Ever walked 80km in 24 hours for charity?

Jervis

Likes Dirt
"Such was a moment 45 years ago, when John F. Kennedy (JFK) announced that an endurance test of walking 50 miles be performed by U.S. servicemen to prove they were in ready military condition. To everyone's amazement, a willing public took up the challenge and extreme walking quickly became a national obsession. This is the tale of what happened as a challenge-hungry country, for a time, took physical fitness somewhat seriously." - Paul Kiczek, 2008
http://knol.google.com/k/the-50-mile-hike-phenomenon#

JFK set this challenge that my school decided to take up when the news of it finally filtered through to Tasmania all those years ago. It has been a tradition of Year 12's at Launceston Grammar to complete every year ever since. In the weeks leading up to this event, we find sponsors who are willing to donate money for a different charity that changes each year. This year we have chosen to donate our goal amount of around $25,000 the Kids Foundation.

Our task, walk 80km in 24 hours for the Kids Foundation and school tradition/"Right of passage" from a destination out the back of nowhere back to Launceston (I know some of you mainlanders may think Launceston itself is out the back of nowhere but think even more remote and you've got where we started our walk, haha etc).

This is my experience of the Launceston Church Grammar 'Walkathon' 2010 -
Please excuse the large grammatical errors.

30th March, Tuesday
Late night quickly making sure I've got everything. Plan to go to bed early obviously in place... finally sleep.

31st March, Wednesday
Awake, food, arrive at school, complete the morning lesson. Whole school assembly with all the Year 12's up on the main stage. Various 'inspirational' speeches from teachers who have completed the Walkathon themselves back when they were in Year 12. Leave assembly with the whole school cheering and clapping etc.
-(me holding the corner of the banner in this photo and my head next to the 'S' below)

Group photo of us all with Kids Foundation banners. Get on buses for the drive to our destination from where we were to walk back from. Arrive at destination, get prepared for the first walk (we had support utes that we had filled with out bags containing spare clothes etc which we could access at every rest break/regroup).

WALK WALK WALK.
regroup-

WALK WALK WALK. Then we get to our first major break at a football ground and clubhouse where mum's and teacher's have cooked us heaps of warm carbohydrate packed food. Demolish some jacket potatoes with much bacon, chicken, pies, fruit, water. Get ready for a big walk over these pass (seemed like a mountain pass since it got dark mid way through, but thankful for the full moon) then down on to flat plains and switch back towards the footy club. This loop took over 5 hours and was greeted with a lot of "WTF" style complaints because we had walked for hours but once back at the footy club, all sore and tired, felt like we had gotten no where.

Thursday 1st April
Second major break back at the footy club in the warmth and with more hot food being smashed down if you could find the energy to lift your arms to mouth, then there was the chewing part. WORST APRIL FOOLS EVER, except it wasn't April Fools as it was no joke and we still had around 9 hours to go. At this point there was much TLC being applied by the parents and support staff which was appreciated very very much (you guys may or may not read this but thank you soo much again!). The air was thick with the smell of Deep heat/Dencorub etc, being massaged on to sore legs. Bandages for blisters, changes of shoes, and clothes as the cold air outside had significantly set in.

Thank you and goodbyes to the committed parents and staff as we set off again for the longest (and soon we found out, the most demoralising) section of the walk. There are many photo's from the various camera's brought on the walk, starting at the school, on the bus. A lot during the afternoon when the sun was nice, and some when the sun was setting and when dark had taken over on the way back to the footy club. But during the 1am - 6am section you would be struggling to see more than a few camera's flashing. This reflected the mood very much, no one was prepared to lift a camera up to get some rough sort of composition going and let alone press the button(lol, etc), I think you get to idea of the mood I am trying to express. But for those of you who want clarification; we were thinking some where along the lines of "why? how much further? what is the point? FML!" etc.

