enve wheels, are they worth it?

Gripo

Eats Squid
I'm thinking about a set of Enve wheels, but the stock build doesn't seem to come with a 135x12 rear. What about Enve rims and Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs?
Totally understand what your saying, not having Hope hubs are one of the several things holding me back from investing in carbon wheels....

ADD

Likes Dirt
The xc 26's with dt240 hubs, nothing too special but I know what one of the guys know who punishes his bike still has his 3yr old pair and they are still going strong. He does some heavy all mtn work that verges on downhill but does a lot of xc work on his santacruz blur tr.
Do yourself a massive favor if you haven't already and install the 36 star ratchets in the 240's. Even more responsiveness and better for technical climbing, etc.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Do yourself a massive favor if you haven't already and install the 36 star ratchets in the 240's. Even more responsiveness and better for technical climbing, etc.
+1 for that.

Op's being current 240's, should come already fitted.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
The hubs are the 2012 model, will this have the upgraded ratchet system?

Also for the guys who don't do it because they cannot get hold of hope hubs, you can get Chris King hubs which are meant to be pretty good. But I also thought that the dt240's are meant to be pretty good

ADD

Likes Dirt
+1 for that.

Op's being current 240's, should come already fitted.
Mine didn't. Which was a bit of disappointment but gave me the chance to learn the big difference between the ratchets. They're also one gram lighter... Woohoo one gram! More crazy weight savings!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Also for the guys who don't do it because they cannot get hold of hope hubs, you can get Chris King hubs which are meant to be pretty good. But I also thought that the dt240's are meant to be pretty good
At a guess, its about the flexibility of hopes - same hub, 12mm or 10mm thru axle, 135, or 142, inexpensive kits to change between bikes.

ADD

Likes Dirt

Sorry, didn't see this post. My hubs were 2013 centrelocks and they didn't have the 36 star ratchet. Mine didn't even come with a skewer though. (Std qr rear)

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Im running 15mm through front and 142 x 12mm rear and was originally set up for a 135 qr in the rear. .. There was no issue changing parts to make the rear fit

So what makes the 36 star work so much better?

ADD

Likes Dirt
Im running 15mm through front and 142 x 12mm rear and was originally set up for a 135 qr in the rear. .. There was no issue changing parts to make the rear fit

So what makes the 36 star work so much better?
Twice the engagement points. Perfect for keeping that momentum up pedaling through rock gardens.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be happy with the DT or CK hubs if they came in the configuration I need from the start, but if I have to change the rear hub set up anyway I might as well go for hubs that I'd prefer.

ADD

Likes Dirt
I'd be happy with the DT or CK hubs if they came in the configuration I need from the start, but if I have to change the rear hub set up anyway I might as well go for hubs that I'd prefer.
The dt setup takes about 2min to reconfigure for your drop outs.

D_Nine

Yes massive improvement on my Slayer.Had a custom build with 26 AM rims and E13 TRS+ hubs.Am now saving up to put a set on my Kona Satori 29R. Steering minimised and power down insane.As most reviews state " if you can't afford them don't try them "!!

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I think I'm going to eventually throw some Chinese Carbon rims onto my Genius, due to me not being able to spend astronomic amounts of money on wheels. They seem to be getting decent reviews and if they do happen to fail then they don't hesitate to send out a replacement :party:

MB

Intense Australia
I'm thinking about a set of Enve wheels, but the stock build doesn't seem to come with a 135x12 rear. What about Enve rims and Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs?
I'm running a set of 650 am's on pro 2's to a lot of people's dismay. These wheels are faultless, have heaps of options for frame fitment, roll well and are super reliable. The only problems I have with them are being judged by haters about enves deserving to be on better (king, dt, tune) hubs which is BS because hopes are great, but my biggest gripe is the noise the hubs make (freewheel). Besides that the wheels are well worth the outlay and I'd say to anybody to get them by any means possible, sell your kids, wife, soul, arse - whatever it takes.

Stint

Likes Dirt
Rather than opening a new thread on this topic, I thought I would resurrect this one.

Just wanted to get the consensus of people who have got carbon wheels, and have put it through its paces. How much dents have your carbon wheels experienced from rocks hitting the side rim, and deforming the surface?

When this damage has been made, has it become the weak point for failure to occur?

The reason I ask is that the trail that I ride the most is strewn with fist size granite-quartz rocks, and often when riding over these, the tyre would roll off them and cause the rock to smash into the side of the rim. Looking through the testing video of enve, and seeing the failure mode of enve wheels from pinkbike, they focus heavily on when the wheels g-out a landing, or landing directly onto something like a rock or log which causes a concentrated point load on the rim. Nothing in the way of localised deformation of the rim face - in fact, most reviews state that the carbon rims show no signs of damage from the long term tests (I would believe this if we all rode in the Canadian loamy forest, but the OZ conditions is far from this).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It depends a bit on how forcefully the rocks are getting flicked around, but generally that kind of secondary impact is unlikely to cause damage beyond chipping the clearcoat. You have greater risk of stuffing a rim from a hard direct impact on a rock that exceeds the absorption ability of the tyre & crunches it that way. Unlike aluminium, carbon remains elastic all the way to its failure point (if the stress is within the failure limit, it will spring back to its original shape), so it's either fine or broken. Aluminium has a "plastic" phase, where a stress exceeds the elastic property, but is below the failure point, resulting in a permanent deformation (AKA dent).

Stint

Likes Dirt
Yup, I understand that the material properties of carbon is such that its failure mechanism is such that there is no plastic phase prior to material failure, so whilst being stronger, it also means that when the wheel goes, it goes without warning.

Again, my question was that if through normal riding with carbon rims (does not have to be ENVE), and you are getting damage to the sidewall through debris impacting that causes "bruising" to the carbon weave (where the damage is greater than chipping the clearcoat, but the sidewall has been indented), has this compromised the wheel?

I would say that Finite Element Analysis would give a good indication on where the stresses are going in a wheel, but its been many moons since I've played with such software, and I've taken too many hits in the head to work it out first principle.

ON a side note, Roggeman of NSMB says of his experience with riding ENVE AM wheels "...After 4 months of riding, they are arrow straight despite some war wounds on the sidewalls that tell a tale of abuse and poor line choices at speed. One incident with a misbehaving derailleur resulted in two broken spokes, but the rim continued to run true – it was as if the spokes weren’t missed. They have been flawless, and they damn well better be, given the cost."
So, this is telling me that the "bruising" that I am referring to is part and parcel of riding with carbon.

Reference: http://nsmb.com/chris-king-and-enve-for-dh-and-am/

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Again, my question was that if through normal riding with carbon rims (does not have to be ENVE), and you are getting damage to the sidewall through debris impacting that causes "bruising" to the carbon weave (where the damage is greater than chipping the clearcoat, but the sidewall has been indented), has this compromised the wheel?
What Ducky has said is that carbon will not show significant "bruising" unless it has met it's failure point i.e. if it is indented, then it has compromised the wheel. Subject to weight/strength compromises, the failure point for carbon is expected to be higher than the 'bruising' point for aluminum.