ESI grips

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My last 2 fingers go numb on rides so I thought I'd try some different grips. I'm currently running the standard Giant grips that came on my Reign. I'm thinking of trying ESI grips but not sure what thickness to look at? Chunky or the thinner racers ones. I have a medium size hand. Can someone point me in the direction of a thread on here if there is one? Or is anyone using either grip with a medium sized hand and what do they prefer?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I have size 9 hands (so large gloves) and have used both.
Personally I prefer the Chunky over the Racers Edge.
Racers Edge are very thin.... and wouldn't bother unless you have pixie hands!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

DMan

Good news. I was thinking the Chunkys.

aanon

Likes Dirt
I have a medium size hand and use racers edge but they do pack down after a bit of use so will get chunky ones next. Bloody good grips I reckon but aren't cheap.

gregp

Likes Dirt
Medium hand here (although some of my gloves are Large, depending on brand/model). I use Chunky ESIs and they fit well. I think they're basically close to the "average" size of the mtb grips so it's the best place to start.

Warp

Likes Dirt
I used ESI Chunkys. Nice grips and lighter than anything else.

I'm on Ergon GE-1s and I'm far much happier.

DMan

Did you buy the Ergons specifically for comfort or just to try something else?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

I'm with the mofo. Have used both and chunky wins hands down. They also cope better with crashes / tree strikes, reacers edge tear like toilet paper.

Currently running Ergon GE1 and really like the ergonomics. They aren't anywhere near as soft as ESI but I've not found this to be an issue at all.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

I'm with the mofo. Have used both and chunky wins hands down. They also cope better with crashes / tree strikes, reacers edge tear like toilet paper.

Currently running Ergon GE1 and really like the ergonomics. They aren't anywhere near as soft as ESI but I've not found this to be an issue at all.
I'm also an Ergon convert. GA1 came on the Canyon .... but I liked them a lot!
Now waiting on some GE1 to arrive in the post.

DMan

Since I got the Reign I've had problems with tennis elbow too so it would be great if something like the specific ergo positioning of the GE1s grips helped with that too...

Mattyp

Cows go boing
+1 for Ergon GE1 Factory's, haven't looked back since I got a pair of these, missus is running them too now. They feel like the give the bars a little bit of sweep and are slightly contoured to match your grip.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I changed from the stock bars on my Trance to a carbon Easton Havoc bar and my wrist problems are now gone. I didn't have arm problems before getting the trance and ride daily.

I put the stock Giant bars onto my hartail and they feel harsher than my previous Easton 25.4 aluminum flat bar. I would suggest the stock Giant riser bars are overly stiff.

DMan

I changed from the stock bars on my Trance to a carbon Easton Havoc bar and my wrist problems are now gone. I didn't have arm problems before getting the trance and ride daily.

I put the stock Giant bars onto my hartail and they feel harsher than my previous Easton 25.4 aluminum flat bar. I would suggest the stock Giant riser bars are overly stiff.
That's a fair call but I've changed the bars and run the Eastern Haven carbon bars off my other bike already. The bars that were on it were carbon though but I prefer the sweep of my old bars

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Recently changed from ESI chunky's (long term) to Ritchey WCS TrueGrip Foam Handlebar Grips (about $17 off wiggle). More than happy with the change.