EXO or Snakeskin casing?

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at getting a new set of AM tyres for an upcoming Canada trip. I was originally going to get myself a pair of the Highroller ll Exos, but then I noticed the equivalent Schwalbe tyres like the Hans Dampf, Magic Mary, Rock Razor etc in Snakeskin were a bit lighter, and would give me more choices.

I'm really just interested in the durability of the casings here. Has anyone used both Exo and Snakeskin cased tyres, and can comment on which was more resistant to flats, tears and just general abuse?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I have only ever run Maxxis exo (HR & Ardent) and have never had a drama. I have a mate who runs Schwalbe exclusively despite regularly ripping them up and chewing through tread really fast. He reckons he likes the feel better and can live with their delicate nature. He is insane though, and has broken his neck twice and bike three times.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
You're comparing oranges to mandarins....

The Maxxis are a different compound and from my experience will last longer.

Agree that Schwalbes feel nice though.

Depends on whether yo can afford to turn over tyres frequently

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys.

At this stage I don't care about anything other than what is tougher. I'm aware one tyre might grip better in a certain compound, or have a better longer lasting tread pattern etc etc. Just asking about the casings alone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

oriion

Likes Dirt
I've done about 1000KM on Hans Dampf snakeskins and I love them.

Can run low pressures, they grip like shit to a blanket - and rather durable too.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Based upon feel of the thickness and longevity, I would rate snakeskins as more durable than maxxis EXO. This is comparing nobby nics and racing Ralphs to Ikons. I'm not sure if more aggressive treads in either brand vary in casing thickness.

mint355

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at getting a new set of AM tyres for an upcoming Canada trip. I was originally going to get myself a pair of the Highroller ll Exos, but then I noticed the equivalent Schwalbe tyres like the Hans Dampf, Magic Mary, Rock Razor etc in Snakeskin were a bit lighter, and would give me more choices.

I'm really just interested in the durability of the casings here. Has anyone used both Exo and Snakeskin cased tyres, and can comment on which was more resistant to flats, tears and just general abuse?
I have run both, Maxxis and Schwalbe tyres. I ran this combo for a few years Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 trailstar on the front and racing Ralph 2.25 pace star on the rear both snakeskin. I am now running Maxxis high roller 2 3c exo tr 2.35 on the front and ardent race 2.2 3c exo tr on the rear they both offer great puncture protection but the schwalbe tyres wear A lot faster than the Maxxis tyres. In saying that I cut the sidewall on my ardent race last week first flat tyre in about..... Since I converted to tubeless....

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys. I suspect it is going to be much of a muchness.

I'm not sure if more aggressive treads in either brand vary in casing thickness.
It's hard to know. Is the ~200g (or 25%) weight difference between an Exo Ikon and an Exo Minion DHF totally just due to the tread block? Are the casings really exactly the same?

I have run both, Maxxis and Schwalbe tyres. I ran this combo for a few years Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 trailstar on the front and racing Ralph 2.25 pace star on the rear both snakeskin. I am now running Maxxis high roller 2 3c exo tr 2.35 on the front and ardent race 2.2 3c exo tr on the rear they both offer great puncture protection but the schwalbe tyres wear A lot faster than the Maxxis tyres. In saying that I cut the sidewall on my ardent race last week first flat tyre in about..... Since I converted to tubeless....
Pm'ed you for more info, I'm interested in these combos. Thanks.

Old C

Likes Bikes
Just to make the water a little murkier, you could also look at the Conti, X-Kings in "protection" series. They have been bullet proof for me so far

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks mate. I've actually got a set of protection Race Kings on a bike at the moment. I've managed to put a few holes in the sidewalls just hitting Brisbane xc tracks. I might have been unlucky, but it has still put me off the contis for anything like Canada

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
I think I've gone through 4 Hans Dampfs now, all retired just from tread wear. They've all been TrailStar (softer) compound though. The side knobs start to rip on the inside and "hinge" before they go completely. It does however make for a fun rear tire on dust, it slides around a lot.

My last one which I really wore out had a few small cuts in the casing that would cause some water from the tubeless sealant to show itself on the surrounding rubber, but never enough to cause an air leak or a problem.

Alternatively, I've had to retire two Ardent EXO (both these and the HDs are 29") due to cutting a hole in the case from a hard landing. The pressure was too low and the rim banged on the ground and ended up cutting the tire. I haven't torn the side, however. The Ardents do have a harder wearing compound but the HDs have a nicer and more predictable feel.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I've run maxxis exos for the last couple of uears without issue, thought I'd give schwalbe a try- I ordered a tubeless NN and a double defense RR(tr), easy to fit with a track pump and I rate the NN as a front tyre- the RR had massive bulges in the sidewall upon installation (30 psi), got sent a replacement which had the same issue- went through the process twice(3 tyres). I know shwalbe have a reputation for flimsy sidewalls but that's appalling. Never again.

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Don't bother with Schwalbe unless you get the SnakeSkin or DoubleDefence versions. The regular EVO TubelessReady Shwalbes have paper thin sidewalls and feel terrible at anything lower than 45psi.

I've been running the HansDampf 2.35" TrailStar Snakeskin up front with a Racing Ralph 2.25" Pacestar DoubleDefence on the rear and its a great combination. I would however go Pacestar front and rear next time as the Trail star wears very quickly.

As an aside, when people write RR in relation to Schwalbe tyres, are they referring to Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph? I dont rate the Rocket Ron but the Racing Ralph is excellent.

Last edited:

valium

Likes Dirt
assuming you're off to BC I wouldn't worry too much about the sidewalls, BC rock isn't nearly as angry and Aussie rock...

Whistler/Squamish/North Shore/Kamloops is dirt and smooth(ish) rocks rather than jagged tyre cutters.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, BC. Glad to hear that, I'm thinking something like an EXO or Snakeskin tyre would still be a bare minimum though.

Interesting stuff anway...plenty to think about. Thanks all

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are or do you plan on using it as a tubeless tire .
Im using the the EXO TR Tires . They feel the same as a minion DH tubless tire with slightly thinner side walls . The side walls are solid and I would feel confident using them as a light DH tire . They don't feel squishy in any way at 30/40 psi . I'm running a MINION DHF on the front and aDHR 2 on the rear BOTH 2.3 . Killer trail AM tire combo . I've never used schwalby or been tempted to .

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I'll be running them tubeless, hence the concern about the sidewalls.

That's great to hear. I'm still pretty keen on the exo hr lls.