Enduro/AM stem size?

omac

Likes Dirt
Whats the best stem size for pedaling up as well as down?

I understand that stem size is a personnel thing but I'm buying a new bike in a few weeks (Zesty 727) & I can't make up my mind between a 50mm or 65 mm RF Atlas. I have a DH background so I'm leaning more towards the 50 but I'll need the same bike for trail rides, Enduro & even some DH/Freeriding from time to time. Is the extra 15mm on the 65 going to make a huge difference on the climbs?

Cheers

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Depends on the head angle and/seat angle. A slackish head with a steepish SA the 65 will be noticeable, slack and slack, not so much. Got travel adjustable forks? If yes, stick with the fiddy and drop the front end on the climbs.

Having said that, I'm running a 40mm job and manage to go over the bars on a regular basis with no trouble what so ever. Don't really lift the front wheel on any but the steepest technical climbs, in the saddle or out.

omac

Likes Dirt
I'm swapping the Fox forks for Duel position Pikes... 50 it is then.

Cheers Knuckles

moorey

call me Mia
I like around 50-60 on the AM bike (currently a Thomson 50), more like 70 for the trail/xc rigs.

moorey

call me Mia
manage to go over the bars on a regular basis with no trouble what so ever.
It's true. He does.

Don't really lift the front wheel on any but the steepest technical climbs, in the saddle or out.
I found I had to run flatter bars to prevent this. 10mm rise on most of my bikes, and little if any rise in stem preferred.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
I'm in the same boat , just using a 90mm s-works stem at the moment till I ride it for a bit , then maybe go for a 65mm