Emergency kits, spares and tools.

BP1

Squid
Hi all,

I was interested in the opinions of RB members about what I should chuck in my pack when I go on solo rides on trails that are in areas where you might not always come across other riders or trail users. I'm in Melbourne and often ride trails in bush areas (Nat Park & State Forest) within 1-2 hours of the city. Some of these areas are well frequented by mtb'ers and some less so, and at certain times of the week you can ride for hours without seeing another rider.

This was brought into focus after I had an accident on a solo ride where I broke a finger, and on another ride in an isolated area I had multiple punctures which got me back to the car much later than I had planned.

I carry spares and tools to get me out of most common situations, but I want to be able to stay out overnight if I was forced to e.g., broken leg. I always let someone know where I'm going, when I expect to return, and I then advise once I'm safely back at my car. The theory is, if I had to stay out overnight I could do it, albeit uncomfortably. Then I could be located the next day provided I hadn't deviated from where I planned to ride.

I've considered purchasing an EPIRB but they aren't cheap and I'm not heading into remote areas. I'll keep thinking about that one...

I wear a small back-pack (Deuter Race-Air which is BRILLIANT!) with Camelbak bladder and carry the following items with me:
  • mobile phone with spare charged battery
  • multi-tool with chainbreaker
  • spare quick-links and short length of chain.
  • tube, levers and patch kit
  • pump
  • cable-ties and velcro
  • disc pads
  • rag
  • snake-bite kit (compression bandage)
  • matches
  • paper/tinder
  • A few extra gels and muesli bars
  • pocket-knife
  • emergency space blanket
  • rain-jersey
  • long-sleeve thermal top
  • UHF portable handset (on a pre-arranged channel)

It seems like a lot of crap but it's not that bulky or heavy compared to the 2-3 litres of water I'm carrying.

Would you suggest anything else? What items do you carry? Am I being too paranoid/pessimistic?

I'm not trying to plan for every eventuality, just want to be well prepared for the most obvious scenarios.

Looking forward to your responses.

BP.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
If i had the misfortune of breaking a leg out on a remote trail, there is only one piece of equipment I would want............

A PLB.

BP1

Squid
There are numerous other threads covering this exact topic.
Thanks willsy, I did do some searching and never found anything, if you're able to post links that would be appreciated.

Add one of these
http://nz.icebreaker.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-IB-NZ-Site/en/Product-Show?pid=IBM200
you lose a lot of heat out of your head.

And a whistle.

I carry a flint which I've never actually used.

I theory, these things should still work if you end up getting dunked in a river.
Thanks John, I remembered I always carry a beanie/skullcap in the cooler months and a muff/bandanna thingy in warmer months.

A whistle is a good idea and not heavy either so Ill pack one in. I bought a flint years ago and could never get the damn thing to work properly so I gave it to a mate and he swears by it. Yes, they'll work when wet but you need a dry tinder to get them working. I now carry windproof and waterproof matches and although I've never had to use them in a real situation, they do seem to be water and wind proof!

Forgot to add I always keep the phone in a ziplock bag, more to protect it from potential Camelbak leaks than anything else. Plus I always take a front and rear light in case I have to return via public roads in the dark.

John U

MTB Precision
I bought a flint years ago and could never get the damn thing to work properly so I gave it to a mate and he swears by it. Yes, they'll work when wet but you need a dry tinder to get them working. I now carry windproof and waterproof matches and although I've never had to use them in a real situation, they do seem to be water and wind proof!
I've tried to light a Trangia in the back yard with my flint and couldn't get it going. It'd probably be pretty useless if I needed to use it.

BP1

Squid
Yeah, Bear Grylls seems to know how to use one, but then he knows a whole lotta stuff that I won't be in a hurry to try!

0psi

Eats Squid
I've tried to light a Trangia in the back yard with my flint and couldn't get it going. It'd probably be pretty useless if I needed to use it.
Forget flints and go a mag fire starter like one of these

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-firesteel-20.aspx

Word of advice, don't play with it indoors, especially if you have carpet.

If you are going somewhere that is accessible but doesn't see a lot of traffic then the essentials are
PLB
Compression bandage
Basic tool kit and spares
Food

If you are going further afield then some sort of shelter may be handy (Bivvy sack or a blizzard survival cell) and in winter maybe a way of starting a fire.

It's a fairly open question really as it really depends on your location, time of year and how quickly emergency services can get to you.

John U

MTB Precision
Forget flints and go a mag fire starter like one of these

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-firesteel-20.aspx

Word of advice, don't play with it indoors, especially if you have carpet.
Yep, that's what I've got. The silver bit looks a bit different in mine. It's a couple of years old. It puts out an impressive amount of sparks. Maybe they aren't much good using with a trangia. I probably need a bit ot practice using mine. I didn't want to push my luck as I was camping with the kids in the backyard. Didn't want to blow anything up.

0psi

Eats Squid
Yeah I've never tried using one with a Trangia (I'm a Jetboil man) only lighting tinder and my carpet :flame:

douuug

Squid
All fits in the front pocket of a camelbak HAWG NV.
pump
tyre levers
little multi tool
chain breaker
patch kit
a few band-aids/wraps
short length of chain
rag
cable ties
3 allen keys

redbruce

Eats Squid
Did you use the flint to light tinder and use the tinder to light the metho in the pot?

It does work (although generally not when I'm trying to demonstrate to Scouts) and will light a gas stove directly (might lose some finger hair in the process).

Those Swedish mag lighters are the shizz.

Last edited:

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Some additional things I carry are:
- Lighter and a fire starter block
- Band-aid, iodine swabs, pain killers
- String - actually quite useful
- Leatherman
- Spare torch (all our riding is after dark)
- Compass - Silva make keyring size ones (you should also know how to find north both day and night without a compass)
- Spare cash

I also work out a Plan B. If we get seriously lost, do we head north, south.... to get to the nearest road.

And when I was working on remote mine sites and riding between the mine and camp, I would have a very detailed survey map indicating where I was going that night. Nothing like solo riding virgin ground hundred of miles from anywhere under millions of stars. :)