elixir caliper extremely close to spokes

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have calipers which are extremely close to spokes on their wheels?
i have a pair of elixirs which the red metal hose angle adjuster just clears the spokes. I think the closest spoke clears it by about 1.5-2mm. Do spokes compress enough in really bump sections or from drops that they might catch onto the caliper and break, dent or snap?

pipes10

Likes Bikes
this problem has come up with a few setups...u will be fine if it's not hitting the spokes....there are a few options if u feel uneasy about it:

adjust the caliper all the way outboard (u will have to adjust the pads to recenter the rotor)

buy a larger rotor

put some rotor spacers to move the rotor outboard, then move the caliper outboard as well

buy a hub with a lower profile flange

any pics of your setup??

newbiemtb

Likes Bikes
buy a hub with a lower profile flange

any pics of your setup??
i have a shimano slx M665 front hub. Is this a high flange hub? What would be a lower one? It doesnt seem to be too much of a problem yet. The guy at the bike shop checked it out and said he has seen calipers much closer then mine. But i am getting a bit of noise from what seems to be the spokes when i am cranking really hard on the pedals and moving the bike side to side. Not sure if that would be the spokes compressing and hitting the caliper thuogh.

pipes10

Likes Bikes
the flange on the shimano hub should be fine....if your spokes were hitting the caliper u would see wear marks...if there are no marks then u are alright....if there are, cheapest solution would be setting the caliper all the way outboard. second would be a larger rotor

mushroom

Likes Dirt
I think the noise you are describing while pedaling hard, side to side, out of the saddle is probably the wheel or fork flexing, causing the rotor to rub on the pads.

georgek

Squid
brakes

yeh i have the same problem im running a hayes 9 setup and my brake calipers come extremely close to rim spokes. i have been running this for around a year now and have had no problems. if its not rubbing then you should be alright