eBay security

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, last week I won an auction for something on eBay worth about $200... Over the last week I sent the guy 4 messages asking for his bank details etc (I wanted the item delivered quickly) and he only replied today. Add to this the fact that he has zero credit history on eBay and I'm feeling a little bit apprehensive about sending this guy money...

What can I do to minimise the risks? I dont want to offend a probably honest seller, but at the same time dont want to lose my money! So far he has given me his bank account details only - should I ask for his phone number and call before I pay? Even that wouldn't stop him not sending the item though as he lives in another state..... :confused:

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey

im no ebay whiz, but i have bought a heaps of stuff over ebay thru one of my mates.

anyway, cant you use paypal? because from my understanding isnt that in place to protect both you and the seller? (please someone correct me if im wrong)

good luck with it mate.

regards

Dave

ashhash

Likes Dirt
I wouldnt be sending my money to a seller with no rating - its the only real guide youve got of how people have behave.

You will probably be fine though, Ive bought and sold heaps of stuff and never had a problem.

Good luck
Ash

TIMOH

Banned
Try to get him to send the item with COD (Cash On Delivery). That way if the item doesn't come, you don't pay for it.

ashhash

Likes Dirt
Its not really much better as you cant check the box before you pay for it, and once it is paid for there is no returning it.

You could get a $200 empty box :rolleyes:

But hey thats just me, optimistic as always :D

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I have come across this situation so often on ebay.

Newbie's really dont know the proper etiquitte of ebay, and dont realize its just proper form to respond asap - like right after the auction has finished. Most are cool, some are total fuckwitts (scuse my French, but...).

I would do this:
1st - educate: politely explain to the dude that responding within three days is the thing that is done (it is also my selling policy). I have always had good results from educating others (newbies) and the response is always positive - often i get a thank you. You will also get a good idea about the dude from the response, and be in a better possi to make judgement.

2nd - like you said, get the guys phone-number. If the guy responds (to above) and you think he's a total tool, then ask for his phone number and definetely call him before you send ANY money.

Otherwise, you have entered into a legal contract and owe the dude $200.00 and he owes you consideration. Ebay has people that deal with this kinda thing though. See the dudes response and if your still not satisfied contact ebay.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
well not everyone can have a rating if they are n00bs.

he might have only just registered recently so he can sell this item.
and thus based on this statement:
  • he might have trouble navigating the ebay site, so he might have only just relised that there is a message section.
  • he could also be limited to his access to a computer, ive had sales with a couple of people that only have access to a computer at work, or by going to a friends place. one guy i bought from was selling the very machine he was using, and had boxed it up without thinking he'd need it post sale. :rolleyes:
  • not all people are computer literate. my mum gets me to monitor her sales, as she hasnt got much idea on how it all works

things i always look out for when considering buying something:
  • is the item in the same location as the seller. check in both the summary at the top, and the item description. dodgy sellers usually live in one state, and then have the item listed in another state (or even country). then you dont know who or what to track.
  • look at how they word any messages, or their item descriptions. really bad spelling, words spelled in caps, or poor grammer are the signs of a dodgy sale
  • is the item description accurate compared to the item they have a picture of. i saw an iMac Tower for sale. WTF?
  • is the picture itself real? or is it just a product promo photo from a website? if its the latter, try to get a couple of item pics. bare in mind that not everyone has access to a digital camera tho.
  • if they dont have a rating, see if there is any feedback from ebay management. sometimes feedback will be removed or changed if a complaint from a previous sale is made.
  • try see if you can COD. i try that method most times, and ive found it most effective. when the postie comes, have a feel of the package, try to rattle it. chances are that if the box is empty its going to be hell lighter than it should be. also check the size of the box. is the item (eg handlebars) going to fit in a Video cassette box? not likely!
  • if you cant get COD, get registered post. it will cost more, but the sender has to show ID and put their details on the form when sending the package. not so easy to just dupe a buyer then.

and finally, when dealing with a buyer or seller during or after the auction, keep it positive. messages or emails such as "OMG, where is my fucking item, ive been sending messages all freaking week with no luck biotch!" is not going to help you resolve any problems.

and quit worrying. i give it a week from end of sale till confirmation of sending, if nothing then, i start to worry abit...

so far i havent been burnt (knock on work) and ive been using all the above techniques.

W2ttsy

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
W2ttsy said:
"OMG, where is my fucking item, ive been sending messages all freaking week with no luck biotch!"
Hehehehe:p ,

Thats funny...

I got really aggressive with this one bloke one day cos i paid and he hadnt sent the item for like 3 weeks after (according to post mark). I was all like, "ebay has given me your address" and other complete bullshit messages to give the dude a little scare so he would hurry the fuck-up with sending my flippin item!

Oh, it worked...but i still left positive feedback in the end cos the item was perfect.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
NeBoS said:
Oh, it worked...but i still left positive feedback in the end cos the item was perfect.
the idea of feedback is to let others know how it went when you dealt with this user... by leaving positive feedback after a shit transaction, youre making it harder for others to get an idea that the guy sucks balls post sale.

glad to see you got your item tho.

