Eliot Jackson Launches Grow Cycling Foundation to Promote Diversity in Cycling

slowmick

38-39"
Have a mate who worked hard with the team at Bicycle Network to figure out what the barriers were to getting more women riding bikes. There were lots of reasons but for many women money wasn't close to top of the list.

As I've got older I come around to realize the benefits of positive discrimination /support to help bring new faces to the scene. Everything is easier if you can following in the footsteps of someone like you.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There's quite a few women and young girls who ride MTB here in Adelaide.
Obviously nowhere near the proportion of blokes but probably down to the passionate women riders who run the shop ride days for only females and lately there's junior dirt skills classes that @Ackland is part of, that has little bums on seats from a young age.
The road I live on is a very popular roadie climb, on a weekend day there are hundreds that ride up here, I see loads of women and Asians but there is one crew of young Asians who are kitted to the hilt in Rapha everything, riding mega top end bikes, up to 20-30 of them on a typical ride. They regroup at the top which is only 100m up from me, I rode past them a few months back and they were putting wet gear on, $500 jackets galore, no expense spared with this lot.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Funnily enough, the 2018 censuses had the country at 51% female...:)

Being serious though, it certainly does appear male dominated at most of the places/times I ride. Or if there's female riders they are usually with a male partner. I don't see the groups of females that you do with males. I can only recall one time when I've seen a woman riding single-track on her own.
It would be interesting to hear the reasons why there's not more female participation.

From an mtb POV I've never seen anything that seemed untoward, but have read comments and seen behaviour on the road side of things that wasn't pleasant.
Probably a similar reason why you rarely see women trail running in the forest by themselves... One of the privileges of being a male that many probably don't realise.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
On Sydney’s Northern Beaches the Garigal Gorillas has a pretty good turnout of women’s riders. Lately ladies groups have been hitting the local trails near our place in droves and getting into some serious tech.
Ccomtb also seems to be running plenty of skills and shuttle days that doesn’t just cater to the usual crew.

My wife has been getting way more into riding and pushing her skills since Covid. Could be the fact that the local pool was shut for months and punching out a few km of laps was her go to activity. She has been going solo a lot which is great for her progression.... she does better without my “coaching”

Yeah the girls!! Sorry that’s not very diverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
On Sydney’s Northern Beaches the Garigal Gorillas has a pretty good turnout of women’s riders. Lately ladies groups have been hitting the local trails near our place in droves and getting into some serious tech.
Ccomtb also seems to be running plenty of skills and shuttle days that doesn’t just cater to the usual crew.

My wife has been getting way more into riding and pushing her skills since Covid. Could be the fact that the local pool was shut for months and punching out a few km of laps was her go to activity. She has been going solo a lot which is great for her progression.... she does better without my “coaching”

Yeah the girls!! Sorry that’s not very diverse.

Can you coach me!?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
On Sydney’s Northern Beaches the Garigal Gorillas
A bloke I know from MTB long ago and just got back in touch with, and his mate who I don't know but touts himself in a few news articles as "spokesman for the MTB community on the Northern Beaches" posted some pretty awful sexualising of Greta Thunberg. The guy I know was more casual in his comments but still made a joke pertaining to it, but the spokesman was blatantly gross. He even appears from his FB to be helping a female rider develop her skills.

These people are the problem, yet they certainly don't think they are, off coaching women while sexualising a 17 year old because he's obviously got some problem with her climate change action, good job community spokesman. I dunno if he's on here, the guy I know isn't. It's the kind of shit that wouldn't be tolerated here I'm sure, and I'm not going to share it.

Short version: white priveleged cockbags are in mountain biking, some of them prevalent.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
one crew of young Asians who are kitted to the hilt in Rapha everything
The ethnicity angle is a strange one. Generally what I observe (bastardised Aussie Chinese that I am) is that the reason a lot of the riders are white is because anglo folks tend to be more supportive of extra curricular activities. You go folks like @moorey and @Plankosaurus helping their kiddos along with the right advice, sick rigs and taking time to build bikes and save upgrade etc. If this was my childhood, the old man would ask me what the hell is wrong with the bike I have and how I should be studying more because a pro mtbr doesn't get you anywhere. This is not an inherently racist sport, especially if it is other cultures that cannot adapt to it. I see tonnes of young white kids on great bikes shredding, not many young coloured kids though. At some point people have to face the harsh realities are that there will be differences in participation rates for different sports and it's ok, it doesn't always mean there is a problem.

Fast forward to the 28+ age group and then you start seeing a lot more diversity. Guys like me who never got a sick kona stinky and now going all out because they can as adults.

Short version: white priveleged cockbags are in mountain biking, some of them prevalent.
The irony is this statement is inherently racist. If you substitute 'white' with another colour/racial identifier and it sounds racist, it IS racist.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The irony is this statement is inherently racist. If you substitute 'white' with another colour/racial identifier and it sounds racist, it IS racist.
Righto.

https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/fall-2018/what-is-white-privilege-really

"White privilege is—perhaps most notably in this era of uncivil discourse—a concept that has fallen victim to its own connotations. The two-word term packs a double whammy that inspires pushback. 1) The word white creates discomfort among those who are not used to being defined or described by their race. And 2) the word privilege, especially for poor and rural white people, sounds like a word that doesn’t belong to them—like a word that suggests they have never struggled. "

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My example is not about white privilege, so probably a bad choice of words for that example, sexist cockbags is more accurate. Oddly enough, they are still white, and priveleged.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Tassie has a fairly good amount of female riders, it's probably the good access to trails that helps. I would see women out riding almost every time I ride Derby or Wild Mersey trails, it's certainly not 50/50 but it's a whole lot more that just a few years back.
There's the Shredding Betties MTB club a female based club that's been working on getting more female riders out on the trails.
Christa at Rideo MTB (Shape and Ride) has been doing great work in the state with getting kids and women the skills and confidence on the trails.
The Tas Gravity Enduro has been running a "come and try" mini enduro at each of their rounds and that been a female dominated event.
I think that diversity in possible as long as there's no roadblocks to getting there.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
My example is not about white privilege, so probably a bad choice of words for that example, sexist cockbags is more accurate. Oddly enough, they are still white, and priveleged.
Pretty sure I know who you mean and if so he is on here but not seen any activity for a while.
Seems to enjoy stirring the pot a lot on FB

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Pretty sure I know who you mean and if so he is on here but not seen any activity for a while.
Seems to enjoy stirring the pot a lot on FB
Not exactly a good way to be a community spokeperson or spokes "man" as he and the Daily Toiletpaper like to put it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The whole club thing I find is also a bit overstated. A lot of folks who cincidently are middle aged blokes, simply buy a bike (usually Anaconda Fluid haha) and take it out to the trail. No clubs, no encouragement (wife might tell them they are too old for this). I'm all for addressing barriers, but as it stands you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bloke I know from MTB long ago and just got back in touch with, and his mate who I don't know but touts himself in a few news articles as "spokesman for the MTB community on the Northern Beaches" posted some pretty awful sexualising of Greta Thunberg. The guy I know was more casual in his comments but still made a joke pertaining to it, but the spokesman was blatantly gross. He even appears from his FB to be helping a female rider develop her skills.

These people are the problem, yet they certainly don't think they are, off coaching women while sexualising a 17 year old because he's obviously got some problem with her climate change action, good job community spokesman. I dunno if he's on here, the guy I know isn't. It's the kind of shit that wouldn't be tolerated here I'm sure, and I'm not going to share it.

Shock horror. White middle aged bloke from the northern beaches who thinks he's really important turns out to be a bit of a flog.

moorey

call me Mia
All is not lost though. The Dirt Critters (ages 4-14) I've run in Ballarat for the last 8 years has grown from 10 regulars to over 100. We has to cap it to 100, and make parents register their kids for the season, when the previous 'free for all' saw up to 120 kids rock up on a good day and totally overwhelm our small group of volunteer leaders. At least 1/3 are girls, and they aren't just sisters tagging along with brothers. While the ethnic diversity isn't there, it isn't generally in Ballarat. There's 8-10 asian and hispanic kids who are regulars.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
One of the best things about mountain biking, and something that makes it inherantly inclusive, is that you can do it by yourself, almost anywhere, it doesn't require any clubs, licences, permits etc. and as far as sports goes is pretty cheap. The barrier for entry is supremely low. If you can ride a bike you can pretty much start riding off road and you can learn and grow at your own pace. Of all of the sports / recreational activities out there it would have to be one of the more accessible.

If anyone is not mountain biking it may be just because they don't want to.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Objectively what you've written is "true", but if you even scratch the surface it's clearly not realistic. Yes, "anyone" can "just pick up a bike" and "start riding off road", but that actually still relies on a few key assumptions, and also doesn't accurately describe what really any of us would consider to be the world of MTB that we seek to share.

The barrier for entry is not supremely low at all; it requires access to expensive equipment, access (and transport) to bushland, ideally access to actual trails etc. If you want to race, that only increases exponentially. Like it or not, one of the key requirements of riding MTB for the majority of the population is a car. MTBs are also much more expensive than a pair of basketball shoes or football boots or a tennis racquet, so no it's not "pretty cheap" unless you compare it to other sports that have their own diversity and access issues like sailing or equestrian or motor racing.

On the thread generally...

MTB culture has been a massive bro-down basically since forever. The heroes of the sport are people like Shaun Palmer and Steve Peat who popularised a scene much more analogous to the Xtreme™ sports world of MX etc than really any other cycling discipline. They literally banned skin suits in DH racing because the Athertons thought they didn't look cool. As other people have noted in this thread, women's representation has absolutely increased and I really think it's done a lot of good to the scene; races these days are almost unrecognisable from the rum'n'coke and public nudity DH races I used to frequent 10 years ago.

That said, as MTB has moved away from the MX culture, it's moved a lot into the "outdoors" world of $400 Patagonia down jackets and backcountry adventuring. This is a world that the Black communities in America for whom Eliot's program aims to improve accessibility - communities that are overwhelmingly urbanised and more likely to be poor and/or otherwise disadvantaged - have long been written out of. It's no coincidence that skating and BMX which can literally be done anywhere have much more diverse cohorts.

As much as I hate to give them credit for anything, Specialized has actually made some moves in this space, sponsoring various "bike life" riders in the US and the UK, and starting to recast a lot of their imagery away from just white dudes in Colorado. It's small steps and yes people will make all the same arguments about cynical "virtue signalling" for profit, but you can't be what you can't see.

http://instagr.am/p/CCT8TwzluXz/