Electric Guitar

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Richo: Check your PMs dude!
Ah shit, missed that one. My phone is kaput and I'm broke so I'm un-textable. As soon as I actually get hold of Dad just to get a number out I'll send you both a PM. Sorry for the drag-out.

Joy

Likes Dirt
nice man! Strong song I thought. Well thought out and well performed. I think the main vocals (you or your friend whoever it is) just needs to try and sing through their chest a bit more and it'll sound great.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Thanks Joy. He's getting better pretty quickly. He's never recorded with transparent monitoring before so it's a learning experience. Tried to keep it a bit more basic too. I like the result. Our styles compliment each other (his is the more fundamental acoustic strumming and vocals, I just bring the embellishments).

n00b

Likes Dirt
Pfft, you bring the ROCK! \m/

Looks very nice man - what make is it? Is that a Bassman too?
I made it from an alder body and neck blank that were lying around at my dads shop.

Insert shameless plug
www.giletguitars.com.au

Sprayed it in nitro laquer (Its an Alfa Romeo coluor)

Screwed it all together and there it sat for 2 years until one of the boys took pity on me and did the final setup yesterday.

Yeah its a Bassman copy my dad made.

Its all rather stupid considering I cant play.

If anyone is interested in the guitar, get in contact with me.

rayza

Likes Dirt
just incase anyone is interested, i just found that billy hyde ebay store is selling a few blackheart handsome devil 15w combo's for $650 posted. From memory, thats nearly half price, its almost $300 cheaper than they currently have the head listed for. i just ordered one. one left!

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
just incase anyone is interested, i just found that billy hyde ebay store is selling a few blackheart handsome devil 15w combo's for $650 posted. From memory, thats nearly half price, its almost $300 cheaper than they currently have the head listed for. i just ordered one. one left!
None left :D

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Bro just got a Fender Stratocaster American, with an vypyr 30 amp. Sooo nice, sounds so good. Plus he's a heaps good player so that really complements them both :p

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
ok, shitty situation. in my stupidity, i took my les paul + top to the LGS instead of the usual techs i use to get a rewire done (new pots and cables). Anyhoo i get the phone call yesterday that i always dread ( why is it that phone calls that start with "Mr Regan" instead of my 1st name are normally quite bad!)

basically they cracked the finish on on the neck side of the treble volume pot, in a square about the size of a thumbnail. this apparently happened when they had to widen the holes to insert the pots (Dimarzio pots, bigger shaft than normal apparently) after looking at it im not sure if they managed to crack the maple or just the varnish. now, as far as im concerned, they broke it they get to fix it, is that the case?

im actually quite upset about it, guitar was bought for me by SWMBO so it has some sentimental value, enough so that i had trouble sleeping last night. any advice as to how to proceed here?

LJohn

Likes Dirt
If they cracked it it's their responsibility to repair it. Unfortunately it's usually not as clean cut as that, but that's the way it should be. That sucks man.

Another new song out, I'm looking for vocals and bass.

http://johneth.bandcamp.com/

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
basically they cracked the finish on on the neck side of the treble volume pot, in a square about the size of a thumbnail. this apparently happened when they had to widen the holes to insert the pots (Dimarzio pots, bigger shaft than normal apparently) after looking at it im not sure if they managed to crack the maple or just the varnish. now, as far as im concerned, they broke it they get to fix it, is that the case?
Sounds like they didnt actually widen the hole first before trying to fit the new pot. Your view is same as mine.
They screwed it, they need to repair it. The reality may be a little harder to achieve.... but I would certainly go down there with the view of "So how are you going to fix it" not "Are you going to fix it"

Lastly if they struggled with the concept of fitting a new pot you probably dont want them making a repair, so
option would be to find someone capable of repairing it and have the shop pick up the cost.

Good luck.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
cheers.

original concern was that over the phone he told me " it cracked when we drilled it" after i got over the shock, my thought was WTF? why drill it? surely anyone knows you'd use a file. when i went in to check it out he told me had had used a file so i dunno if hes picked up an edge or something.

as for the repair they told me it was getting sent away for that. now i have to stress they will do a proper job. fair credit to the guy he looked shit scared and at least he had the balls to tell me instead of just letting me pick it up. still sorry doesn't fix my problem

maybe the wrong guitar to try out a new shop eh? sucks for them as i have 2 strats that also need a rewire + pots, a strat and a les paul that need a refret (the refrets though will be done by piers crocker's shop) and another les paul that needs a good setup. so, theres a few hundred dollars of work there.

lucky its not my Ibanez RG3550 or id just have to kill someone.

Last edited:

rayza

Likes Dirt
damn, thats fuct, i really hope they do a good repair job.

on another note, ever thought about working on your own guitars? If you have a little bit of soldering skills, there is an immense amount of info, tips, step by steps, how to's and the likes about working on, wiring and setting up guitars online. Unless you have someone regular that you trust with them.
I re-wired both my LP's and my strat. Plus youtube has loads of setup and intonation vids to get you through that part of it.
The only guy i take my guitars to now is local luthier Rob Formentin cause i've known him for many years and trust him , and even then it would only be for something like a fret level/refret or new nut etc.

This is only for future needs tho, i still feel your pain and hope everything works out.

Last edited:

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
ugh, there going to screw me. but what can i do about it? at the moment looks like the best id get away with is getting the work they did for free + clean up the damage so it doesn't get worse. spewin. actually im pretty pissed. the only phone call i should have received is " im sorry, weve damaged your guitar but dont worry we will fix it for you" thats far from whats happened. having the store owner tell me " well these things sometimes happen" and " im not going to make a decision till the luthier looks at it" is far from acceptable. at the moment i want my guitar back without being further fucked up.

as for doing it myself, id tried, a couple of times but my wiring leaves a lil to be desired. my strat i did and it was ok, but i couldnt get it happening in the les paul and ended up with a dry joint somwhere, so i figured id take it and get it fixed up. my mistake! after this, ill take it to turramurra to get my work done or Sydney Guitar Setups for the more serious stuff.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey Rayza, how you finding the BH15?
I got to admit for the price this thing is awesome.
I was curious about what tubes it was using after reading a review with some guy stating they just use some cheap chinese tubes all round, but on opening found its using JJ's all the way through.

rayza

Likes Dirt
Hey Rayza, how you finding the BH15?
I got to admit for the price this thing is awesome.
I was curious about what tubes it was using after reading a review with some guy stating they just use some cheap chinese tubes all round, but on opening found its using JJ's all the way through.
I'm well impressed. coming from 2 years with a line6 flextone, its so nice to be playing through tubes again. To be honest, i havent checked the brand yet, although now i wish i had, cause i already got trigger happy and ordered a new set for it, after reading many similar reviews. For the price and size, it's great. in my opinion the 12" speaker really puts this thing above many others in its class.