enduro bikes

m_g

Likes Dirt
as an aside to the long travel XC thread, was just curious what people would recommend for endurance races (6,12,24 h)...Im looking at getting a new rig soon and wouldnt mind speccing it up towards the endurance events...
What do you guys use for enduros that differ from a short format XC race?
Probably looking up to $2500 bucks...
Cheers

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Ride the bike you enjoy riding the most - you're going to be on it a long time (hopefully).

My weapon of choice this year has been a rigid singlespeed for the WWS 8hr races but will probably get some bouncey forks for the 12 & 24 hrs. This may make me a nutter, but I'm having fun and it stops hurting when I stop riding.

Beena

BSC Bikes
Check out the new Cannondale Rush (new 'Marathon' models). Base model starts at $2300rrp

leighha

Likes Dirt
alchemist said:
Ride the bike you enjoy riding the most - you're going to be on it a long time (hopefully).

My weapon of choice this year has been a rigid singlespeed for the WWS 8hr races but will probably get some bouncey forks for the 12 & 24 hrs. This may make me a nutter, but I'm having fun and it stops hurting when I stop riding.
Good call, you could put together a real nice fully rigid siglespeed for 2500 maybe get it under 10kgs. Then bring on 12 hours of pure pain (fun). Go on dare you. No really do it.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
leighha said:
Good call, you could put together a real nice fully rigid siglespeed for 2500 maybe get it under 10kgs. Then bring on 12 hours of pure pain (fun). Go on dare you. No really do it.
Easily get it under 10kg. Mine is 11kg without even trying.

m_g

Likes Dirt
hmmm...fully rigid, singlespeed eh??? I wouldnt last an hour let alone 12... :eek:
I think I would rather go for something heavier and get a plush ride if I was going to be riding for that long...yes, Im weak as :D

majura

Squid
If you're sticking strictly to XC maybe a Kona Kikapu/Kikapu Deluxe (if you can throw in a couple hundred more). If you're wanting some more comfort/trail friendlybike a Kona Dawg/ Dawg Matic. Or maybe a Giant Trance 1 or 2. A little more expensive, but a friend of mine just bought one and can't stop raving about it. She's got the Reba SL's set up to 115mm (rather than than 100mm). Not to mention all the great reviews floating around... so much so that the Trance 2 will be my next purchase (that is when I can scrounge round $2800!). IMO there's just a huge gap component wise between $2000 and $3000ish FS bikes that it's worth saving a little more. That way you wont catch upgrade-itis (well not too much).

struggles

Likes Dirt
If you want to spend a bit more you can't go past a trek fuel. I have got the ex7 and am very happy with it. Its very easy just to go out for a ride and come back 5 hours later feeling ok.

Unlike my full rigid singlespeed that just kills me.

Bodin

GMBC
As always, I'll put in my plug for a Specialized FSR. I don't think anything says comfort/traction/performance like a bike with a Horst Link - particularly over long distances. I wouldn't choose an FSR for short track stuff because they feel a little sluggish to accelerate on and there are designs out there that feel stiffer, but if you're after something that will track over anything for as long as you can ride without nasty things like chain feedback and brake jack, then I reckon an FSR is the way.

BTW - I've heard awesome things about the Giant Trance. I'd love to try one some day - as Majura pointed out, they seem to be specc'd perfectly for enduro stuff.

Last edited:

Makalu

Squid
I can only say good things about the Trance 2 at this point, after riding my new one for about 15 hours, inc an 8 hour race.

Has the comfort of an enduro bike, but is light enough for enduro races. And good value for $2800 with the specs it has.

Only problems thus far:

Bottle Cages - bad positioning. You can only use short bottles.
Tyres - will need changing for races as the Hutchison Bulldogs are pretty chunky
Paintwork - a bit light on, has rubbed off along cables around.

schwing

Likes Dirt
Warning I am selling one .....
look for it under complete bikes I won't spruik here

Kona Dawg/ formally known as a Bear.
even new offer value for money
4 inchs front and rear ,
good bottle postioning
durable as all get out frame ( all sealed bearings)
quite short cockpit so saving lower back.
reasonable weight especially in higher models.
weight can be cust down with different tyres/ bars/ seat/
known to be mainstay in the quiver of more than one bike shop guru.
simple but effective suspension design.

ironhorse do some nice rigs too.

Last edited:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,
Thought I'd put my 2 cents in, have a look at the cannondale prophets. I race in enduros & epics at every opportunity & have found this ride to be nibble enough for the climbing & perfect for the decents. I'm only riding a base model with a rear shock upgrade to include SPV & that bike set me back a total of $2800 + the bike is also good fun for general trail use with the lads.

Bike Spec:
Cannondale Prophet 600- race red clean frame except for sponsors stickers
Lefty Max Fluid Flow front shock
Manitou 3way swinger rear shock
avid BB7 cable disc brakes with avid levers
mavic rims & cannondale hubs
specialized BG comp saddle (very important for enduros)
Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 tyres F/R or IRC Trailbear 2.25 pending on track
Yuri grips/Yuri lock-on grips (also very important)
Truvativ Cranks pending on the track may remove granny gear
Shimano running gear LX/XT

As you can see not the lightest rig but very enjoyable & comfortable to ride.
Really get on some bikes & ride every bike is different & what works for 1 may not be right for another. Most importantly spend a bit of time reserching your bike, its geometry & especially the contact points, saddle, pedals & bars/grips get this right & you'll be smiling to the wee hours of the morning.
Good Luck
Hopefully pass you in a enduro or 2 :D

Last edited: