Electric Bike.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Old man is really keen on electric bikes, so we thought that we would build one that isnt as nanna as most on the market.

Picked up a few bits off friends and used some old parts I had in my workshop, spec ended up as:
Norco A-line frame.
DHX3.
Boxxer Teams.
Avid Codes.
Sunline V1 bars.
Da Bomb DM stem.
Carbon post.
Needs a more comfy seat...
SRAM gearing.
Shimmy chain and cassette.
721 on a DT hub up front.
MTX onto a 1KW electric hub in the rear.
XT cranks.
E13 supercharger.
SLX chainring.
TBC chainguide.
TBC pedals.
Minions.
Li-ion batteries.
A throttle :D

Haven't clocked how fast it goes yet because the sensor on my wireless speedo is broken. Pretty fun to ride around on though, with the right technique it does powerslides and will do a stationary burnout on dirt. Oh yeah, you can do powerwheelies too. Technically being 1KW it is five times what the constabulary reccomend, but you know...

Anyone else got an electric bike?

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought the electric bits off a guy that distributes them over here in WA. So got the hub motor, throttle, batteries and all the wiring.

I built the bike us as you normally would, except I laced the hub motor into the rear. Had to custom cut and thread every spoke, this took forever...

Old man made up some brackets to hold the batteries on and took care of the wiring.

Some things were an issue, getting hold of decent 7spd stuff and getting all the alignment right with the rear wheel (we decided to use a 150 spaced frame and use spacers to centre the hub). Still havent got the rear brake connected up, as we need to get a bracket machined up (the one that came with it isnt international standard spacing, brilliance...).

After that I proceeded to explode a bearing in the electric hub after about 5 minutes of use, so it had to be pulled down and replaced, but now it is running nicely!

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is another photo that shows it from the side. What were you all chasing photos of specifically?

Total weight is probably a shade over 30 kilo's I'd say. It is heavy, but you can still pick the thing up. I would compare it to a Kona :p

Pedal wise you do not have a tight q factor for maximum pedalling efficiency, it is the good old bow legged pedal, but it is actually a bit easier than it looks. Or you can just take the lazy man option and ride it without pedalling. Pedalling was one of our main qualms with this frame, this for V2 we would like to use something like a DH Comp with plenty of room in the front triangle to mount the batteries right out of the way.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Duh, of course I didn't drill into the frame, what sort of dumb 13 year old kid do you think I am! If I did that it would be an STP frame with super monsters on it...

The frame actually has a two position shock mount. We simply put a bolt into the second mount. No drilling!

Video will come eventually!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
That's unreal mate! Nice work :)

I recently caught up with an old mate here in Tas that has one of these hubs on his Trek hardtail and has it rated at about 300 watts.
He gets about 35kmh for about 50kms non stop before it needs a recharge. I had a spin on it the other day and it hoots!
He got it setup by his brother, who also lives in WA and sells them...
Probably the same guy?

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good chance it is the same guy, he has a bit to do with UWA?

A thought occured to me the other day. Is there a better way to get to the pub on a Saturday night before a DH race than this?

rone

Eats Squid
You... you.... y.... ............You drilled into the frame?! :|
Duh, of course I didn't drill into the frame, what sort of dumb 13 year old kid do you think I am! If I did that it would be an STP frame with super monsters on it...

The frame actually has a two position shock mount. We simply put a bolt into the second mount. No drilling!

Video will come eventually!
I think the SMIISH is referring to the upper of the 2 battery brackets which, I have to be honest, appears to be held in place by a bolt through the centre of the top tube.

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hehey! that was me who did that! I'm not 13 though, just an idiot ;)
nice moto too

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take it from me, I have far too much intelligence to take a drillbit anywhere near an ally frame...