Then we came to our last rest/break before the major stop for breakfast. This was the quietest break yet. There was a support bus and utes leading and following us the whole walk, everyone had an aim to not get on the bus. What had been built up before the Walkathon; if you gave up and got on to the bus you would suffer a massive loss of dignity and pride, it would be humiliating and demoralising. "DO NOT GET ON THE BUS". Unfortunately people during every Walkathon have got on the bus, it is something that is not talked about as generally we don't know who succumbs to the physical and/or physiological pain. A minority did this year and for those who found out it was sad to hear and something you were quietly sympathetic about. But it also provided more reason to keep pushing on, and so we did!

We continue on our MERRY way on to a dirt track with houses every now and then on the left and paddocks or bush on the right. Under overhanging pine trees that blocked out the moonlight and with only a handful of us carrying torches having left the rest in the utes. Puddles, horse shit and blackberry bushes for extra fun that I thankfully missed (except for one snag on some thorns, I have scars to prove it!) due to being up the front with the two head honcho's of Outdoor Ed who were much more alert than myself giving warning of any impending danger. We finally make it out of the darkness on to the road for a rest/regroup.

The next section was accompanied by the long awaited sunrise coming up over mountains on the eastern side of the Tamar Valley. We were walking on the road though a forest reserve getting closer to the 'Hoo Hoo Hut' where parents/support staff awaited with hot milo, tea, coffee and bacon & egg muffins straight from the BBQ. The breakfast break and sun light also brought more supporters in the way of younger students, parents and teachers.

I've almost forgot this is a mountain bike forum while writing this and here is what reminded me; a teacher that showed up to support at this time is also someone I'll call a mate of mine. Through school initially, then a bit more so through MTB. He is a keen mountain biker (Rides an 07 Giant Reign X1) but recently has less time for this passion now due to extra work commitments AND a baby! I had not met his son yet so my first meeting at the Hoo Hoo Hut after walking so far was something special, it lifted my spirits. He also shared a moment with me when we both mentioned our feelings of de-jav-u whilst standing in a forest reserve that is also our local hot spot for XC and DH. The next section of the walk was down a rough fire road/walking track followed by some tight and steep singletrack that I had ridden many times. Pretty sure I had never walked it so to do so then made it some what depressing. But with the sun up, food in me and the knowledge we were almost back, I decided walking on the same lines I would pick to ride, gave me some entertainment!

this out of focus photo is similar to how I was viewing the world, my friends will love me for posting this on the internet but 'pfft' they're all on facebook anyway.

We then entered the Cataract Gorge, and with Launceston in site at the end of the gorge, we trudged along. Another regroup at the mouth of the gorge and 1km down the road we set off with light drizzle beginning, awesome!... Along the Seaport board walk, then left on to the highway.

The school was in sight! just 4km to go. it seemed like the school was right in front of us but never getting closer but finally we were at the base of the hill with only 1km more. a rest and regroup then altogether we made our way up the hill, around the corner and on to the final straight. we 'marched' closely together, the whole school had come out to cheer us through. Physically and mentally it was a very hard, tiring experience. The best and worst thing I will ever do.

My personal aftermath - got home, shower, bed, sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow (12pm thursday), wake for a few minutes with nature calling, straight to bed, awake mid morning. 21 hours of solid recovery sleep was great, but didn't stop my legs feeling like that of an old man with arthritis. Thank you step mum for being a Naturopath&Homeopath and the treatment you have enlightened me with.

For those of you who read my account, thank you. I hope you feel compelled to either do something similar if you feel so inclined (I will never do it again, it was hell if you didn't figure that out from my massive whine above) for a good cause or please donate to the Kids Foundation.

The Kids Foundation is a charity which aids kids who are less fortunate than us, children who have suffered severe injuries, especially burns. In Australia, over 5,000 kids are seriously injured every day. By donating and supporting us you can make sure that the next generation of Australian's never have an average day.

Please excuse the large grammatical errors.

Please donate to this worthy charity by contacting:

The Chairman of the Walkathon Committee, Michael on;
E: michaelbpoland@gmail.com

Or Launceston Church Grammar School on;
Ph: 03 6336 6000
Web: lcgs.tas.edu.au

Thank you all for time.
Jervis Goodsell