Echowell Ruby 100 - battery change

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
Anyone done this for the actual watch HRM device, not the chest belt?

I've just had a crack at it the other day in a hurry to go for a ride. It doesn't work now. The instructions are completely useless (as am I).

The display comes on for about 1 second, then fades to nothing. Another problem...I have a very small spring left over (typical) which I suspect came out when I opened it in a hurry the other day.

I've search the internette looking for a diagram or anything, but I feel I may have to take it to the local watch repair man, or wait for them to come on sale on T7 again.

Any hints, tips, or solutions appreciated. Smart arse comments will also be noted.

Wish I had've taken it to a watch man in the 1st place.

Goose.

smeck

Likes Dirt
The display comes on for about 1 second, then fades to nothing. Another problem...I have a very small spring left over (typical) which I suspect came out when I opened it in a hurry the other day.
Its hard to be confident, but my guess is the spring goes on the lid side of the back cover to push the battery against the contacts. The fact that it initially powers up and then dies indicates the battery cannot deliver enough current to power the functions. It either can't supply or can't conduct enough power, thats why it starts and then dies straight away. It's a flat batteries (or nearly flat) fault, but poor contacts will behave the same.

Same sort of problem as a car when you turn the key and the starter motor just clicks, while theres enough power to switch the relay there's just not enough juice to turn it over. Your HRM battery could be faulty (even if its new) but the fact that you have a spring left over is hard to ignore for the cause of the fault.

A tip if I may, never do anything for the first time in a hurry, slow and methodical is the only way. At least you're honest, even a vaguely accurate diagnosis is nearly impossible without it.

Last edited:

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
thanks smeck. you are exactly right. i initially found 3 holes that the spring fit in....none worked. then i took the HRM apart further and found another under the large metal thing that holds the battery in place. this hole/spring combination worked.

i'd say there is a lesson in there that if you poke around enough you'll eventually find a hole that fits...but i won't. :rolleyes: