Ellsworth Truth experiences

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Putting together a bike for my brother and saw an Ellsworth Truth (2008) frame up for sale. I'm pretty keen on it and think it'll be great with a 120-140mm fork up front as a do everything trail bike.

It'll inherit all the parts from my frankenbike which he has been riding, and after a couple singletracks he's hooked.
But he's a little hesitant because of all the bad rep on the interwebs.

I've tried reading up, and in effect it's all about poor customer service and more concerning frames breaking.

Has anyone had any experience with these? is it something I should really be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

John U

MTB Precision
When frames break customer service is very important. If frames never broke you might get away with shit customer service. Price dependent, I wouldn't go there. That is if it's cheap as chips it might be worth giving it a go.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
It is 7 years old - if it breaks it is so far outside warranty it really isnt an issue- you would need to get it repaired. I have had a few friends who owned truths back in the day and they rode really well/ light frame for the time. Your right CS was a shocker.

Cant help but think there are better deals out there ATM. Look at a 29er bike for your mate- they are great for beginners. If you go the Truth then I wouldnt put anything longer than 120mm up front.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
thanks guys.

The guy who's selling it is a really nice guy, feel bad but it's for my brother so gotta do right by him.

Issue with 29er frameset, is the need for 29er wheels and forks.

Looking at an 2011 Epic now... the size charts say he should be riding a medium, but he seems comfortable on a small frame. I will have a spare set of 650b wheels, so might get a 15mm to QR adapter and run that. Seems like it'll work.
Might look at reducing the forks from 140mm to 120mm, but only if it will cause issues.

Minlak

custom titis
If you are riding with someone who falls off this bike you do get to yell at them "You can't handle the truth". Don't forget to factor that in before you change your mind.....

redbruce

Eats Squid
thanks guys.

The guy who's selling it is a really nice guy, feel bad but it's for my brother so gotta do right by him.

Issue with 29er frameset, is the need for 29er wheels and forks.

Looking at an 2011 Epic now... the size charts say he should be riding a medium, but he seems comfortable on a small frame. I will have a spare set of 650b wheels, so might get a 15mm to QR adapter and run that. Seems like it'll work.
Might look at reducing the forks from 140mm to 120mm, but only if it will cause issues.
It's a 100mm travel bike designed as a fast race bike. A great bike, but ditch the 140mm fork idea up front (raising the BB by 18mm just for starters).

A Stumpjumper might be a better starting point.

Last edited: