Enve wheels

Knut

Troll hunter
I know what you were saying. It's all cool. Just that some people want to compare ENVE carbon wheels with other products that are not the same. Not a crack at you.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I know what you were saying. It's all cool. Just that some people want to compare ENVE carbon wheels with other products that are not the same. Not a crack at you.
as you were Knut - no sweat mate

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ive had my ENVE wheels for 14 months, they were handbuilt by ENVE and have not needed truing. Remember the carbon rims on their own are super stiff so i would'nt even use the word "crest" in the same sentance. I have built and ridden 2 sets of crest 29 wheels and they are great rims but not even close to the feel of riding carbon rims.

One of the sets of crests i built, i rode for 9 months then sold to mate who is still riding them with no issues so handbuilt wheels that are properly prepped and quality parts used are a world away from machine spun that always need attention.

My 28h XC UST Enve / kings / sapim cx rays weighed 1555g on the button, you build them up 240/190, kappius, Tune or Extralite and you can put them way down in the 1300's.

I cant comment on comparing them to other brands of carbon rims, i would say they are comparable in stiffness and ride.... maybe even strength and longevity. Theres no doubt that the ENVE rims are bloody expensive..... apart from the bling factor im sure theres cheaper alternatives out there the same or maybe better.

BTW, dont know if this is good or bad but ....

EnveUSA.jpg

MB

Intense Australia
Ive had my ENVE wheels for 14 months, they were handbuilt by ENVE and have not needed truing. Remember the carbon rims on their own are super stiff so i would'nt even use the word "crest" in the same sentance. I have built and ridden 2 sets of crest 29 wheels and they are great rims but not even close to the feel of riding carbon rims.

One of the sets of crests i built, i rode for 9 months then sold to mate who is still riding them with no issues so handbuilt wheels that are properly prepped and quality parts used are a world away from machine spun that always need attention.

My 28h XC UST Enve / kings / sapim cx rays weighed 1555g on the button, you build them up 240/190, kappius, Tune or Extralite and you can put them way down in the 1300's.

I cant comment on comparing them to other brands of carbon rims, i would say they are comparable in stiffness and ride.... maybe even strength and longevity. Theres no doubt that the ENVE rims are bloody expensive..... apart from the bling factor im sure theres cheaper alternatives out there the same or maybe better.

BTW, dont know if this is good or bad but ....

View attachment 243606
Are you referring to the tape around your valve extender or the "handmade in the USA" sticker? The taping is a must, it will drive you nuts if you don't do it. Heat shrink around the extender will work great and look heaps neater. If you're running tubs and have this problem? Too bad, just think about the heat shrink before installing your next one.

The other part? While there are many people with reservations about the US' QC that aren't completely unfounded there are some truly stunning products coming from the States right now, with many companies like ENVE pushing the envelope of what's possible. I was very fortunate to take Jason Schiers (owner of ENVE) out for some local trail riding while he and the ENVE crew came out to Australia around this time last year. He is a very switched on guy with a passion for pushing engineering to the limits. The guy made a swingarm for his own Ducati 1098 (maybe 1198? single sided jobbie) a couple of years ago by machining down original arm and then custom wrapping it using his own patented processes. The guy's a fricken genius, and funny as hell too. Loves beer, McDonalds brekkies, etc. He is one very rad cat.

So back to the wheels - if you can afford them? Go for it, you will not regret it, they are mind blowing. If you can't - find a way to make it happen, sell your wife/kids/car/mum/other loved posession. They are that good.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It was the only random photo i could find on the net. Not the same as my XC enve sticker but you get the gist.... My point was they are handmade in USA. Good or bad i dont know but they are solid so far.

