European Van Life

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finished university last year, been working the standard 9-5 for the past 6 months and already regretting not taking a gap year between school/university to live the bike bum lifestyle somewhere like Whistler or Queenstown. I've been lucky enough to visit both while studying but it's only served to show exactly what I'm missing out on.

I'm not going to bail on my job so early, want to be able to develop a couple of years experience to help long term and also to save up some money, but I've started thinking of if I were to take time to be a bike bum while I'm still younger, without family commitments or home ownership limiting long term trips.

While Queenstown and Whistler seem to be the most popular summer bike destinations and would definitely put those on the itinerary, trying to work out if between those two doing a trip in a van through Europe would be feasible. Obviously see a lot of the privateers doing it for the world cup season but haven't seen much about people doing it more as a biking holiday (only seen plenty of people doing it as a general travelling trip). Therefore a few questions:

1) Who's done it, what general advice would you have?
2) For a 6 month period, how much money would you expect it to cost at a minimum (obviously could vary greatly).
3) Securing proper work on the road obviously has it's challenges compared to if you base yourself somewhere. As a
naive-Australia, is it worth trying to find odd jobs for just a couple of days for extra food money or best to save
more thoroughly first to avoid it?
4) In my mind the right bikes to take if it's a stop between Queenstown and Whistler would be a trail bike (150-
160mm) and my downhill bike. Any one foresee a problem with that?

Europe is a no brainer for me.
The diversity, variance, culture and history of all forms of cycling there is unmatchable anywhere else on the planet.

1) Who's done it, what general advice would you have?
Because there is so much riding to choose from even over six months or so you run the risk of missing out on some amazing riding. Often by only a short distance without even knowing it. Planning the ideal locations you desire, approx how long require there, whats between there and the next destination etc is the best way to avoid facepalm moments when looking at a map upon return to Australia.
Conversely, don't get too caught up in trying go everywhere over there. You would literally need years of constant riding.

2) For a 6 month period, how much money would you expect it to cost at a minimum (obviously could vary greatly).
Food and fuel is much cheaper than in Australia so the biggest variance in budget will most likely come from accommodation. Caravan parks are often well priced even in summer and often have wifi, kitchens and even cafes. With a van and basic campaign gear you could really cut back on spending, then of course depending on how rough you choose to go roadside/ stealth camping is free.

3) Securing proper work on the road obviously has it's challenges compared to if you base yourself somewhere. As a
naive-Australia, is it worth trying to find odd jobs for just a couple of days for extra food money or best to save
more thoroughly first to avoid it?
Hugely variable dependent on your experience, preferences, location and even season.

4) In my mind the right bikes to take if it's a stop between Queenstown and Whistler would be a trail bike (150-
160mm) and my downhill bike. Any one foresee a problem with that?
With the correct 160mm bike why even bother with the DH bike (unless planning on racing DH of course).

On a final note, don't get too caught up in Bike park or former WC Race locations as destinations. As the EWS has shown Europe is full of otherwise never heard of locations with brilliant trail networks. Do your best to see as much of the Alps as you can but when doing so always plan to stay on the French or Italian side of the border when near Switzerland. Your AUD will go a lot further.
As a relatively unknown be sure to look into Aosta Valley in Italy. There is over 5000 kms of Alpine trails linking through to amazing spots like Chamonix etc.

Enjoy.

Last edited: