Electric Guitar

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it makes sense, but not for the situation.

The A string, buzzes only when a certain fret is held down on the E string.

|Matt|

Banned
Oh, then I'm lost. Probably just a simple nut adjustment, or maybe raise the bridge a little bit on the bottom string side?

I'm considering putting wheels on my cab however I'm worried that it will hurt the resonance or the general sound of the cab due to the drilling/putting holes where there were no holes before? Is this a problem, or will it be fine?

Also, why do people put their cabs on their sides while playing gigs? Is it for better low end, as I've heard?

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, then I'm lost. Probably just a simple nut adjustment, or maybe raise the bridge a little bit on the bottom string side?

I'm considering putting wheels on my cab however I'm worried that it will hurt the resonance or the general sound of the cab due to the drilling/putting holes where there were no holes before? Is this a problem, or will it be fine?

Also, why do people put their cabs on their sides while playing gigs? Is it for better low end, as I've heard?
I doubt drilling and filling holes will do anything to the sound..

I've been wondering the same for the sideways thing...

rayza

Likes Dirt
douchebags.... it may 'sound' like it has more bass to them but only because the speakers are aiming at their legs not their ears. although using a straight front cab WILL give you more bottom end. go figure.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Is it fret buzz richo? Or is something loose and resonating?

No Matt, replacing the feet with castors will not make a huge sonic difference.

Laying on the side also gives a greater contact surface with the ground. I guess that may give an illusion of greater bass response, but best way is give it a shot.

|Matt|

Banned
Is it fret buzz richo? Or is something loose and resonating?

No Matt, replacing the feet with castors will not make a huge sonic difference.

Laying on the side also gives a greater contact surface with the ground. I guess that may give an illusion of greater bass response, but best way is give it a shot.
There are no feet on it, its just flat on the ground which is why I was concerned that the bottom may not be thick enough to drill castors into?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Even if you do, it's still a sealed hole. If it is a cab worth its salt it should be about 20mm thick. Plenty enough.

And if it has no feet now, laying it on its side will make SFA difference. Putting castors on and reducing the contact surface might.

s7eve

Squid
Yeah it makes sense, but not for the situation.

The A string, buzzes only when a certain fret is held down on the E string.
So you play the A string and then fret the E string and the A buzzes? Which E string are you talking about? If it is the Low E check your technique, is your finger interfering with the A string? If it is the high E maybe you have a loose fret but if that was the case your low E would buzz as well when you fret the high E.

As suggested already check you have nothing loose on the guitar rattle is often confused for buzzing.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you play the A string and then fret the E string and the A buzzes? Which E string are you talking about? If it is the Low E check your technique, is your finger interfering with the A string? If it is the high E maybe you have a loose fret but if that was the case your low E would buzz as well when you fret the high E.

As suggested already check you have nothing loose on the guitar rattle is often confused for buzzing.
Yeah I think it's something loose, and it's the Low E.

Played around last night with some paper, I put paper underneath the A string at the nut, and the problem didn't change (with quite a lot of hight), however if I put paper under the E string, the problem more or less disappeared. Not completely, it still buzzed a little but nowhere near as bad as before.

It's definitely not technique, I could try and post up a vid later on to show what I mean...

Oh, and as I said before, the weirdest thing is it only happens when I fret the Low E at the 10th fret and play the A string open.
Or when I fret Low E at tenth, and A string on the 12th (octave) which leads me to believe it's some resonance issue

Last edited:

rayza

Likes Dirt
you gota remember tho matt, the majority of these little things like laying the cab on its side or on casters will not have an affect on your tone when your rig is close mic'd playing live through a big PA. having a larger or thicker cab made from a denser wood will.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Oh, and as I said before, the weirdest thing is it only happens when I fret the Low E at the 10th fret and play the A string open.
Or when I fret Low E at tenth, and A string on the 12th (octave) which leads me to believe it's some resonance issue
You could be onto something there. How secure is your nut?

EDIT: and God damn this guitar tech of mine....my strat has been there nearly 2 weeks!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:

ajay

It's... secure?

I don't know.
If I play with a capo on or just behind the nut the buzz goes away..
Nuts can work them selves loose from time to time - depending on how well they were initially installed. Considering the buzz is there when the string is open and only when a different string is fretted, its sounds like it's a resonance issue at the nut. I've never reset a nut myself (I always have a techy do all that stuff for me0, but doing it certainly wouldnt hurt.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Figured it out, I had a feeling it was something like this.

It's harmonic,

The E string is buzzing behind the fret, toward the nut (like, backwards) when it's fretted at the 10th, and the A string rings out, problem goes away if you touch the string behind the fret.

Sooo, because I had a slightly thicker replacement G string, I'm thinking that the neck has bowed the tiniest amount, leading to space between the string and frets when a note is fretted, leading to possible buzz. Going to get a fresh set now.

ajay

finally got my strat back!

And I started writing a version of "So What?" by Miles Davis... its a really inspirational guitar, the pick ups sound great and the set up is perfect!

Now i ust gotta record some clips and get some pics!

LJohn

Likes Dirt
You could try tying a rubber band around the strings behind the nut.

Check the tuners are all secured as well?

Ajay, do it man. Keen to hear it.

Currently building a lovepedal purple plexi clone. Coming along spiffingly.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome ajay, looking forward to hearing it.

My acoustic problem ended up being a fret/action thing ( as seen above, it's pretty freakin' weird..), so I'll take it to my main man Dan and get him to sort it out, it's not super urgent, I just have to remember not to play that combination of notes..