W2ttsy

freeride_sweet

Likes Dirt
i love ebay, i think its one of the best things to come out of the internet (one of), ive picked up some much cheap stuff on there its not funny, $900 wheels set new, i picked them up for $270 basily new, brand new ultegra cranks $380 odd new, got em for a $100,

i find that if your not sure about the seller ask them a few questions before the auction ends, try to trip them up (thanks W2ttsy), but usually that works, well ive only had to do it once, but its a great system,

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
W2ttsy said:
the idea of feedback is to let others know how it went when you dealt with this user... by leaving positive feedback after a shit transaction, youre making it harder for others to get an idea that the guy sucks balls post sale.

glad to see you got your item tho.

W2ttsy
IMO this is a fundamental problem with eBay. If you are unsatisfied with a transaction, you cannot just give negative feedback without being scared the person will simply give you negative feedback in retaliation...!?

Am I missing some part of the eBay system, or is this a real problem?

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably ask for COD at this stage. If any of you are curious, the item I won was a pair of Specialized Comp Body Geometry Carbon shoes, can't wait to try them on!!

baldychoko

Likes Dirt
freeride_sweet said:
i love ebay, i think its one of the best things to come out of the internet (one of), ive picked up some much cheap stuff on there its not funny, $900 wheels set new, i picked them up for $270 basily new, brand new ultegra cranks $380 odd new, got em for a $100,

i find that if your not sure about the seller ask them a few questions before the auction ends, try to trip them up (thanks W2ttsy), but usually that works, well ive only had to do it once, but its a great system,
Agreed ebay rocks not only for buying but selling aswell, i recently sold my old bike for 400 bucks more than i was asking (off the net).

Recently my little brother bought a phone and the buyer didnt respond and eventually shacked up and left the country, the phone was 280. BUT ebay offers an insurance policy of up to 1500 i think, although its been 2 months and my little bro just got his money back.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
some faggot bought my forks on ebay 4 days ago and hasnt replied yet, he gave me his phone number but everytime i call he just hangs up..I need that money to buy new forks that i am meant to be paying cash for tomorrow night!!!!!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think it may just be time to gice up on them.
Edit: don't give up, i read that as 4 years, not 4 days, oops

P.S. choose a better word next time

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
OK so I messaged this guy politely saying I didn't see that he had zero feedback before I bid, and asking if we could use COD in consideration of this... (remembering also that I have 100% feedback from 21 transactions) and he replies with this:

"Mate i know that i dont have any feed back but this is something you should have look into before you bid. Iam not going to send the goods until they have been paid for.... I obviously dont want to recieve any bad feed back for my first transaction.. I would to finalise this as soon as possible cheers..."

Sounds fairly hostile and stubborn - not a good situation to be in... I think he is missing my point by saying he doesn't want to recieve any bad feedback for his first transaction - the fundamental reason why eBay works is because you BUILD good will through transactions, which I have done and he has not.

What can I do to make him see my side? I made an honest mistake by not checking his feedback before bidding, but I really dont think COD is as insecure as he makes it out to seem with "Iam not going to send the goods until they have been paid for...."

Should I just send him the money and cross my fingers?

Rik

logged out
Ask for his details, home address and phone number, and make sure you verify details with a phonecall and white pages search. If he's going to play stubborn, you can play the same game. You could even consider an escrow? Either way, get all his details you can, let him know you're apprehensive but will follow through with the bank deposit if they comply with your requests, but also give polite hints that mail fraud is an offence.
If it were me, I'd go through with the sale. If it fell through, I'd hope to fall back on ebays insurance, and I'd also contact the seller (hence getting details above) and tell them I'll be on their doorstep within the week to pick up the item in person if they decide to screw me around. Alot of people are tricked in to thinking the internet is an anonymous medium. Whilst you can make it fairly anonymous, if you have a persons contact details and remind them you'll use them in your favour if necessary, any illusion of anonymity will soon be shattered and they'll think twice about ripping you off.

dhd

Downhill Direct
It's kinda funny you know. There's probably a guy on another forum going:
" Damn, I thought I'd give Ebay a try and this guy just won't pay up for my goods. He's driving me nuts cause he thinks I'm going to rip him off cause I don't have any feedback. Man, people just don't trust anyone these days............"
But it's OK to be suspect. I still after 5 years get customers who are hesitant about send us money thinking we are a "internet scam company". The reality is there's very little to be gained by ripping someone off for one transaction when you can gain a lot more from many smooth sailing legit sales.

Ooops...........gotta go......the police are at the door..................

Last edited:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Yeh, hmm..

Your in quite a pickle, eh.

Clearly, the dudes not willing to negotiate, so theres no chance of him giving you his address (would you give yours to him?). However, the dude should be willing to give you his phone number, or he definately has something to hide. IF he gives you his phone number, call him and see WTF's goin on - politely though - if you stay polite and he doesnt, dont pay, notify ebay.

Also, do you really think he gives a shit about his feedback - nope! He hasnt even got any, so whats to lose (just start up a new account - very common practice with f@#kwits). I have feedback of 53 @ 100% - i reckon i get more money from buyers based on me feedback rating - so like i said the dudes got nothing to lose.

- Ask for his phone number
- If u dont get it, dont pay - notify ebay
- If you get it, speak to him and see if hes a tosser
- If you reckon hes a tosser notify ebay

Ebay will organise an additional third party to mediate the transaction should things go completely pear-shaped.