I think you need to take on board feedback, particularly relating to rider safety and flow. There are many ways to skin a cat as they say so listening to people isn't a bad thing. I know most builders hate hearing negative comments about their work, but the best ones listen and take from it what they need to make the track better. They also know to ignore the shizzle from the lazy takers and users that just want to whinge and wouldn't lift a finger to make the trail better for all.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard these sort of people described as 'locusts' and it seems fitting because all they do is ride and destroy. Take in the feedback like Nerf says, but ultimately if they don't dig or aren't prepared to help out their complaints carry little to no weight.:)

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have spent numerous long hot sweaty hours out a new dh track lately and I finally got the ride it today. Thats satisfaction right there.

I did manage to crash 8 out of 5 runs though...

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well put Jack.

We cop a lot of shit. And people always want to tell you about how they want something built differently. But in my opinion, if you're the one out there maintaining a trail and keeping it running sweet, then it's only reasonable that you make it flow the way you want to ride it.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We all find cause to complain about some aspects of trailcare. For me it's the dipshits who snap sapplings off even when they don't interfere with the ride or hide the view. Senseless really - if you cant ride the trail then keep trying, don't start decimating the bush in frustration. Same applies to tech features.

Having said that, when maintaining trails, it is relatively easy to see where the conflict between flow and dumbing down of features will occur. By incorporating alternate lines the outcome will mostly be smiles at all levels. If a trail is suitable to beginners, then it should be so from start to end. No reason it should'nt be fun for experts as well, so long as they can go faster, or do 2 laps instead of one. If a trail is for experts, then dumbing down should only happen to make unsustainable parts safer and permanent.

Around here the trail fairies get a fair bit of love from riders, but a bit more elbow grease would certainly be appreciated. I like the locust concept

Gravity Addict

Likes Dirt
In my limited experience riding. I have never come across anyone having a go at trails that i have ridden or helped create.
Personally i find that riding something that is someone else's master piece improves my riding and seems that everyone else riding has had a similar experience.

So I'm just going to say a quick thanks to everyone who's worked on Red Hill, You Yangs and to Jayden and his mates at plenty gorge.
Certainly looking forward to going to more ride day's to help out.

Cheers
Al.