Knut

Troll hunter
Even if he is, doesn't sound like he is trying to over sell. There are only so many industry people to go around. There are a few sets out there racing and riding. Enough to reccommend to the OP.

fezi

Likes Dirt
So, I've had Easton EC90 carbon wheels and whilst they were good they lasted 10hrs of riding before busting spokes on a road section, poor spares availability saw me get a refund and go with custom enve wheels. Both weighed in approximately the same, for my money the Easton's were slightly stiffer but the reliability is poor and woeful customer service from the importer left a bad taste in my mouth so never again. The enve's have been rock solid in reliability, I can pick up spokes from pretty much any bike shop worth visiting. I've had zero issues and the wheels are still as true as when they arrived in my grubby hands, so for a expensive set of wheels I think they deliver the goods and have taken a good deal of punishment off me. Are they worth it? Only the purchaser can decide but they aren't cheap

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I have owned ENVE bars and seat post and they are absolutely exceptional. The finish is stunning. As are their rims. Super stiff and must be a pleasure to ride. If you can really afford it - yes you should go for it - you will notice a difference - it wont make you better in the sack.

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I have owned ENVE bars and seat post and they are absolutely exceptional. The finish is stunning. As are their rims. Super stiff and must be a pleasure to ride. If you can really afford it - yes you should go for it - you will notice a difference - it wont make you better in the sack.
The last point is the reason why I haven't forked!! out the dollars as ENVE can't gaurantee "off field" performance :eyebrows:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The last point is the reason why I haven't forked!! out the dollars as ENVE can't gaurantee "off field" performance :eyebrows:
just like standing next to a 29er naked makes your c*ck look small............... I tend to pose next to my kids trike for those single websites. You dont want to be naked next to a ENVE anything - big, black, expensive, shinny and hard - no thanks

Big JD

Wheel size expert
You Yarra trails guys are weird... Goes with the territory I guess ;)
you have to adapt OCDr or you get left behind. It is tough to keep up with the hipsters you know - like 650 b and fat bikes, shinny jeans, tattoos, facebook and designer haircuts, dropper posts, beards and ENVE gear.
All these things are vital for the modern man OCDr - it has little to do with the deliquents who frequent the Yarra Flats in leather chaps with a bucket of lube. They dont know/care if you are riding on ENVE rims - but we do.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Just trying to figure out how we got from carbon rims to leather chaps and buckets of lube.
Then again perhaps I don't want to know
:focus:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just like standing next to a 29er naked makes your c*ck look small............... I tend to pose next to my kids trike for those single websites. You dont want to be naked next to a ENVE anything - big, black, expensive, shinny and hard - no thanks
thanks for the post John, I may have nightmares tonight of this huge guy next to a kids bike with his tiny pecker in hand.....

MB

Intense Australia
you have to adapt OCDr or you get left behind. It is tough to keep up with the hipsters you know - like 650 b and fat bikes, shinny jeans, tattoos, facebook and designer haircuts, dropper posts, beards and ENVE gear.
All these things are vital for the modern man OCDr - it has little to do with the deliquents who frequent the Yarra Flats in leather chaps with a bucket of lube. They dont know/care if you are riding on ENVE rims - but we do.
It's all about the look JD. Assless chaps AND ENVE wheels for the win. I remember when this image of you down the trails popped up, I was very surprised that you didn't have your chaps on that day....

Attachments

Big JD

Wheel size expert
bike racks

Moonman - that is simply not fair mate. You would expose yourself too if you had to ride around on a Huffy - anything to bring on some excitement.
My Dad used to tell me as a kid that if I was disrespectful to my parents that I would be buried (when i die)with my ar*e sticking out of the ground so people could park their bikes in it. Reminds me of flying around a narrow corner on the flats (2 years ago) and almost ramming my
wheel up a butt naked guy dogging another guy bent over a log.
Ar*es are for parking your bike in.
How did you go with forks- anything interesting?

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All you ENVE haters go to another thread. I've used them, abused them and they are the best wheel that has ever been made. If you've got the spare cash, buy up and you won't regret it. I'm saying goodbye to one pair at the moment, only to fund a new pair!

Edit: I retract the most of the above. Re-read the thread and there is not too much hate haha. I'm an idiot. An idiot who just sold my Enve's ahha.

Last edited: