electric assist bikes - any experience?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Hi there.

My dad is getting into his late 60s and is looking to do sometihng for a bit of fitness. He has an old mongoose which he hasn't ridden in years, cos he reckons the hills just hurt too much. Was having a chat with him last night and he reckons he's been looking at some of the electric assist bikes you can get these days - he doesn't want full electric, he's still happy to pedal, but with some help.

Does anybody have any experience with these things? any suggestions/advice?

I Should mention - he kinda likes the idea of a fold-up as well - so he can take it away with him (yeah - he's a bit of a grey nomad). I'm not sure about these things - I dont trust them...

cheers.

RCOH

Eats Squid
A guy at work rides one...he recently upgraded to a 'light' version (20odd kgs!) as his first one was closer to 30.

He is in his 50s and has bum knees but doesn't want to drive to work so uses the engine to assist him up hills, but pedals on flats & downhilss.

He swears by them, but says he gets grief off cyclists & drivers for using them :confused:

burnside97

Likes Dirt
we sell a fair few of them at my work. My advice is go a li-ion over a lead acid unit. They are about 10kg lighter and you get about twice the life out of them. They are usually about 3-400 bux more expensive but. In my opinion definately worth it.
Also dont buy some crappy unit off the internet from china.
We deal with the electric bicycle company who are based in Australia and as far as servicing or any problems that have arrisen with the bike or electric unit the are really good and prompt to deal with. Look around, try them out, make sure you get them from a good shop that will be able to service the electrics and be able to get parts easily and ul be all sweet!:cool: