Elixer R vs Shimano SLX/XT

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Help needed to resolve a dilemma I have. I need to replace my brakes on my anthem, I can go and buy a set of xt or SLX from crc for about 240 both of which are very good and everybody seams to recommend them.

HOWEVER...
A mate will sell me his 3 year old Elixer R brakes and 3 year fox forks for $400 and pick over his old bike for spares.
I currently have a set of fox forks on my bike which are 7 years old and to me they work ok not sure if the new forks would be any better though.

Thoughts please re the following
Are elixer r as rubbish as the reviews say? I am currently using a 8 year old Hayes 9 front and juicy 4 on the back both of which have been maintenance free.
What would you do if you had the same dilemma?

Look forward to your replies.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your mates deal does not seem great.... Would be about going price for parts in very good condition.
3 years can be a lot of riding or they could have been sitting around doing nothing... any play in levers, general condition.
Condition of fork?

As for Avid/ Shim, i use Avid.....

willsy01

Eats Squid
Current model SLX/XT brakes will shit on any 3 year old Avid brake from an enormous height. Such a height that the shit would start burning up on re-entry.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Current model SLX/XT brakes will shit on any 3 year old Avid brake from an enormous height. Such a height that the shit would start burning up on re-entry.
I'll see you current SLX and raise you my 3 yr old XX- no contest sorry....

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
There's plenty of threads on rotorburn that compare Avids and shimano brakes. Each thread usually finishes with Willsy saying how much better shimano are than avid, then someone will chime in with something like "if you learnt how to bleed them properly you wouldn't have had an issue". It's like entropy increasing, it is the natural order of the universe ;)

Personally I have only used elixir. I found that once I learnt how to bleed them properly they were awesome and "didn't have an issue".

I see them going for around 130 in the trading section. I'm sure XT once setup properly will also be an awesome brake.

Agreed Steve, mateys deal doesn't look great. always be wary of wolf in sheep's clothing.

moorey

call me Mia
Thought 1. If Hayes and forks are fine, why change.
Thought 2. SH xt's (2010>) for $100-150.
Id pass on your mates deal unless the are truly mint and you trust him, but sounds like a sure fire way to fuck up a friendship.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The current XT's and even SLX's are going to smash any brake thats over 3 years old in terms of performance.

In terms of comparing a current XT to Elixr, I have found shimano to have better stopping power but the Elixr seem to have a more progressive/controlling feel. Both will stop you equally as well, just depends if you want an "on/off" brake or something with a little more control. I think the elixers might be a little heavier too. Personally id go for the XTs

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
In my recent experience with 2 year old Avids, it's just not worth the hassle. I had Elixir R's and tried 2 complete rebuilds and countless rebleeds to get them to work well, the pistons were sticking badly. Even gave them to the LBS to have a go and they couldn't fix it for any length of time.

I bought some SLX brakes including rotors for a great price locally and could not be happier! WAY more power than the Elixir's and still has the reach adjust that I need for my smaller hands.

Go Shimano, you wont look back.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Pad replacement

Shimano for ease of pad replacement. I have Avids and they can be a pain to replace or even reset if you happen to knock or displace a pad with the rotor when replacing a wheel (after transport, tyre change, tube change etc.). The "tool free" is a bit of a gimmick can be done on occasions when the planets are in alignment but if you don't get it just right it is a pain.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Help needed to resolve a dilemma I have. I need to replace my brakes on my anthem, I can go and buy a set of xt or SLX from crc for about 240 both of which are very good and everybody seams to recommend them.

HOWEVER...
A mate will sell me his 3 year old Elixer R brakes and 3 year fox forks for $400 and pick over his old bike for spares.
I currently have a set of fox forks on my bike which are 7 years old and to me they work ok not sure if the new forks would be any better though.

Thoughts please re the following
Are elixer r as rubbish as the reviews say? I am currently using a 8 year old Hayes 9 front and juicy 4 on the back both of which have been maintenance free.
What would you do if you had the same dilemma?

Look forward to your replies.
Get you current forks serviced and get the Shimano's. Elixers have nice feel (XT not bad though) but reliability is Avids downfall (not if but when).

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano for ease of pad replacement. I have Avids and they can be a pain to replace or even reset if you happen to knock or displace a pad with the rotor when replacing a wheel (after transport, tyre change, tube change etc.). The "tool free" is a bit of a gimmick can be done on occasions when the planets are in alignment but if you don't get it just right it is a pain.
I think you are talking juicy pads, Elixirs are not tool free and i believe are similar in fit to Shimano.....

conkyd

Likes Bikes
I replaced the Avids on my Anthem with XT's and ICE tech rotors.
I couldn't be happier. The lever adjustment and feel is better for me.

now I am removing the juicy's off my SS and replacing them with deore

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Looks like its new xt's for me then as I am not good with the service and maintenance, I have never bleed any of my hydro brakes so I don't want to go and buy a pair of brakes that will take up too much of my valuable time.
I think I was distracted by the newer forks but as someone posted get my current forks serviced and they will be fine.
Plus I can spend the difference on other stuff.

As an additional question are the ice rotors worth the additional money? I only really ride xc but I'm about 90kgs riding weight. I was planning on using my existing Hayes rotors.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the new SLX/XT lever feel. Used to love my old Avid Juicy Fives. Since my new bike came with XT, I will never go back. Ease of bleed, cutting down the hoses, replacing hoses. So simple with Shimano.

moorey

call me Mia
Don't worry about the rotors. Nice, but sound unnecessary for you.
Re bleeding: I bled my old saints for first time this year. Bought them new in 04. Shimano are just soooo hassle free, you cant go past them. I still say consider SH. I grabbed 2010 XT's for 100 clams in awesome condition. Unless you have money to spare (I don't), it's an awesome option.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Don't worry about the rotors. Nice, but sound unnecessary for you.
Re bleeding: I bled my old saints for first time this year. Bought them new in 04. Shimano are just soooo hassle free, you cant go past them. I still say consider SH. I grabbed 2010 XT's for 100 clams in awesome condition. Unless you have money to spare (I don't), it's an awesome option.
Thanks moorey,
Fortunately I can afford new due a recent significant birthday, I get to move up a race category now. I am very keen to get brakes that don't need to be bled regularly. Off to the shops I go......

markb84

Likes Dirt
I would compare shimano to brakes that work and are reliable for a like for like comparison. I would only be considering Avids as a realistic option if the alternative was carrying a boat anchor and chucking it in order to slow down.

If you were to compare it to selecting a car then:
Shimano = Audi R8; a feat of modern engineering, good to look at, functional and reliable.
Avid = Fisherprice my first car; made of plastic, designed for children, will break if you use it the way an adult would.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks moorey,
Fortunately I can afford new due a recent significant birthday, I get to move up a race category now. I am very keen to get brakes that don't need to be bled regularly. Off to the shops I go......
Sweet...and nothing against LBS's, but be sure to check out some online prices (cough..CRC..), and find a good use for the spare couple of hundred, or TBSM if you want to support an Aussie store.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had Avid's on my last two DH bikes and they have been awesome...I've haven't done any maintenance on them and they have never let me down!

So I'm lost as to why eveyone is saying they are so $hit!