Evil Undead!

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Ive been told they were using a prototype lighter rear end on that model, and have stepped up to a beefier one
From what I understand, due to the limitations of computer modelling, the man with the plan (Weagle) has decided that the best way to build a strong bike is to start off super light and reinforce whichever bits break. If you believe him the rear triangle that cracked at La Bresse was one of the original test ones whereas the the front triangle was new.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I understand, due to the limitations of computer modelling, the man with the plan (Weagle) has decided that the best way to build a strong bike is to start off super light and reinforce whichever bits break. If you believe him the rear triangle that cracked at La Bresse was one of the original test ones whereas the the front triangle was new.
Maybe not so much limitations of computer modelling, but lack of knowledge regarding carbon manufacturing and the forces which go into the bike at certain points.

Even if his theory of making a super-light bike first and then beefing up the areas which break is true surely you wouldn't put these unproven test bikes on a world stage before significant testing has occured. Showing the public the bike continuously failing isn't the best marketing plan for Evil and they are providing these unproven test bikes to riders who's carrier and livelihood is riding bikes. What if instead of the swingarm, the headtube snapped? Their riders are essentially guinea pigs? If what you say is true about Weagle's plan to build the bike I am failing to see the advantage in comparison to what other companies do when designing carbon bikes (measure forces going through the bike on proven, identical, usually aluminium bikes and then build the carbon bike to withstand these forces and to these specifications).

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe not so much limitations of computer modelling, but lack of knowledge regarding carbon manufacturing and the forces which go into the bike at certain points.

Even if his theory of making a super-light bike first and then beefing up the areas which break is true surely you wouldn't put these unproven test bikes on a world stage before significant testing has occured. Showing the public the bike continuously failing isn't the best marketing plan for Evil and they are providing these unproven test bikes to riders who's carrier and livelihood is riding bikes. What if instead of the swingarm, the headtube snapped? Their riders are essentially guinea pigs? If what you say is true about Weagle's plan to build the bike I am failing to see the advantage in comparison to what other companies do when designing carbon bikes (measure forces going through the bike on proven, identical, usually aluminium bikes and then build the carbon bike to withstand these forces and to these specifications).
Mate i can see where your coming from but ,
It was only the swing arm that cracked . At some point , All frame` s from All manufacture`s crack regardless of the brand shape or material . Ive cracked a couple chain stays and they just crack , there is no catastrophic death preventing fail unless continual used after . The Undead is only in testing , they probable have many swing arms there testing . So yes the swing arm was rubbish , yes the swing arm failed , but hay the bike is a proto . Why do people think the Evil bikes are on the WC and Champs ? Sure sales through podium and race finnish results , but testing is the main one . The guys ridding the Evil this year and past years have all pinned on the bike/s , I can understand the hate on Evil and they were a let down to there costumers , but if they sort the frame out and have a good Australian distributor there will be no reason not to buy the frame .

aidz44

Likes Dirt
If I where to break an alloy Revolt, it would be promptly changed for a Huffy.
Still the ugliest pieces of crap I have seen in some time.
don't be a hater, just my opinion ... which happens to be the correct one.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Nick, I think you need to remember that pretty much everything breaks on the World Cup Circuit, its just that we don't always hear about it.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Dude that's a pretty big generalisation and I'm not at all convinced it's true. Evidence?
Well I don't think you can argue that wheels aren't going to break, some ones that I can remember off the top of my head are:
-Athertons this year
-Minaar cracking his Envee wheels are Ft Bill
-Delfs reconfiguring his Deemax
-Specialized Monster say that they go through about 2-3 wheel sets for Sam on an average weekend

Drivetrain, I don't think I need to provide examples of these failures...

Cockpit stuff that I can think of...
-JD destroying his stem bars at MSA
-Yeti guys destroying their Sunline stuff

Suspension:
-Boxxers are pretty much always breaking...

Frames:
-Broken Socoms
-Broken Sessions
-Broken Glory's
-Broken Evils
-Broken Morewoods

I think you get the idea, if you still don't believe me, there is this new thing on the internet called Google, you should try it. :)

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the patronizing hint. Wheels etc don't count - we're talking frames. Seems to me most World Cup teams get through the season without cracking frames. Again, thanks for the tip.

indica

Serial flasher
That would be why riders are able to sell off the spare frames they have?
And you are in a position to know all this as fact?

heavyp

You heard it here first
Not sure if any of you guys have the july issue of Dirt (danny hart front cover) i had it a while ago and i saw its in the newsagents this week, there is a story in there about the evil from the main man at Evil.

