Elbow pad recommendations?

SDA

Likes Dirt
After going for a slide yesterday (see other thread about carbon bar replacement) I think it is about time I invested in some light elbow pads.

My leg, hip and shoulder got scratched up but will heal pretty quickly. My elbow / forearm on the other hand will take a bit longer. I want something to just take the edge off the scratches. Nothing too hot or bulky.

So does anyone have any elbow pad recommendations for trail riding?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I've got the IXS Carve elbow pads and they're reasonably comfy, but everyone will recommend what they've got... Best to try some on and get a feel for what's the most comfortable for you (and most importantly the right size). In my experience all elbow pads I've tried feel pretty average, which is why I hardly ever wear them - especially at places like Lysterfield where there is a lot of pedalling involved. Ok for shuttle days on tracks with lots of really scary stuff that I'm working up to.

Not 100% sure if they make them for elbows (I'm sure they do), but you can get knee pads that are really more of an abrasion sleeve, which are really comfortable. Won't save you in a big crash onto rocks etc, but will definitely help with the loss of skin. Great for places like Lysty.

Sounds like you were going pretty hard, Strava run?

SDA

Likes Dirt
Bike was finally feeling dialed and I was full of confidence. Broke (or matched) a number of Strava PR's elsewhere in the park. So yeah I was going quick.

Snipe has always eluded me though - have always struggled to find flow on it. Front tyre slid for about 3-4m going around the second corner before I made touch down.

So does anyone have any elbow pad recommendations for trail riding?
I am using Fox Enduro elbow and knee pads but don't have anything to compare them against. I've had a few offs while wearing them and in each situation they've done a great job of taking the edge off. I've ended up with a lump or a bruise (2 times I came off in really rocky patches, and the other in roots) but no tears on the skin. They've held up well to the crashes in the protective areas but after 6 months the elastic has just started to stretch a little bit so they don't stick in the one spot so well until I get a bit of sweat up - they have a silicon band around the top and bottom and this sticks like glue once damp so it's not a problem.

They're comfortable - no pinching or itching - I don't ride without them now.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Get 4 or so pairs of different ones from CRC, see which one feels most comfy.

Send the others back with the $10 flat fee shipping and change of mind policy.
Will eliminate the 'what if?' that will be sitting in the back of your head if you were to only get one pair that may not be 100% to your liking.

Dainese Trail skins 2 here.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've got the cheaper IXS hack. They have been pretty good, but haven't work in height of summer yet

RichJS

Likes Dirt
D3O (A.K.A: XRD, VPD, RPT, etc etc) seems to be the new technology for pads now.

Recent got 661 rage elbows - they are short .. I expected a bit more forearm coverage from something so thick / tough.

Don't own / not a recommendation - but a few names for lightweight elbows that seem worthy of consideration, in very approximate order from no impact / protects only against cuts, to more burly:

Race Face Charge (A thin piece of kevlar-topped foam on a mesh sleeve .. no impact rating.)
Troy Lee Speed Elbow Sleeve (4mm of d3o. Hoping to have the Knee of these, if uByk get their act together...)
Nukeproof Critical Enduro
661 recon
G-form Pro-X
Dainese Trail Skins 1
Fox Launch Enduro (I have these for knees - the neoprene is thick and the perforations don't do much to vent them.. IMO could do with firmer foam, and a way bigger mesh area at back.)
Race Face Indy
Leatt Airflex
Dainese Trail Skins 2
POC VPD Air (I have these for knees - a more traditional yet light kneepad, the mesh at the back is fairly comfy. Done 100km days in them twice now, pretty happy.)

SDA

Likes Dirt
Some really good suggestions here. Thank you.

Think I will try a few on with the intent to go the D30 route.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Some really good suggestions here. Thank you.

Think I will try a few on with the intent to go the D30 route.
D30 is ace and a really great material / thing that does what it says. I've got it in my knees and elbows.

I haven't given them a test on the elbows just yet, but given them quite a few good hits on the knees and they are better impact protection than pads twice as bulky with the hard shell that I've had previously.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
elbo

I'm using set G form elbow pads .very happy with these .
have tested them out couple times .
once on some semi slow mo barrel roll tested them on some rock trail armoring no scrapes or scratches , on elbo win win

Best bit is how comfortable they are.

Although on knarly ride days dh runs id wear a more heavy duty elbo pad

Last edited: