Elementary stem help

Mr Sparkle

Likes Dirt
hey guys, i need some help with the elementary stem, i know that you need atleast 36mm of steerer so that it functions properly. But my steerer is tiny, it's like 25mm, help would be greatly appreciated.

jackie boy

Likes Dirt
you could possibly get your steerer extended:confused: if not you might have to run it with it not functioning properly or not at all.

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats your question?

If your asking if it will work I'd say hell no. The elementry stems are already hard on your steerer and put a lot of strain on it, it will bend the steerer(has happened with running at the right size with a weaker steerer) or it could slip off while your riding.

I dont know if you can get steerer extensions but i think you can get a whole new steerer put on.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats your question?

If your asking if it will work I'd say hell no. The elementry stems are already hard on your steerer and put a lot of strain on it, it will bend the steerer(has happened with running at the right size with a weaker steerer) or it could slip off while your riding.

I dont know if you can get steerer extensions but i think you can get a whole new steerer put on.
Grip sport will extend your steerer chech out there website http://www.gripsport.com.au/

DH_co

Likes Dirt
Well if you knew you needed 36mm, and you only had 25mm, why did you buy it? My mate got one, and it fitted and all, just kept on slipping (must of been a dud), so he took it back and got the cheaper ody stem.

x

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes I bought an elementary stem and I found out after I ordered it that I need at least 36mm of exposed steerer. But I only had 33 or 34 or so. When I eventually got it on, the steerer just reached the top hole of the stem, 1 mm less and I would have been in a bit of trouble. But 25mm? That's tiny! It wont work unless you get a steerer mod. May I ask what stem you were previously running? It must be quite short... Go to the local skatepark or something and look for someone with a decent stem and some spacers above or below it. Ask if they would consider a trade, I'm sure many riders would be happy to get a brand new elementary. Or see if you can return it to the original shop and get something like a s&m redneck xlt or animal jumpoff.

Mr Sparkle

Likes Dirt
yeah guys, i asked the guy at the shop and he said it would fit, so yeah. but i'm gonna bring it back and get a fly or something like that. my original stem was the fit s3. i reckon fit should make there forks with longer steerer tubes, coz seriously 25mm:eek:.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
arent all bmx forks the same steerer length?
or is it just fit made em shorter for their lower stack stems?

Last edited:

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip sport will extend your steerer chech out there website http://www.gripsport.com.au/
I didnt see anything about steerer repairs on the website?

It would be better to get a new one put on and the old one of because having a weld or something in the middle would interfer(sp?) with the stem, especially one like the Elementry.

arent all bmx forks the same steerer length?
or is it just fit made em shorter for their lower stack stems?
Most completes come with one set for the height of the stem it comes with. They maybe have 1-2cm of extra steerer lenth where they put spacers.

New forks come pretty long and you usually cut them down so that there is no spacers or minimal spacers.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didnt see anything about steerer repairs on the website?

It would be better to get a new one put on and the old one of because having a weld or something in the middle would interfer(sp?) with the stem, especially one like the Elementry.

Most completes come with one set for the height of the stem it comes with. They maybe have 1-2cm of extra steerer lenth where they put spacers.

New forks come pretty long and you usually cut them down so that there is no spacers or minimal spacers.
Well it wasn't the full link but if you checked out the actuall website you would find this http://www.gripsport.com.au/main.php?part=gallery&galID=6
and its say that "Steerer tubes can be lengthened with absolute safety! We also refit, bond and pin steerers to fork crowns to stop movement and creaking" so i think that mean you can get the steerer lengthened

Randy Rhoads

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it wasn't the full link but if you checked out the actuall website you would find this http://www.gripsport.com.au/main.php?part=gallery&galID=6
and its say that "Steerer tubes can be lengthened with absolute safety! We also refit, bond and pin steerers to fork crowns to stop movement and creaking" so i think that mean you can get the steerer lengthened
Yeah, but with the lengthen pictured, the steerer isnt all equal and it would be pretty bad to run an Elementry stem on something like that.

Picture for others.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah not a good idea, and would probably cost more than a new stem. Get something like a S&M Redneck XLT.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont see anyone cutting a set of odyssey race/street forks with in-built topcap thread with any success? they come in exact steerer length fitting. mine went 100% compatible with all parts (frame/headset/10mm spacer/stem) with about 2mm of gap (which is wat it should be).

always on 1

Banned
elementry stems are peices of shi t ive heard the screw brakes or comes lose and its just better 2 get a diffrent stem i dont like the look of them either