Frame linkage has been completely changed beefed up as it could not take the forces put through it, also says that the new bikes will come with 3 choices of linkage/setup

The broken alloy frames were dodgy building "APPARENTLY" and there now working with a carbon manufacturer that makes carbon bikes for a few companies, they only have a handful of these carbon bikes and are testing them to see where they go wrong/break ect the process with carbon is you can just add layers to the area to beef it up and have a new frame and do the same again until there happy with it, whereas with alloy it would mean new tubes and tooling which would cost a lot more.

When the Evil Undead production starts the majority of the frames produced are going out to replace the alloy frames as they do not want to be known as a company that just built bad bikes and have bad customer service.

Last edited:

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
That would be why riders are able to sell off the spare frames they have?
And you are in a position to know all this as fact?
I'm assuming this was directed at me, in which case all I can say is that if you follow the World Cups, you would know that this is true.
Examples of frames being replaced midseason:
- Specialized Monster - Fairclough and Brosnan have been on at least 4 different frames that I've seen this year ( 3 x alloy and 1 x carbon)
- Trek World Racing team has changed bikes at least 3 times that I know of this year (2 x alloy and 1 x carbon)
- Santacruz - Replace their frames at least once (change to new frame at VDS) during the season, not exactly sure on how many though.
- Same goes for Scott 11, Animal Commencal, Morewood United Ride, Team GT, MS Evil, Giant etc...

indica

Serial flasher
From what I know of one rider, he gets different frames and generally has kept the old one and sold the new one, one was for sale here too, so it is not only to avoid failure, it is often a different frame because they can. Obviously they get new frames for the worlds so they can look pretty.
Not having a go, but based on what you have said -they ride different bikes does not mean that it is because the frames break,.
Google has yet to show me a broken Fury for example.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Google has yet to show me a broken Fury for example.
Like, like this? (First one on Google Images searching snapped GT Fury)

Manufacturers replace frames mid WC season to prevent excessive fatigue and minimise catastrophic frame failure, which not only puts the riders at risk but damages brand image....

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
Hadn't seen a Fury crack before, thanks for that pic.
As for the rest, all is good, Doesn't overly concern me I was just wondering if you know this to be fact or if it is google supplied information.

As for the Evil - they look like a good bike.

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love how the majority of you anti-evil or anti-carbon people and just generalizing hating morons who have neither owned an evil bike or carbon bike for that matter...

Firstly, carbon, stop reading 12 year olds opinions on the Internet and see what applications carbon is applied to. It is far superior to it's metal counterpart in many ways and applications... Having done courses in carbon lay up and vacuum processes (in a basic form) the positives out way the negatives. Yes, carbon can be repaired... Open a book for fucks sake and read before you look like an imbecile with your carbon hate issues...

Now for evil. Having bought a first gen frame, received a warranty replacement (as something to ride until a better option presented itself) I am disappointed with how my money has faired thus far.

BUT, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, this undead frame is taking a while, Kevin, the owner of Evil, is not shy in revealing what he has, what it still needs and what will happen to all the people disappointed by their first purchase. Sure, you can get impatient, but why, your going to get something that will run rings around your first product. Honestly, the haters are the impatient who sold their frame before the undead announcement.

I'm just a weekend hack. Imagine if you were put out after spending thousands for a frame that you rely on to race every weekend... That's life...

For all the revolts issues, it still rides like a great bike, no matter how much they molestered Dave Weagles design by taking an idea and changing it to suit them selves. This won't happen again on the carbon version...

Please, unless your have further info, stop talking shit to which you know sweet fuck all about. If your some sort of carbon expert, leave the age old debate to rest, or take it elsewhere...

I personally cannot wait till my undead arrives. Hopefully before Queenstown Jan 2012...!

Love...

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
Take a deep breath Torana (btw used to own a brown vinyl top one, great car!)
Kami and myself were merely having an argument, no need to get so worked up.
As the owner of a Fury I quite like a carbon DH bike.