Events, racing etc. How to get started?

mangool

Likes Bikes
hey, looked for some threads on this but haven't found anything satisfactory.

Whats the general progression towards racing? Are there different divisions for beginners and new riders?
do races always have set entry costs, and you have to pay for each individual one or can you register for a "season"?
Go easy, its obvious i've got absolutely NO idea! so please share anything even remotely relevant!

p.s. only just realised this is an aussies forum :clap2: which is good news!

ssjgogeta

Likes Dirt
Here might be a start:

http://www.mtba.asn.au/join/frequest-asked-questions

It depends what type of format the race is. If you are not a member of a club and do not hold an MTBA license, you will have to pay $20 for a "Day License" to race, in addition to the race fee itself which varies from event to event.

You might want to provide a bit more info:

Where you're from (State, Region etc.)
What kind of riding you are interested in doing

I'm sure many will jump into help if you provide a little more detail.

Last edited:

mangool

Likes Bikes
im in victoria on the mornington peninsula, into anything involving dirt that doesn't need HUGE travel.
so i think that puts me in the XC and maybe enduro category

adaib

Likes Dirt
im in victoria on the mornington peninsula
Sweet man.
So am I
I assume your a member of the local club, Red Hill Riders? If not, club rides are every sunday at the red hill school, starting at 8. All ablities. Come along and meet some of the guys.

As for racing, there are lots of races in Victoria.
Here's a pretty accurate callender of whats happening when: http://www.mountainbikevictoria.com/Calendar.aspx

To 'get into' racing its pretty easy. All you need is a bike.
There are heaps of types. XCO, XCC, ITTs enduros and marathons just to name a few.
The types of racing just determines sort of how long your riding for or if your doing laps or not. But basically, its still just bike racing on mtb tracks.

Before you ask
XCO; olympic length, usually about 1.45min to 2.30min doing laps of about 5km.
XCC; short track. usually only a couple of houndred metres. usually ride for about 45min, plus two laps
ITTs; Indevidual time trial along a set course
Enduros; lap races, usually lasting from 4 hours to 24 hours. You can do them in teams.
Marathons; Point to point races. usually 100km, but sometimes more or less.

To get ready for a race, just have a look online, to check if you need to register on the day, or pre register online. You have to have a racing MTBA licence to race if you don't have one, you can purchase a day licence, cost $20. To get a racing licences you just purchase one from the MTBA website.

On the day, or if you register online, you will select a category you want to race in. Categorys are often seperated from age, ability and gender. This allows the faster and slower riders to have equal amounts of fun.

Thats all i can think of from the top of my head, but fire away if you have more questions.

akashra

Eats Squid
If you are not a member of a club and do not hold an MTBA license, you will have to pay $15 minimum for a "Day License" to race, in addition to the race fee itself which varies from event to event.
Day license fees went up to $20 as of Jan 1 2011.

and a helmet :)
Well, as a joke, to test the rules we actually had someone run laps with just a front and rear brake once (it was a rather wet race). No bike. Just the levers and calipers.
Because by the way we read the rules at the time, that was all you needed - a working front a rear brake :)

Last edited:

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
not everybody is a world champ

the other thing to know is that most people are weekend riders not a graders.at my 1st race i thought there would be a note on the gate "lock on the way out" but its not like that.so just go and have fun .you will love it.:clap2:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the other thing to know is that most people are weekend riders not a graders.at my 1st race i thought there would be a note on the gate "lock on the way out" but its not like that.so just go and have fun .you will love it.:clap2:
Correct, when I am in an event (marathons mostly) I'm an 'entrant', not a 'competitor' or 'racer'. I've got no hope of getting a place prize. I'm only there to push myself harder than I would on a normal weekend ride. If I've been in the event before I want a better time than my best time, not trying to beat someone else.

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Correct, when I am in an event (marathons mostly) I'm an 'entrant', not a 'competitor' or 'racer'. I've got no hope of getting a place prize. I'm only there to push myself harder than I would on a normal weekend ride. If I've been in the event before I want a better time than my best time, not trying to beat someone else.
+1 I am hopeless and unfit and at my local races (WSMTB) people couldnt be more welcoming and inclusive. At my first "race" one guy in B grade sped past me and gave me his name and asked me to see him after the race. When I did he told me that he could see that I was new and then went on to give me a heap of fantastic advice that really helped my riding.

I hope its the same all over the sport.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
XCO; olympic length, usually about 1.45min to 2.30min doing laps of about 5km

So av speed about 150kpm.
They are not always so quick:whip: